Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#48396 - 05/18/02 03:56 AM 770 vs. Seperate LeAmps (IRDs) ????
dsmith5740 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Carrollton, Texas, USA
1) I am purchasing the new Outlaw 950 pre/pro. I have the option of bundling it with a 770 power amp. I've heard good stuff about this amp, but I've been leaning towards 5 LeAmps (IRD's) My questions are.....is there really that much of a difference in going with the seperate LeAmps, vs. an Outlaw bigboy such as the 770? Is the difference really worth having multiple power cords everywhere? I'm an aspiring audiophile, and I do appreciate good quality sound, both in HT & music. But, this config will be used 80% of the time for HT.

I have to make up my mind by tomorrow on the Outlaw amp; one way or the other.

2) Can anyone give me some tips on setting up the multiple amp configuration in my HT room? Is it best to place each amp block near (or under) each speaker? Would it be better to run long "interconnect" cables to each amp, and then run higher-grade quality short speaker cables to each individual speaker from the nearby LeAmp?

3) Or do folks have them all up front, with short interconnects and running long speaker wire to the rear surrounds?

4) Is it feasible to "Fly" or hang the rear surround speakers? Does anyone out there have any snapshots of folks suspending their surrounds from the ceiling? I know I shouldn't have them too close t oa wall, do to rear porting.

Thank you,

Don Smith
dsmith5740@attbi.com

#48397 - 05/18/02 12:11 PM Re: 770 vs. Seperate LeAmps (IRDs) ????
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Hey there Don.

1) I don't know much about the LeAmps, so I don't know what the difference might be.

2) The "ideal" recommendation that I've seen for multiple monoblocks is to get the amps as close to the speakers as possible -- long interconnects from pre/pro to amp, short speaker cables. It's good advise, but it's also advise that is rarely feasible. Locating individual amps around the room and providing clean power to all those locations tend to make it difficult, and of course the appearance of 5-channel and 7-channel amps in recent years has made it even more common for people to use long speaker cable runs from a central amp or amp "stack."

3) This is the most common...

4) Depends on the surround speakers. If you have rear-ported speakers for your surround backs, you definitely don't want to smack them up against a wall. Are stands an option? If not, perhaps a shelf that's a few inches deeper than the speaker? As for ceiling mounting, I'm sure it could be done, but short of building a shelf and suspending it from board or rod I don't know of a way that I would trust (I wouldn't want to drill into the cabinet to attach anchors if I could avoid it). If you had access to the rafters above the ceiling (like from an attic), you could put in some braces between the rafters, drop through the ceiling with some rods, and mount a shelf onto the ends of the rods.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#48398 - 05/18/02 03:02 PM Re: 770 vs. Seperate LeAmps (IRDs) ????
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Here's a haphazard pic of my ceiling mount configuration. Just took yhis quick for ya since you're on a time limit.

My Bostons fire front and rear so when I close the door, I get a nice enveloping sound field on the couch. The couch is located below and just forward of the speakers shown here. Plus, you may see my attic access in the back of the room. This made it easy to hang these speakers (and route wires) which, by the way, came with brackets that worked equally as well for ceiling or wall mount.

EDIT: Changed location of image.

[This message has been edited by Owl's_Warder (edited July 07, 2002).]

#48399 - 05/18/02 03:15 PM Re: 770 vs. Seperate LeAmps (IRDs) ????
morphsci Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charleston, IL, USA
Well I guess I have a weird configuration. Up front I have the TV and Sat Box. I also have two Marantz MA-500 monoblocks running the front right and left. I use serious speaker cables on the fronts for stereo. In back I have my sources and my 1050 (soon to be 950) as well as four MA-500's. I have 40' interconnects going to the front R and L amps and a 40' speaker cable to the center. The arrangement of sources behind is due to WAF ( and it does look less crowded that way) and the use of the longer speaker wire to the front helps balance the fronts and centers. They are all the same manufacturer but the center is much more efficient than the L and R so I wanted a shorter speaker wire run for the front L and R. I am currently constructing in-wall patch bays to make swapping things in and out and moving them front to back easier. I am personally very happy with the flexibility of the monoblocks. I also use a couple of Monster Power units for surge protection, power management and delayed turn-on of the amps.

#48400 - 05/18/02 03:47 PM Re: 770 vs. Seperate LeAmps (IRDs) ????
steves Offline
Desperado

Loc: Oregon
Hi Don,
I have not heard the LeAmps. I can tell you that I have the 770 and have absolutely no complaints about its performance. I personally like the simplification of having all 7 channels in one "container". Works for me. I personally do not believe mono amps will sound any better, but many "audiophiles" do. Try the 770, you can always send it back if you don't like it. Well, that's easier said than done- it's a HEAVY monster!

#48401 - 05/18/02 08:48 PM Re: 770 vs. Seperate LeAmps (IRDs) ????
morphsci Offline
Gunslinger

As far as the weight, the 770 is not out of the ordinary. For example:

770, 90 lbs, 7 channels, 12.9 lbs/channel
755, 78 lbs, 5 channels, 15.6 lbs/channel
MA-500, 13.2 lbs, 1 channel, 13.2 lbs/channel

Not a whole lot of difference, just a lot of channels in one package.

Do not get me wrong I am not comparing the sonic attributes of these amps, just an observation on the weight issue, which seems to come up a lot.

[This message has been edited by morphsci (edited May 18, 2002).]

#48402 - 05/19/02 03:42 PM Re: 770 vs. Seperate LeAmps (IRDs) ????
steves Offline
Desperado

Loc: Oregon
Quote:
...just a lot of channels in one package.

That was exactly what I was saying-heavy- in that it's not something you want to move around every day. 13.2 pounds-- much easier.

[This message has been edited by steves (edited May 19, 2002).]

#48403 - 05/19/02 08:34 PM Re: 770 vs. Seperate LeAmps (IRDs) ????
morphsci Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by steves:
That was exactly what I was saying-heavy- in that it's not something you want to move around every day. 13.2 pounds-- much easier.

Exactly, thats why I like my monoblocks, flexible placement and easier on the back.

[This message has been edited by morphsci (edited May 20, 2002).]

#48404 - 05/20/02 05:48 PM Re: 770 vs. Seperate LeAmps (IRDs) ????
Everett Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Brevard, N.C.
ATI 2505 116lbs/24lbs per channel

#48405 - 07/30/02 10:00 PM Re: 770 vs. Seperate LeAmps (IRDs) ????
Always Overkill Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Rhode Island USA
Parasound HCA-3500 85lbs/42.5lbs per channel. This puppy has a current capacity of 120 amperes peak per channel. I love this amp, just not moving it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM