Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#48271 - 02/19/02 02:12 PM Specs or info
jacket_fan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Got lots of great info by posting on the 950 board so I will ask here.

How does the 770 compare to B & K amps, such as the 7270? Same output, but is there any objective or subjective information?

Again, I am looking to buy American and these seem to be my best choices.

------------------
mj

mj

#48272 - 02/19/02 03:00 PM Re: Specs or info
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
We don't know a lot about the 770 yet. There was apparently one running at CES last month, and the people who heard it seemed impressed, but it was also in a very less-than-ideal listening environment. Like the B&K 7270, the Outlaw 770 is rated at 200WPC at 8 ohms for seven channels. The Outlaw 770 is a little heavier (~87 pounds compared to the 7270's 70 pounds) and about the same size physically. (You can tell that we don't know much, when I've only listed power rating and physical dimensions and don't really know much else!) The 770 will sell for $1800; I found a price online of around $2750-$2800 for the Ref 7270.

Judging by the history of the Outlaw 750, the 770 should be a great sounding product. I would expect to start seeing reviews for the 770 some time this spring (and user reviews before that) offering some actual insight into the performance of the 770.

------------------
Gonk

#48273 - 02/19/02 10:08 PM Re: Specs or info
jacket_fan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Gonk,

I hope the Outlaws pay you. Or you ARE an Outlaw. You are a wealth of information.

I've been reading the beta reviews of the 950. Sounds like some folks are wishing for a few more bells and whistles, but otherwise it is an awesome piece of hardware. I too would like some capability to control speaker volume. I have some very efficient speakers that are holdovers from my young days as an audiophile. I had built some speakers after I graduated from college. They were designed by a prof and his grad students at Ga Tech. They still sound great after all these years.

If the 770 gets the kind of acclaim the 950 has, I guess I will have to buy one.

What sort of sales volume does a company like Outlaw and B & K do? Seems like a real niche market. At the local brick and mortar store, they have the super high priced equipment (would love to buy some Martin Logans!) but I understand they sell mostly systems consisting of 3802s and Paradigm speakers. I will admit if it wasn't for the silly "buy American whenever you can" credo I have, that system makes a great deal and I would go for it.

I would have never known about Outlaw if not for searches on the internet. Having been in the business of packaging electronic equipment over the years, it seems to me Outlaw is working on a pretty tight profit margin. Difficult to market a product sold over the internet to the general public to get big volume.

$1,800 for a 7 channel, 200 watt amp sounds too good to be true.

I'm rambiling. I am anxious to find out about the 770.

Thanks for the info.

------------------
mj

mj

#48274 - 02/19/02 10:29 PM Re: Specs or info
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Stick around -- you should be able to get lots of info on the 770 in the next month or two, as people start getting and using them.

------------------
Gonk

#48275 - 02/20/02 09:44 AM Re: Specs or info
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
We hope. smile

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#48276 - 03/09/02 06:45 PM Re: Specs or info
Surrounded Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Raymond,NH,USA
Quote:
Originally posted by jacket_fan:
Got lots of great info by posting on the 950 board so I will ask here.

How does the 770 compare to B & K amps, such as the 7270? Same output, but is there any objective or subjective information?

Again, I am looking to buy American and these seem to be my best choices.

I do not know how much research you have done on B&K but I was primed to purchase an AVR202 a few years back,did some internet searches and found audioreview.com and saw lots of praise for B&K's sound but tons of criticism for reliability.

As for the buying American I respect your patriotism but unfortunately most American companys DO NOT!! This is a good and bad thing, Americans could not meet the cost/performance objective . More than likely the American products you do purchase are only assembled in America by minimum wage immigrants from foreign parts.

[This message has been edited by Surrounded (edited March 09, 2002).]

Who's Online
0 registered (), 135 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts