Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#47967 - 01/02/04 06:41 PM Re: How Do You Make the Most of 2 Channel Listening with the 950?
Paratrooper Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Conyers,GA,USA
Soundhound,

I have to agree with that Tube equipment does sound different to some people. Does it sound better than solid state, maybe so, maybe not. A side story on the difference in sound; For years most program audio, radio and television was transported from market to market on AT&T buried cables. The carrier was designated as K. All transmission equipment was vacuum tube. K-Carrier was a 1930's technology that had exceeded is life cycle in the 1960's, but the major networks would not let AT&T take it out of service because to station managers and program managers, K-Carrier had the sound they wanted, not microwave which was where the video was transported.. The carrier was finally retired in eary 1970s. The line amp tubes had AC filaments. Many line amp failures were fixed by removing the tube and giving it a firm pat into your open hand. Just watch out for that devil he may be in the most unlikely place.

#47968 - 01/02/04 06:56 PM Re: How Do You Make the Most of 2 Channel Listening with the 950?
Paratrooper Offline
Gunslinger

Gunner,

I was referring to the need of a seperate preamp for 2CH audio, not the use of a better D/A converter. My question is in regard to the performance of the 950's analog stereo inputs which would be after any out-board DAC. Do you plan to bypass the 950 entirely with the output of the DAC-1?

#47969 - 01/02/04 09:08 PM Re: How Do You Make the Most of 2 Channel Listening with the 950?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited January 07, 2004).]

#47970 - 01/02/04 10:40 PM Re: How Do You Make the Most of 2 Channel Listening with the 950?
Paratrooper Offline
Gunslinger

Soundhound QUOTE
"It is extremely difficult to achieve this in solid state equipment, and I know of only one designer who has been able to pull this off and actaully make solid state amps sound as good as tubes (better actually since the distortion components are in phase through the entire audio band)."

Is there only one designer because there is no market for such equipment? Maybe too expensive? Maybe just hype that tubes sound better? No one really interested? I do not believe that there is only one designer in the world that can accomplish this feat,if in fact there is something to accomplish. Eight years at Bell Labs taught me that experiments are great, but you must sell to have the resources to experiment. I am now going to crankup my 1964 Fisher 500C and see if I have been missing that tube sound. Beside you cannot toast marshmellows over Tansistors.

#47971 - 01/02/04 10:47 PM Re: How Do You Make the Most of 2 Channel Listening with the 950?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited January 07, 2004).]

#47972 - 01/02/04 11:39 PM Re: How Do You Make the Most of 2 Channel Listening with the 950?
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Middle Earth
soundhound:

Thanks for posting pictures of our homemade preamp in "Your System Saloon” under “Sound distortion” thread.
Assuming it works as well as a high-end preamp (to meet your standard), what will it take to build one of these? Or, would you rather not give away your trade secrets?

#47973 - 01/03/04 12:30 AM Re: How Do You Make the Most of 2 Channel Listening with the 950?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiker:
soundhound:

Assuming it works as well as a high-end preamp (to meet your standard), what will it take to build one of these? Or, would you rather not give away your trade secrets?

Top Secret.....

#47974 - 01/03/04 01:47 PM Re: How Do You Make the Most of 2 Channel Listening with the 950?
Jeff Aguilar Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Olympia, WA USA
For two channel music, I bought a Cayin integrated tube amp. I really like my 950, but I wanted to experience some better 2 channel music experience.

The integrated tube amp was only $500 and I use it instead of my 950 and amps. I am currently running Parasound amps. Which are suppose to be pretty warm sounding.

To hook it up, I connected my analog outputs from my Dennon 1600 and my Sony mega changer directly into the tube amp. It really widened the sweet spot, and increased the depth of the music. Also it smoothened out the mid range and high end. It is hard to explain exactly how it sounds, but it is very different. I am really enjoying it. I had the place I bought the tube amp from put in a sub out connection so that I can use my SVS subs in connection with my Martin Logan speakers. Sounds fantastic.

Jeff

#47975 - 01/03/04 04:33 PM Re: How Do You Make the Most of 2 Channel Listening with the 950?
Gunner Graham Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Arlington VA USA
Paratrooper - sorry, I missed the intent of your question. I hadn't thought about bypassing the 950 altogether, but given the discussion here it's something I'm wondering about. Just how "clean" is the bypass of the 950? If I were to use a dedicated stereo pre-amp (or the pre-amp capability of the DAC-1) how much would passing the signal through the 950 change the signal?

From Jeff's post it looks as though he's using two entirely separate source -> amp chains for HT and 2CH, but if I understand him correctly using the same speakers. My question would be whether it would be possible (or advisable) for me to connect a stereo pre-amp directly to my 7100 (in addition to the 950 being connected to the 7100 for HT)?

#47976 - 01/03/04 05:33 PM Re: How Do You Make the Most of 2 Channel Listening with the 950?
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally posted by soundhound:
Top Secret.....

Then would you ever consider marketing it? Call it “Preamp for those searching like the hounds”. That doesn’t sound bad. I may buy one if the price is right and perhaps comes with 30 day money back return policy.

While I’m at this DIY preamp subject and my attempt to pull some hints out of SH on it turned out to be futile, is anyone familiar with Grounded Grid preamp kit? http://www.transcendentsound.com/preamp%20kit.htm I’ve heard a few good reviews on it.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts