Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#47931 - 02/24/03 05:50 PM S-Video hookup
harleyman43 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Eden,New York
In the past I had my S-Video from my DVD player go directly in my TV. I never even hooked it up to my old Yamaha reciever. Now with the new 950/770 combo I want to hook it up to the 950 , and out to the TV. Please tell me the advantages in doing this.

#47932 - 02/24/03 06:52 PM Re: S-Video hookup
Keta Offline
Desperado

Loc: Central VA
1. On screen display
2. Don't have to switch TV input to watch other sources.

I do the same with mine for S-Video but still connect component output directly.

#47933 - 02/24/03 06:53 PM Re: S-Video hookup
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Advantages:

1) Convenience, assuming you have other video sources (digital cable, satellite, whatever) that you can also connect to the 950 so that the 950 controls video switching, allowing you to leave the TV set to a single input all the time. (I do this, and the only command I send to my TV is power on/off).

2) On-screen display from the 950. You will be able to view the 950's menu on screen in addition to on the 950's front panel.

Disadvantages:

1) Extra device in video signal path, offering opportunity for signal degradation. I have not had a problem with this on my display (27" Mitsubishi direct-view).

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#47934 - 02/27/03 02:02 PM Re: S-Video hookup
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Stone Mtn., Ga./USA
gonk is right. before my 950 i had a 'home-built' cure for switching and it was still cumbersome. now when i hit 'tv', the tv turns on. push 'sat' and a/v goes there and i change sat box with the 950 remote. same for dvd and s-vhs and turntable and cassette. using 12 foot 's' to 950. output to monitor is a 4 foot, i think. is another 12 foot back to vcr and i have recorded one s-vhs tape from sat...degradation is minimal. soon i hope to switch to component but am in no hurry now.

------------------
t higg

#47935 - 10/21/03 09:23 PM Re: S-Video hookup
richey Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: CA
When using the MONITOR OUT S-video connection to the TV, is the sound also sent along to the TV?

Does this mean the 950 always has to be on to watch & listen to television?

Sometimes we like to watch television without the HT experience and just use the speakers within the television.

I am also wondering if I could split the MONITOR OUT cable and route the second output to a television in another room?

This way we only need input signal devices for whole house distribution.

------------------

#47936 - 10/22/03 07:51 AM Re: S-Video hookup
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The s-video cable does not carry audio -- it is video only. The 950 does need to be on if you are routing your audio and video through it (which you would be if you are using the monitor out). If you are wanting to watch TV sometimes without turning everything else on, you might consider connecting the cable or satellite box to the TV via an RF coax cable (which does carry both audio and video). As for the video distribution, there are some video switchers around that might suit your needs, although you'll also need to do something with the audio. If you aren't using it already, you might use the VCR record out loop to feed a separate location -- it will output audio and video from the active source on the 950.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts