Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#48625 - 05/28/02 04:35 PM Considering buying an ICBM
jhoak Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Central Florida
I'm giving serious thought to adding an ICBM to my system. I'm in the early stages of acquiring DVD-A' and loving the sound with a few minor exceptions. Of course any and all feedback is appreciated.

I currently have: Pioneer Elite VSX-39TX, JBL S38's (mains), JBL S-Center, JBL HTI8 (in wall surrounds), JBL S120PII sub, and a Panasonic RP91.

The speakers reside in a largish entertainment center along with all of the other electronics. Don't bother to try to get me to take them out of the cabinet. The decorator has spoken... I lost... end of story... There in lies the problem....

In spite of multiple layers of isolation (VibraPods) under the speakers and all of the "mechanical" devices in the cabinet I'm still having issues with deep bass at high volumes (85+ db). The only answer so far has been to set the speakers to "small" in the receiver (the DVD is set to large) and let it try to re-route the bass to the sub. Let's just say that I'm not happy with the results. The available crossover frequencies ar 80, 100 & 150 Hz. I really believe that the mains could stand to be set to 60 (or so) so long as I could set the center to 100 (or higher) and not be trying to pump so much bass to the surrounds (they just can't handle it).

Tell me... Does it sound like I'm a good candidate for an ICBM?

THANX!

#48626 - 05/29/02 07:52 PM Re: Considering buying an ICBM
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
The ICBM is for routing before amplification. I don't see a separate amp in your component list. Is your player connected with 5.1 inputs? If so, you could hook the ICBM up between the player and receiver and then bypass all bass management for those channels in the receiver.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 100 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM