Topic Options
#48418 - 09/24/02 01:32 PM Surge Protecter/Filter For 770
bigpipe Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: scotts,mi.usa
i was wondering what would be a good surge
protecter / filter for the 770. my power
blinks on me all the time. i use a UPS for my
computer which filters also. I would like something similar for my amp. thinking of using
a UPS for other stuff like 950/cd/vcr.
please e-mail me. bigpipe@glol.net

ron
in kalamazoo, mi

#48419 - 09/27/02 05:11 PM Re: Surge Protecter/Filter For 770
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
It is better to have answers posted in the conference here so that others may benefit from them. When you post a new topic you may specify that copies of follow-up posts be automatically mailed to you.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#48420 - 10/07/02 01:11 PM Re: Surge Protecter/Filter For 770
bigpipe Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: scotts,mi.usa
Quote:
Originally posted by Matthew Hill:
It is better to have answers posted in the conference here so that others may benefit from them. When you post a new topic you may specify that copies of follow-up posts be automatically mailed to you.

i dont mind if someone replies to my question
here in the conference, its just that i dont get here that much and wanted to know asap

#48421 - 10/07/02 05:02 PM Re: Surge Protecter/Filter For 770
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
Which is why I suggested that you set up the topic to automatically mail you responses -- it's one of the checkboxes when you create the topic.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#48422 - 10/07/02 05:15 PM Re: Surge Protecter/Filter For 770
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
As for the question of surge protection / filtering on a power amp, there are a number of good options -- I use a Panamax MAX5100 with my 750 and have been very satisfied. Others here have used other products from Panamax (the MAX5300 has been mentioned several times), and there are some smaller companies like Balanced Power Technologies that have more expensive products. Anything along these lines would likely serve you well for the 770 and the other equipment (950, DVD, VCR, ...).

You mentioned a computer UPS. UPS's on power amps are rare. They are not much of a problem for low power usage devices like DVD players, VCR's, or pre/pros, but for something like a power amp I'd be wary of using a computer UPS. You'd need something capable of handling the power demand of an amp (specs on the 770 call for 1800W).

I think I've seen others around here comment on this, but don't remember any specifics right now.

EDIT: I guess the best answer is that there are several good surge protection / line conditioners available, but that a UPS may not be very cost-effective. I poked around APC's site for a few minutes, and came across this page (SmartUPS product line). If you set the "run time calculator" to use an 1800W load (the peak load of a Model 770) and recalculate, only the 3000VA and larger units remain listed, with a run-time of 8 minutes and a price tag of $1700+. The surge protection and line conditioning is worthwhile, but I think I'd probably pass on the UPS.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

[This message has been edited by gonk (edited October 07, 2002).]

Who's Online
0 registered (), 151 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Helson 1
patm1198 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts