Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#4849 - 06/12/06 06:09 PM lightning strike
curtis Offline
Gunslinger

it happened - lightning took out my 1050 yesterday. I've searched for threads on this topic and have not been successful in finding any further info - so...

the yellow standby led lights up when the unit is plugged in and master switch set to on, but... green power button doesn't do anything.

I've checked the fuse, it's ok, and obviously, taking it out to look at it means that I re-seated it when it went back in.

Has anyone had luck with local repair shops?? I've contacted Outlaw about sending it back to them, but no response yet. In the meantime, I was just wondering if anyone can offer troublshooting suggestions or likely culprits inside the case that should be checked first.

Thanks.

#4850 - 06/12/06 06:49 PM Re: lightning strike
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Zapped by lighting? Ouch! Outlaw should be able to give you some good info on getting it fixed - I know they've been busy since returning from the HE show and rolling out the LFM-1 Plus (and probably the 7200 shortly), but they'll get back to you soon. I know they've invited folks to ship back to them so they could do service for things like this, which is likely to be more reliable than a local shop that's never seen a 1050 before, but they can also run you through whatever troubleshooting checklists they have. It sounds to me like you've made a good first pass at that sort of thing, though. Best of luck with reviving the 1050.

#4851 - 06/13/06 08:17 AM Re: lightning strike
Cadboy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Have you tried calling Outlaw, or just send an email? If you keep trying by phone, you will eventually get a hold of Steve in tech support. He will probably suggest sending the 1050 to them so they can diagnose it. You gotta ask yourself if it will be worth the time/expense to seek out a fix, or simply replace the unit. It is still a solid performer compared with current products from other brands, but it's processing is getting a bit dated. The amp section is great though!

#4852 - 06/13/06 11:23 AM Re: lightning strike
curtis Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks all for the replys - I'll probably call today, things are busy at work right now so I've not had time to really deal with it yet...

cadboy - I'm always torn by the whole issue of the cost/benefit of repairing old gear that is dated in some fashion, and this could be an opportunity to upgrade without having to hear the old argument about "why would you want to replace a prefectly good piece of equipment...???" - but I like the 1050 enough as an amp that it's worth it to me to get it fixed as long as it doesn't cost too much. I can also see where a repaired 1050 could come in handy as the guts of a surround system for our sunroom. it would be a big upgrade from the built-in sound on the TV...(oh -if my wife only knew...)

#4853 - 11/06/06 05:45 PM Re: lightning strike
curtis Offline
Gunslinger

Just to let everyone know how this turned out. It really is gratifying to know how well they handled this.

After speaking with Steve on the phone, I let the unit sit in timeout for several weeks, apparently it's possible for the boards to get scrambled by a power surge and leaving the unit unplugged for a long enought period might allow it to reset and correct itself. Unfortunately - this didn't work for me, so we decided to send the unit back to Outlaw for them to give it a once over. They were unable to rescuscitate my 1050 because the lightning cooked the main board, the power supply, and who knows what else...??? At this point, Steve offered to send me a different (reconditioned?) unit for a nominal 'repair' fee, which was well within the range of what I was willing to pay for fixing the thing in the first place.

So I got the 'new' unit back, plugged everything in and everything is back to full working order.

This is the high point of customer service as far as I can tell, standing behind the product and taking care of the customer even when it was clear that the unit had failed because of a direct lightning strike.

Kudos to Steve and all the Outlaws!!!!!

#4854 - 11/06/06 06:09 PM Re: lightning strike
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
That's a great story, curtis - glad to hear that the old 1050 lives again (in some form at least), especially since it sounds like the lightning strike was about as major as they get.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 73 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts