Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#48706 - 10/09/02 08:32 PM ICBM Twixt DVD-A and Receiver with 2 Subs, Will I ...
2x6spds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Newport Beach, CA, USA
If I use an ICBM between a DVD-A and Receiver (Onkyo 797 THX) and plug 2 subs into the ICBM, will I have output from both subs if I'm listening to a non DVD-A source?

For example, I listen to music from digital cable, or movies from a digital cable TV source. This signal goes directly into the receiver and never touches the DVD-A unit. Will I get output from my subs from these sources?

How about using my DVD-A player for movies. Currently I have a Toslink connection from the DVD-A to the Receiver. Do I disconnect the Toslink and just use the dozen Outlaw cables I just got?

I'm sure this has already been discussed, but I'm hoping for a quick response since I just received my ICBM and am hot to hook it up.

Thanks in advance.

------------------

#48707 - 10/09/02 11:09 PM Re: ICBM Twixt DVD-A and Receiver with 2 Subs, Will I ...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
1) If you plug your subs directly into the ICBM (which is between the DVD-A player and the receiver), you will only get the subs when using the DVD-Audio player's analog output. Probably not the way to go. I'd set the ICBM up for a single sub, run that signal to the receiver, and leave the subs hooked up to the receiver as they are now.

2) When watching regular DVD's on the DVD-Audio player, you have the option of either (A) using the player's decoder (which will let you use the ICBM for bass management) or (B) continuing to use the digital output (which will force you to rely on the Onkyo's bass management, but will allow you to use the Onkyo's THX processing). I'd leave the toslink connection in place and probably compare the two, but you may find yourself wanting to stick with the player's digital output for movies.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#48708 - 10/10/02 01:16 AM Re: ICBM Twixt DVD-A and Receiver with 2 Subs, Will I ...
2x6spds Offline
Gunslinger

Thank you Gonk.

Too bad the ICBM doesn't have a Toslink or coax input/output so we could use the stereo sub for all digital sources.

#48709 - 10/10/02 09:18 AM Re: ICBM Twixt DVD-A and Receiver with 2 Subs, Will I ...
gonk Offline
Desperado

The stereo sub thing could be handy, but actually implementing it without using the ICBM for all bass management functions would be a problem. Keep in mind, the ICBM is a purely "analog" device -- no digital processing involved. Using some sort of digital I/O to make it the focal point for all subwoofer information would be a strange trick. The only way to really do it effectively is to put the ICBM downstream of the receiver or pre/pro (before a separate amplifier), in which case the ICBM works as it is now.

Now, Outlaw could always make a "stereo sub" box that would be connected to the sub output of a receiver or pre/pro, but it wouldn't be able to do the left/right bass steering that the ICBM does without access to the original left and right channels. In that case, you'd have something like Paradigm's X-20 or X-30 control units .

------------------

#48710 - 10/10/02 08:17 PM Re: ICBM Twixt DVD-A and Receiver with 2 Subs, Will I ...
2x6spds Offline
Gunslinger

OK, I'm confused again.

I have an Onkyo 797 with 6 amplified channels, but 7 channel preouts. I use the internal amp for channels 1-5, and an outboard amp (Denon 2 x 85 watt, PMA500V) for the back surround channels (6+7)

I have the Toshiba DVD-A with 5.1 channels out (center, Front L+R, Side Surround L+R and Subwoofer)

I have the ICBM-1 with 12 beautiful pearly Outlaw cables attached so far only to the ICBM sitting on my coffee table.

I have 2 subwoofers.

How do I hook all these pieces together?

Slightly overwhelmed and hoping for help.

#48711 - 10/10/02 08:57 PM Re: ICBM Twixt DVD-A and Receiver with 2 Subs, Will I ...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Sorry about that -- couldn't leave well enough alone, I guess...

DVD-Audio 5.1 analog out to ICBM (left, right, center, left surround, right surround, sub).

ICBM out to 5.1 analog input on Onkyo 797 multi-channel input (left, right, center, left surround, right surround, sub). The surround back inputs on the Onkyo's multi-channel in are ignored here.

DVD player digital out to Onkyo 797 (for DVD-Video sources -- it's the only way to make use of THX Surround EX).

Left, right, center, left surround, and right surround speakers connected to Onkyo 797.

Left and right surround back pre-amp outputs to Denon amp.

Left and right surround back speakers connected to Denon amp.

Both subs connected to a splitter on the sub output from the Onkyo (they both get the same signal in this scenario).

------------------

#48712 - 10/10/02 10:15 PM Re: ICBM Twixt DVD-A and Receiver with 2 Subs, Will I ...
2x6spds Offline
Gunslinger

Thank you again!

That was a tour de force! I no longer feel intimidated. I'm going to wait for daylight and hook 'er up.

Thanks pardner.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 90 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM