Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#48767 - 01/28/02 11:32 PM IP address?
stott Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Jose, CA
Hey Outlaw's,
I am considering an IR1000 when they are released. I have a question. Since I have significant network at home how does hte IR1000 get it's IP address (I assume it requires one). Can it be changed if I am already using the IP it has specified or does it use DHCP or do I have to set the default gateway? How does it work in general communications wise? Anyone?

Thanks

------------------
Stott

#48768 - 01/29/02 12:09 AM Re: IP address?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I'm guessing that we won't have definite answers until a manual goes up, but I'd expect the IR-1000 to do one of two things (and probably give the option of whichever one you prefer): manually assign an IP address, or get one through DHCP. If your home network has broadband, I'm guessing you've got a router (I have a D-Link at home, and a Linksys at the office) -- that router probably has a DHCP server that can be used to hand out IP addresses.

They can't be pre-assigning these things addresses, so there will have to be some flexibility here. I'm personally curious to see how this thing hangs itself onto the net.

------------------
Gonk

#48769 - 01/29/02 02:17 AM Re: IP address?
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
I'm wondering the same thing. I'm also wondering, along those lines, if my broadband connection will see it as a second computer and I'll have to pay my ISP for two computers if I use it, or is it masked somehow? Been holding off asking too many detailed questions until the manual goes up, or until I get a call saying I'm a beta tester (wishfull thinking I know, but hey, ya gotta dream, right?).

#48770 - 01/29/02 02:34 AM Re: IP address?
stott Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Jose, CA
Depending on your broadband connection it may see it as only one computer or two. I have a DSL router that only sees one machine that is a firewall/DHCP server/Router. So technically the ISP only ever sees one computer. My firewall. This isn't the only way to do it of course. Regardless you shouldn't have to pay no matter how many computers you hook up on the back end.

------------------
Stott

[This message has been edited by stott (edited January 29, 2002).]

#48771 - 01/29/02 07:32 AM Re: IP address?
psklenar Offline
Desperado

Loc: Southern New England, USA
Not having spoken with Scott or anyone about these details yet, I agree that the only thing that really makes sense is for the IR1000 to request an IP (and the other info - Gateway, DNS, etc) via DHCP. Thus the best option would be to have a home router that can act as a DHCP server. Like Stott, I've got a D-Link (mine's the DI704).

------------------
pat----

email: pat@sklenar.info ---===--- home page: Grumpy's Lair

#48772 - 01/29/02 08:04 AM Re: IP address?
gonk Offline
Desperado

I actually had an unrelated question about the IR1000 that I e-mailed Outlaw about recently, and part of my answer also answered this question. They confirmed that the IR1000 will have DHCP, and that you can alternately select an IP address manually. From the description I got, it will be very similar to setting up TCP/IP for a computer or a router (no surprise here, as there are just certain things that such a device has to be told) -- DHCP is the easiest way, but they're giving you the option to do it manually.

Owl's_Warder, your question of the ISP seeing two computers or one is a good one, and I'm sure one that will be addressed in the manual (and probably the FAQ). Stott pretty much nailed it on the head, too. Apparently the IR1000 doesn't require any monthly subscription to use, but it will need Internet access. If you have broadband with only one computer on it (for example, cable modem with your computer's network card plugged directly into the cable modem), adding the IR1000 without a router will mean that you'll have to lease two IP addresses, which typically costs extra (you'd also need a hub or switch). A router will hide all of your computers (and computer-like devices, *cough* IR1000 *cough*) from the ISP, presenting itself as the only computer. If you don't already have a hub and want to hook one of these up, I'd suggest one of the combination router+hub devices (Linksys makes a 4-port switch / router that we have at work, it's pretty nice).

------------------
Gonk

#48773 - 01/29/02 08:08 AM Re: IP address?
kenty Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Hudsonville, MI, USA
Owl,
I have my home network set up the same way that Stott does. With Routers for under $100(I have a Linksys-very happy with it), I would recommend everyone with a broadband connection and more than one computer get one. They are relatively easy to set up, add a level of security and as Stott said, you only need 1 IP address from your service provider. The Router hands out internal IP's for the rest of your equipment. Hands down the way to go in my opinion.

Kent

#48774 - 01/29/02 10:55 AM Re: IP address?
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Hey, thanks for the ideas guys! Just when I thought I had a handle on what I'd need for home networking... So any particular model of the Linksys router? Sounds like the solution for me. I was planning to set up home network anyway and that definitely sounds like the best option to me.

#48775 - 01/29/02 11:17 AM Re: IP address?
gonk Offline
Desperado

The Linksys router/switch that I mentioned is a very good way to set up a small home network. It'll let you network up to four PC's (or three PC's and one IR-1000, or two PC's and two IR-1000's, or....). The model number is BEFSR41. Here is a link to it at DataComm Warehouse, and here is a link to it at Linksys's site. It is a 10/100 4-port switch, which is similar to a network hub -- only difference is a switch offers more bandwidth. A 10/100 hub has up to 100mbit of bandwidth that all connections share, whereas a 10/100 switch can provide 100mbit between any pair of ports. Not really critical for a home network, but certainly a plus.

I also came across an interesting product when I was looking for the info on the unit above: Linksys also makes a router/4-port switch/wireless access point . It sells at DataComm Warehouse for $175 ($15 more than the wireless access point alone).

------------------
Gonk

#48776 - 01/29/02 12:20 PM Re: IP address?
psklenar Offline
Desperado

Loc: Southern New England, USA
And just to present an alternative view (on this BBS? ) ... I use and highly recommend the D-Link equipment. I use the DI-704 Broadband Gateway for my router, it includes a NAT Server, DHCP Server, hardware firewall & a four port 10/100 Switch. They also have a verion that includes a print server called the DI-704P . And versions that include a wireless port and 3 wired connetions, an 8 port switch, etc etc etc. I've been very happy with mine and have three friends who've bought DI-704's are are happy with them.

A quick search of Price Watch shows new DI-704P's starting at $53 plus S&H.

Either way, Linksys or D-Link, I suspect you'll be just fine. Good luck,

------------------
pat----

email: pat@sklenar.info ---===--- home page: Grumpy's Lair

#48777 - 01/29/02 01:04 PM Re: IP address?
gonk Offline
Desperado

D-Link is a good choice, too (I did get sort of Linksys-centric with that last post ). I don't have as much experience with their stuff, but I do use the same D-Link router that Pat has at home and it has served me well for almost 2 years now.

------------------
Gonk

#48778 - 01/29/02 01:20 PM Re: IP address?
kenty Offline
Gunslinger

yup, the wireless is definetely an interesting option. you'll pay about double to go that route and you'll still have to run a cable to the IR1000 as it is not wireless ready. Overall I would say using CAT 5 cable is going to be your cheapest solution. It's a no brainer if your house is already wired for ethernet. And you can run both at the same time, just hook the wireless access point into your hardwired hub.
There are really a lot of great options for home networking. A couple opinions:
1. If you are going wireless stick with the 802.11b standard, it seems to have the most momentum, I would stay away from the HomeRF stuff.
2. If you're wiring I would go with ethernet and CAT-5 cable. I have no experience with the networks that run over your phone line, but my preference would be a dedicated data network for performance reasons.

my 2 cents

#48779 - 01/29/02 02:12 PM Re: IP address?
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Thanks guys! After reading your posts and doing some online searches I think I'll probably pick myself up one of those D-link DI-704 units. D-link is running a special with a $20.00 mail in rebate for DI-704's purchased b/n now and March 31st. Buy.com seems to have the lowest price I can find among those supporting the rebate which means I can get one for a total of $51.95 plus shipping. See the details here .

Thanks again!

#48780 - 01/29/02 04:52 PM Re: IP address?
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
I've got one of the Linksys units... the one without the built-in hub. It works well, most of the time, but occasionally hangs. Mostly if I haven't used it in a while, but sometimes when I'm actually using it. Traffic just stops going through it, and it won't answer pings. Rebooting it (unplug, then plug) solves the problem.

I do leave all my PCs on 24/7 so it could just be that it wasn't designed to be running for an extended period of time.

Sometimes it'll hang twice in an hour, and sometimes it'll run for weeks before hanging. It's not too terribly annoying, since the fix is easy, so I never bugged tech support about it. YMMV.

#48781 - 01/29/02 05:08 PM Re: IP address?
kenty Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthew Hill:
I've got one of the Linksys units... the one without the built-in hub.

I believe I have the same one. There is a new firmware upgrade available at the linksys site. Might fix your problem.

Kent

#48782 - 01/29/02 05:40 PM Re: IP address?
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Hey -- I'll try that. Thanks.

#48783 - 02/08/02 12:08 PM Re: IP address?
charlie Offline
Desperado

LinkSys also has a nifty model with an 802.11b station in it.....

Surf from your sofa!

Charlie

#48784 - 02/08/02 04:53 PM Re: IP address?
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Apple's got one of those, two. Works with circuitry built into all of their PCs & notebooks now. I'm thinking of upgrading my iMac and I might spring for one of those when I do.

Of course, ideally I'd have iMacs scattered around the house, so I'd never be away from Internet. And a notebook for when I wanted to surf from the couch. Of course, that would preclude spending money on things like the 950, the 770, food, the rent...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts