Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#47699 - 08/28/03 01:40 PM No component conversion. Scaler recommendations?
willywaxer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Portland, OR
Can someone recommend a reasonably priced scaler or line doubler that can do what my 950 can't: 1. convert S-video or composite inputs to component out? 2. allow for switching of multiple component inputs and outputs.

#47700 - 08/28/03 04:12 PM Re: No component conversion. Scaler recommendations?
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

This is another case where I'm sure there will be lots of folks with a variety of recommendations. (One person's concept of "reasonably priced" may not be the next!) But since this thread is under the Model 950 heading I'll assume that you mean "reasonably dirt cheap."

I'll also treat the two parts of your question separately.

For line doubling, I'd start by trying to find a used iscan unit on eBay. As far as I know they came / come in 5 different models (in order of release date and improving quality / features): the original, the plus, the plus V.2, the pro, and the ultra. While there is supposed to be a slight difference in quality of picture between the V.2 and the pro, I've looked at both and don't notice it - although some online reveiwers have. I don't think there's a difference between the pro and the ultra as far as picture quality goes - just more inputs etc. on the ultra.

I own a V.2 and it does a great job converting composite and S-Video inputs to component. I have no complaints at all with the picture quality. I've compared it's output to that of my high-quality DVD player's progressive scan component output (ie. DVD's S-Video line doubled / converted by the V.2 to a 480p signal, cf. the DVD players prog scan output) and while there is a difference between the two, I could not characterise one as being better than the other.

For comparison, the pro has a component input, and the ultra has two plus a whack of other connections. Check out the Silicon Image web site. Last time I looked it had fact sheets and owner's manuals for the whole line of products. (Note: recent ads suggest that DVDO has re-aquired the rights to at least the ultra.)

Early versions (original and plus) have gone for less than $200 on eBay (back when I was looking). The V.2 seems to be in the $200-$300 range. The pro $300 - $500. And the ultra more than that ($700+).

While I have no direct experience with it, it looks like the ultra is a good bet for both line doubling and switching - although I do recall seeing that someone had posted a complaint about its switching capabilities somewhere. The pro, and anything less than than, has only a modicum of inputs / outputs, so it would likely only suit as a line doubler, and not a switcher as well.

If you did not go the ultra route (and again keeping $$$ in mind), you might want to do what I did and use the V.2 (great picture, minimal ins and outs) in combination with an outboard signal switcher. I picked up (again on eBay) a used Electrohome Marquee Signal Switcher that has nine (9!) inputs cards (all with pass through) with full component switching capabilities (and then some), as well as power and output cards. This was top-of-the-line stuff when new in the mid-90's, and worth several $k at the time. My unit set me back $100! They show up for sale on eBay only infrequently. (I've tracked down a company that has acquired the rights to the product, and leftover inventory, when Electrohome folded the business, and they want at least a couple of $k for a basic unit, and several hundred $ per replacement card!) I won't soon run out of component inputs. It does all of my video switching just prior to sending the final component signal, through a single very high quality cable, to my HD monitor.

But the landscape is changing. I don't recall the company's name, but I recall seeing a product advertised in the last year that, for $1000 or so, would scale/double/quadruple everything to 1080i (and 1080p if I'm not mistaken.) I wish I could recall the name, but I also remember that it had pricier versions that had more complex signal handling (ie. switching capabilities) than the base unit.

After that the sky seems to be the limit in terms of what you could spend.

I'm far from being an expert in this area, but I hope that my own experience is of some help.

Jeff Mackwood

#47701 - 08/29/03 11:03 AM Re: No component conversion. Scaler recommendations?
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
I second the iScan. I use it for my non-progressive sources (second DVD player, VCR, and formerly, my laserdisc player): excellent line doubler. So good, in fact, that when I upgraded to a progressive scan DVD player, the improvement was only a mild one.

You can get them for a song on eBay, and as far as I know, the only major differences between versions are the input types available.

Jeff

#47702 - 08/29/03 03:43 PM Re: No component conversion. Scaler recommendations?
willywaxer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Portland, OR
Thanks for the detailed info about the iScan products. I'm willing to shell out up to $1K if I can get all my switching/converting needs in a single, remote controlled box. The iScan ultra appears like it might work, but is limited by just two component jacks. This would work for me now, but I would have no headroom for future expansion. I've seen some used professional equipment on Ebay that would work, but they appear to be very complex and without manuals, I would never be able to figure them out. Also, most of the old ones (read "affordable") are likely not to be HDTV compatible. I'll keep my eyes open though.
If it helps, the video equipment I'm presently trying to hook up includes a Motorola cable box, two DVD players (Panasonic Rp91 and a Sony jukebox), a Tivo, a PS2, and a VCR. All going to both a small Sharp LCD monitor and an Infocus LS110 projector (with a 100" Stewart screen). I may add a DSS to the system as well. Hence, there are a variety of input/output requirements and options. However, I'm limited by the built-in projector because only a component cable was run through the ceiling and there is no way (due to beams) to fish another type. Surely there are more than a few of us in such a situation.

#47703 - 08/29/03 05:03 PM Re: No component conversion. Scaler recommendations?
boblinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles
I have a Focus Enhancements CS-1 deinterlacer/scaler that I'm quite happy with. It doesn't have all the inputs/outputs that you're specifying, but I think you might have trouble finding that level of I/O flexibility in a $1000 unit. (I'd love to have someone show me up and point out something that does, however!)

[Without doublechecking, I think it has two each of svideo and composite input, one progressive component in, one interlaced component in, and DVI-in that is not HDCP compliant. The CS-2 adds HDCP compliance.]

In my case, for non-critical viewing sources (i.e. videogames) I use the 950 as a switcher and run an svideo from the 950 to the CS-1. Ergo, I can have three videogame systems sharing one input on the CS-1. In the past I have also effectively used a cheap Sony passive switcher to connect multiple videogame consoles to one input of the system. I wouldn't do that for DVD viewing, but for the consoles it's just fine, IMHO.

You should check out the video processor section of the AVSForum. There is a ton of great information and opinions available there on the subject.

[This message has been edited by boblinds (edited August 29, 2003).]

Who's Online
0 registered (), 178 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts