Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#48328 - 04/05/02 03:53 PM Let us know...
jacket_fan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Is anyone getting a 950 also getting a 770? Or just getting a 770?

Have any shipped yet?

Let us know what you think when you do.

Will we need a crane to lift it? How hot does it run. Any problems?

mj

#48329 - 04/05/02 04:03 PM Re: Let us know...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
From Matthew's post earlier today, he was going to need assistance getting his 755 into place in the rack (not surprising, I about killed myself coaxing my 750 into place, and the new amps are heavier). It looks like the 755's and 770's are ready or real close to it and will be shipping with the 950's, so there should be some folks out there getting 770's next week.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart

#48330 - 04/05/02 04:15 PM Re: Let us know...
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
Yes, it is HEAVY. The box was stamped 90 lbs and I believe it. The packing material had some heft to it, though, so it's not quite that heavy, but close. I think I remember the 770 being listed as 15 lbs heavier than the 755, though.

The power cord is also the thickest I've ever seen; thicker by far than the cord of the surge suppressor into which it's plugged. It also has some weird heavy-duty connector at the 755 end, not the normal connector you see on most electronic hardware and PCs. Outlaw could probably send you one if you lost it but I don't know where else you'd find one.

I think my rack is about 8" from shelf to shelf, so like RAF it's going to be a tight fit for me. I think I may not move it into place until after my 950 arrives.

As I understand it, the 755's are ready to roll, and I would assume that the 770's are as well. I got mine sooner, I think, because I complained a bit too much about stuff not shipping on another forum. Otherwise they were probably intending to ship them along with the 950 orders. I'm very happy to have my amp earlier, though. If you call or write the Outlaws they just might ship you yours before your 950 goes out.

I also think the $100 I paid DHL to get it here would have been worth it even if all they did was carry it from the truck to my 3rd floor walkup. The fact that it got here (from some place in LA I think?) in about 17 hours from the time Jamen called me to ask if I wanted it is seriously impressive.

Oh yeah. It sounds GOOD.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#48331 - 04/23/02 12:58 AM Re: Let us know...
steves Offline
Desperado

Loc: Oregon
Quote:
Let us know what you think when you do.

I haven't seen any reports yet on this amp (other than RAF's report on the 755)so I thought I might put in my .02. Well, I've had the 770 in the house for about 10 days now. Like everyone else, I'm waiting for my 950(I need that 950!)to upgrade my system. In the meantime, I went ahead and hooked it up using a RXV850 Yamaha receiver as a preamp for now. I've been listening to music through two older CD players (Philips, Nakamichi,) an older CAL Audio Sigma II DAC and a Toshiba 2700 DVD player. My mains are B&W Matrix 803's.

This is a fine amp. I like it. Great resolution and depth. My wife says "it has a distinct but mellow, ambient presence". That's her definition of "putting you right there". I trust her ears because she has no interest in the equipment. (Besides, she hears better than me). It is not forward at all, maybe even slightly laid back. This amp has lots of dynamic energy, but comes across very smooth and is not "edgy" in the slightest. I was afraid the Yamaha's slight tendency for liveliness might show through, but it doesn't seem to happen. I have listened to other amplfiers, but only have an Adcom GFA-555II (200 watts per channel)here at home to compare it to. I've always been ok with the Adcom, but it definitely is lacking in clarity and has a fine layer of "grain" in comparison. I wish I could report on my findings for HT, but I don't have a processor(I need that 950!). However, if it's this good for music it's got to be great for HT audio.

I find it is hard to stop listening to CD's once I start,it is just really enjoyable. If anybody is in the market for a 5/7 channel amp, they really need to give this one a listen. I know you can spend more,(and you would!) but you might be pleasantly surprised at how this amp delivers. Of course this is only my humble (and non-expert) opinion and your 2 cents might differ, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Oh yeah, it IS heavy!. Regards, Steve.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 133 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts