Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#48553 - 02/27/02 06:54 PM LFE
GAB Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Marlborough, MA USA
Is there a way to route ONLY the LFE information on a CD or DVD to your subwoofer. I'd like my mains to handle all the bass on my recordings. Do I need the ICBM to accomplish this? Will the 950 have this ability.

Thanks

#48554 - 02/27/02 09:45 PM Re: LFE
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I'm a little slow this week, so bear with me if I have misunderstood your question.

If I understand you correctly, you want to only use the subwoofer for the low frequency effects track (the LFE or ".1"), not for low frequency material from the other channels. If so, you will want to disable any and all bass management -- by default, Dolby Digital and DTS recordings only send the LFE channel to the sub. You would need to set all of your speakers to "large" to defeat any bass management that might be present. That is certainly feasible without an ICBM, and well within the 950's abilities. Unless you have true full-range speakers all the way around, though, you may want to set your center and surrounds to "small" and let the sub take the low end for them; you could still leave the mains "large" and they would handle the bass. Again, so far we're still talking about fairly simple bass management that would not require an ICBM.

Does that help at all?

------------------
Gonk

#48555 - 02/28/02 08:22 AM Re: LFE
GAB Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Marlborough, MA USA
Thanks. That answers my question. I did not realize that if you disabled bass management in a DD receiver (ie. set speakers to "Large"), that the LFE would be the only bass information routed to the subwoofer. Thanks again for the insight.

GAB

Who's Online
0 registered (), 130 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM