Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#47996 - 05/30/03 04:32 PM Re: Power Line Conditioners - science or scam ?
sigmachi25 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Jax, Fla.
Here is a quote regarding the "powerplant" .
It seems as if the "reviewer" is claiming that the powerplant actually affects the quality of the sound in his system - not by only removing "bad stuff" (techinical term of art) from the electricity flowing to his equip. - BUT actually improves the soundstage/focus of the individual performers in the music.

If this is the case - then the line conditioner is not just a surge suppressor with a filter,and an insurance policy, but actually an audio component in itself -

"I've had a chance to listen to the P300 for a few days now, and I've had a very hard time tearing myself away. This is a stunning product! By comparison, my old conditioner "homogenized" the sound, so everything had the same filtered quality. With the P300, the individuality of every performance and recording is so much more distinct." PA

#47997 - 05/30/03 05:02 PM Re: Power Line Conditioners - science or scam ?
zakman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: East Bernard, TX USA
I have a Monster HTS3500 (got for less than $200) and it did a wonderful job. I do have my tv on a UPS (APC on sale for $39) and both combined made my (household) noises disappear.

#47998 - 05/30/03 05:58 PM Re: Power Line Conditioners - science or scam ?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Well, like I said, the Isobar doesn't have the "hype" baggage to contend with....

#47999 - 05/31/03 12:32 AM Re: Power Line Conditioners - science or scam ?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Sig- I know. Well you know, could be just like those $1000/m cables, the $219 isolation pods, etc, that also "improve" the sound quality of your system too!

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#48000 - 05/31/03 02:07 AM Re: Power Line Conditioners - science or scam ?
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by soundhound:
Well, like I said, the Isobar doesn't have the "hype" baggage to contend with....

Heh, and let's not even get started on "audiophile power cables"!

Jeff

#48001 - 05/31/03 04:14 AM Re: Power Line Conditioners - science or scam ?
OFCCM Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Hueytown, Al. 35023
As well as a Tripplite Isobar surge protector, I have about a 10 to 12 year old Tripplite LC 1800 Line Conditioner and Stabilizer. Paid $75 for it used. It seems like it got some play with Steroephile at the time, but it was highly sought after way back when. They still make them as well as the Isobar.

#48002 - 05/31/03 02:10 PM Re: Power Line Conditioners - science or scam ?
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
I feel that if you have a significant amount of money/time invested into your Home Theater you will want something to protect it. I purchased a Panamax Max 5300, not just for it's ability to protect my investment, but to provide additional Features such as:

DC Voltage trigger input and pass-through output for initiating a startup/shutdown sequence.

Protection for Satellite, Antenna, RJ-11/45

11 Outlets

http://www.panamax-sales.com/max5300.htm

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#48003 - 05/31/03 05:06 PM Re: Power Line Conditioners - science or scam ?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
MeanGene brings up a good point. A lot of units, in addition to any kind of noise filtering that they do, also provide for switched and unswitched outets (TV and VCR always on, but then you can turn on the entire rest of your system with one button), and some even have delayed powered on outlets, such that the source components & pre/pro are turned on *before* the power amps(s) to prevent turn on thumps through your speakers.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#48004 - 05/31/03 05:32 PM Re: Power Line Conditioners - science or scam ?
Dane Offline
Gunslinger

I've got a Panamx 5100 line conditioner and it seems to do very well at keeping everything working when the power get crazy. During a recent very violent thunderstorm (there was almost no time between the lightning flash and the boom) the lights in the house would flicker and everything connected to the Panamax kept on working as if nothing happened. The voltage display on the front was dancing around but none of my equipment seemed to notice. Only during long brown-outs or black-out would the Panamax disconnect power to my system. Once the power returned it would automatically reconnect the power and keep on going.

I live way out in the boonies and I can run our whole house off a back-up generator. When I first got the 5100 I hooked everything up, turned it all on and started screwing around with the generator. I cranked up the voltage, dropped the voltage, and varied the frequency. There was never a time when the picture on my digital Sony XBR800 or the sound through the system showed any sign that there was a problem. The picture was clear and stable and the audio was totally normal. When the power got too far out of whack the Panamax would disconnect the entire system from the power. Once I brought the voltage back within range, it would return power to my system.

The Panamax is not as sexy as the Monster units, but it is considerably cheaper. The 5100 weighs about 25 lbs so it is a good warm-up before you pick up your Outlaw 770 amp.

#48005 - 05/31/03 10:37 PM Re: Power Line Conditioners - science or scam ?
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
Read here to find out the full benefits of power filtration and regulation. See Below:

THE IMPROVEMENT

"The sonic improvements in an audio system include fuller bass; wider dynamics; higher volume levels at normal settings; huge, open soundstage; and very detailed articulation of the mid and high frequencies.

In a video system a viewer will experience improved color saturation; contrast and brightness levels; elimination of dot crawl; dramatically increased sharpness; greatly reduced video artifacts, graininess, noise and distortion; and a more three-dimensional effect from the video source."

From - http://www.exactpower.com

Gee, I guess I don't have to upgrade to DLP after all.

------------------
MeanGene's Home

[This message has been edited by MeanGene (edited May 31, 2003).]

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts