Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#48268 - 02/26/02 05:36 PM two of seven
tetra500 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Dallas, Tx
Since this is my first attempt at separate, I have a few questions that I need a little information on. First, my mines eyes see my new 770 amplifier operating at only 30% of its capacity, 90% of the time (stereo mode, two of seven channels operating). Be that as it may, what should/can I do with the other five channels that are apparently idle? Also, how do the terms bridge and balance apply to a multi-channel amp (neither of which seem to apply to the 770)? Finally, is there some type of rotation recommendation for the channels used most often so that amp “ages” equally? Any response is appreciated.

mt

#48269 - 02/26/02 05:51 PM Re: two of seven
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I don't know about the amp aging question. As for the bridged and balanced, neither apply to the 770.

Bridged -- Bridgeable amps allow two channels to be combined to act as a single channel for twice the power. So a two-channel 100WPC amp that is bridgeable can also be used as a single-channel 200W amp. None of the 770's channels are bridgeable.

Balanced -- Balanced connections are a different approach to component interconnects. Here's a definition: "Balanced audio signals utilize two signal-carrying wires and a shield, as opposed to the standard unbalanced configuration that employs the shield as one of the signal carriers. It is often used in professional situations and high-end equipment because it is much less likely to pick up external electronic noises, such as hum, static, or radio interference." The "electrical midpoint is grounded" in a balanced connection. Higher-end amps often offer balanced inputs as a way to reduce noise in the signal. It also requires that the pre/pro have balanced outputs -- very few pre/pros offer that (the Anthem AVM-2 and AVM-20 include balanced pre-amp outputs, as does the Classe SSP-75 and the Balanced version of the Lexicon MC-12, the MC-12B).

As for what the five other channels are doing when the 770 is handling stereo only, it will help your electrical bill by letting them be idle. It should also allow more reserve for those two channels when they're being pushed really hard.

------------------
Gonk

#48270 - 03/09/02 02:04 PM Re: two of seven
Surrounded Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Raymond,NH,USA
Quote:
Originally posted by tetra500:
Since this is my first attempt at separate, I have a few questions that I need a little information on. First, my mines eyes see my new 770 amplifier operating at only 30% of its capacity, 90% of the time (stereo mode, two of seven channels operating). Be that as it may, what should/can I do with the other five channels that are apparently idle? Also, how do the terms bridge and balance apply to a multi-channel amp (neither of which seem to apply to the 770)? Finally, is there some type of rotation recommendation for the channels used most often so that amp “ages” equally? Any response is appreciated.

mt

Just a suggestion, but if you are using the system 90% for 2 channel music for my money I would buy the 755 and a seperate 2 channel amp for your fronts. Or if you have biampable front speaks you could buy 2 755's and use the spare channel for a passive sub. Boy it sure is easy to spend other peoples money!!!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 112 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts