Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#48588 - 04/30/02 07:10 AM ICBM ! Can it help me?
Martice Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
I have a pre/pro that when playing 2-channel analog playback will not allow the the sub to play when the fronts are set to the 'Large' setting. In the digital movie formats it gives me the choice of Large and Small with the sub on but once I use the 2-channel mode the sub won't play if I set the front setting to Large.

Does anyone know of a configuration using the ICBM that would help me? I'm using a amp/preamp setup to give you an idea of my options.

Thanks

#48589 - 04/30/02 08:33 AM Re: ICBM ! Can it help me?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The ICBM should be able to help -- I think the manual touches on this exact scenario. You can connect the left and right main pre-amp outputs and the subwoofer output into the ICBM, and then go from the ICBM to the subwoofer and the left and right mains on the amp. The ICBM will then let you pass off whatever low frequency you want to the sub.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#48590 - 04/30/02 09:01 AM Re: ICBM ! Can it help me?
Martice Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks Gonk. I guess I'll be ordering that ICBM. My crossover is way too high for my liking at 100hz.

Thanks again.

------------------
Beauties & the Beast

#48591 - 04/30/02 09:16 AM Re: ICBM ! Can it help me?
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
It'll also let you set different crossover points for different sets of speakers -- which is nice.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#48592 - 04/30/02 11:38 AM Re: ICBM ! Can it help me?
Martice Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Wait a minute. What concerns me is this. When using the ICBM in between the preamp and the amp, am I to set all of the settings on my preamp to large so that the full signal is passed through the pre/pro without any crossover points until it gets to the ICBM? If that's so, I won't be able to get a sub signal from my pre pro because it doesn't allow the use of a sub when the fronts are set to the 'Large' setting when in 2-channel stereo mode.

Should I turn the sub setting off on the pre/pro so that the all of the bass information is sent to the front L and R channels and then cross them over with the ICBM?

I hope I'm off on this one.

------------------
Beauties & the Beast

#48593 - 04/30/02 11:42 AM Re: ICBM ! Can it help me?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Yes, set the mains to "large". The pre/pro will not output anything to the sub, but the ICBM will take that "empty" sub input and add in the low frequency information from the mains and pass that combined signal to the subwoofer. Meanwhile, for movies the pre/pro will output the soundtrack's LFE signal only to the sub and the ICBM will continue to add in the low frequency from the mains and send the combined signal to the sub.

Does that help?

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#48594 - 04/30/02 12:48 PM Re: ICBM ! Can it help me?
Martice Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Yes it does tremendously!! I ordered an ICBM right after reading your above post.

Thanks again!!!

------------------
Beauties & the Beast

#48595 - 05/01/02 06:07 PM Re: ICBM ! Can it help me?
billdean Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Manakin-Sabot, VA USA
Martice -

All that has been said is true about the ICBM and 2 channel analog otput from your pre/pro - Set the mains to large and let the ICBM cross it over to the sub at the point of your choice.

Also, the ICBM has a front panel sub level control. If you are used to reaching down to the sub to adjust sub output volume, those days are gone. As an added bennie, the ICBM has a front panel LFE mix control. Say you are listening to a 5.1 or DTS DVD and you adjust the sub volume to where the output from the L-R speakers, which has been redirected to the sub, sounds good. However, the LFE output is either too strong or too low to blend well with the other bass. The ICBM has an LFE mix control that will let you adjust the amount of LFE in the total sub output. Then when you adjust the sub output, the ratio of LFE to overall bass stays the same as the overall sub volume increases or decreases. Sounds complicated, but very intuitive, once you start tinkering with it.

Needless to say, I like my ICBM.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 84 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM