Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#47708 - 08/31/03 03:43 PM The good, the bad, the ugly......
aej09 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Madison, WI, US
I'm on my third 950 since 6-18-03. The first one went back within 2 weeks due to a fading LCD display. The second one lasted about three weeks before it died (static on all channels from all sources in all modes). In between I sent a defective remote back for no volume punch-through and no macro capability.

Here's my problem. I think the unit performs well, very well considering the price, when it performs. The raves about customer service on this site and others are underestimated in my opinion. I have been treated extremely well. But I'm starting to get to the point where all the great service in the world is not helping if I'm swapping out a new unit every month.

Has anyone else had this many problems? Have I got an audio 'black thumb'? I don't want to think about staring over after finding such a great value - and I wouldn't even know where to start. There simply isn't anything out there to compete. Rotel 1066 and the clones are above this price point and it goes up from there (e.g. AVM-20, etc..). I need some support here folks. Thanks.

#47709 - 08/31/03 05:03 PM Re: The good, the bad, the ugly......
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Hi ae,

Not clear from your post (to me). Is the third unit performing correctly? If so it sounds as if you received the ugly first, - next the bad, and should be arriving at the good.
I own two 950’s and have not had the kind of karma you have had, I have seen (one, - I believe) other owner who went through three to get it right. I would be heaving a big sigh on the third. But since I’m a consumer who has experienced the “norm” for Outlaw, excellent products with excellent back up service. I say hang in…I have a 20 something year old waiting in the wings for one of my 950’s, periodically attempting to convince me sell it to him at a discount…he grins and states – “its used isn’t it?” (He’s put several hours on it himself) AND help him find a cheap amp AND set it all up for him….(he’s a guy on a big budget) I just laugh and say he’ll have to be very patient….till the upgrade bug strikes me again….( I told him don’t hold start holding his breath yet).

Maybe its time to perform some sort of Flambé cleansing ceremony on a couple of DVD disc’s to drive your AV blues away. Sometimes “Trouble comes in three’s” with a subsequence lengthy stretch of smoother sailing. Although with Outlaw they usually get it right the first time, I’ve had extensive trouble with some of my other AV purchases but not with Outlaw. You must be tired! I will raise my next Outlaw margarita to you, toasting you to a run of better luck!

#47710 - 08/31/03 08:09 PM Re: The good, the bad, the ugly......
aej09 Offline
Gunslinger

You're correct Lena, the current unit is working - so far (crossing my fingers that are knocking on wood). But I just don't know if I can deal with another bad unit. I really hope this one works out. I'm glad to hear you haven't had any problems. It's encouraging that both your units are trouble free. That's exactly the kind of story I need to hear. Thanks for the reply and positive kharma!

#47711 - 08/31/03 08:21 PM Re: The good, the bad, the ugly......
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
I think my 950 was bitten by a radioactive spider. It sounds better every day. Zero glitches. Even the no LFE while in DTS ES worked out to my advantage (in my setup, anyway).

Some helpful hints to aid in the longevity of your new 950:

1. Never try to cool it off by pouring ice water into the air vents.

2. Don't switch modes via the front panel and a baseball bat.

3. Never play a Barry Manilow CD through it.

4. Only hook cool stuff up to it.

5. Make sure the LOGO is always visible from the listening position.

#47712 - 08/31/03 08:55 PM Re: The good, the bad, the ugly......
Alejate Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Albany, NY
Oh no!!! Barry Manilow has been poured through my 950. Oh, I'm doomed! I have had my original 950 for 6 months and so far the only problem I have had is an occasional microprocessor gremlin. The first time it showed up was during a movie when it decided it was going to turn the volume down for me. The next time was when it decided it was going to turn the volume up for me. And recently it decided to go to the main menu without a command. Not sure why it does this, I keep thinking it might be getting a stray signal from a digital displayed CO monitor which faces the unit from across the room. If that's not it, then I will have to e-mail Outlaw next time something like this happens. I hope you have great luck with your third attempt. Just don't play Barry through it!

#47713 - 09/01/03 10:53 AM Re: The good, the bad, the ugly......
aej09 Offline
Gunslinger

Well bossobass, you nailed it! That must have been the problem. Barry was over the other day trying to change modes with a bat so I threw a glass of ice water on him and he passed out, subsequently covering the logo and drooing into the vents. You are a life saver!

#47714 - 09/01/03 12:03 PM Re: The good, the bad, the ugly......
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
Quote:
Originally posted by aej09:
Well bossobass, you nailed it! That must have been the problem. Barry was over the other day trying to change modes with a bat so I threw a glass of ice water on him and he passed out, subsequently covering the logo and drooing into the vents. You are a life saver!

FUNNY!!!

Seriously, I hope this 950 performs it's duties for you as advertised. Let us know.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM