Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#47688 - 08/24/03 09:27 AM Video connections
Raider Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, TN
Could someone explain why you would use the video connections on the 950? Sounds like a dumb question but I have my DVD and VCR players going straight to the TV, bypassing the 950. What situations do all of you 950 pros use your video connections on the 950 and why. What am I missing? Is there some convenience I cannot figure out? It seems direct would provide the best picture quality
Thanks

#47689 - 08/24/03 10:30 AM Re: Video connections
DaleB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Clovis, CA,US
If you have multiple video sources it may not be convenient to route them all to the TV if the set can not accept more than one set of S-Video inputs, or more than one set of components inputs, etc.
If offers no other 'technical' advantage that I am aware of.
Like you I do my switching at the TV for 'DVD', 'Receiver', 'Sat', etc.

#47690 - 08/24/03 12:34 PM Re: Video connections
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

As well, and depending on the set-up, it helps to reduce the number of very long cable runs. I need an 8m cable from most of my components to my monitor, so I only use one very high quality S-Video and one very high quality component cable run. All of the components are then connected to the 950 / video processors / signal switcher with very short lengths. Probably no difference in picture quality but it does cost less this way.

Jeff Mackwood

#47691 - 08/24/03 04:18 PM Re: Video connections
Raider Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, TN
If you run the video connections through the 950 do you have to have the 950 on even if you just want to watch TV, say using the VCR?

#47692 - 08/24/03 11:41 PM Re: Video connections
DaleB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Clovis, CA,US
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Mackwood:
As well, and depending on the set-up, it helps to reduce the number of very long cable runs. I need an 8m cable from most of my components to my monitor, so I only use one very high quality S-Video and one very high quality component cable run. All of the components are then connected to the 950 / video processors / signal switcher with very short lengths. Probably no difference in picture quality but it does cost less this way.

Jeff Mackwood

Good point, I forget to mention the S-video conversion capability is a big asset for the long cable scenario also, and takes the 950 beyond just being a switch box.

#47693 - 08/25/03 01:23 AM Re: Video connections
OFCCM Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Hueytown, Al. 35023
Main Reasons I do it is for ease of use for my wife. She refuses to learn how to do everything if I make it too complicated. It is hard for me to get her to change the video input on the TV each time and then operate the 950 for each component seperately. I have set up all inputs directly to the TV previously and I cannot tell a great difference in the picture through the Outlaw as compared to video straight to the TV. All video connections are SVHS except the component hook up from the DVD player and that is hooked up directly to the TV instead of using the 950 since she cannot use the DVD player either. I am always present when we watch a DVD in main room. She has a TV with a built in DVD player and VHS player in her room and she can operate that one fine if she is watching by herself.

The other reason to have at least one of our components hooked up through the 950 is for set up and changing of set up as it is easier on the eyes.

[This message has been edited by OFCCM (edited August 25, 2003).]

#47694 - 08/25/03 10:13 AM Re: Video connections
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
If you run the video through the 950, it does have to be turned on to allow you to watch any of those sources. It is also true that the shortest signal path is the best, but some form of video switching is often difficult to avoid as you increase the number of sources involved and the 950's switching is very clean.

I use the video switching for two reasons. One: multiple sources, single input on the TV. My TV has a single s-video input, but I have s-video outputs from digital cable, DVD player, S-VHS VCR, and DVD recorder. If I didn't use the 950's switching, I would have to switch to composite or RF connections for all but one of those sources. Two: ease of use. We can switch from cable to DVD with a single selection on the remote, which I appreciate somewhat but my wife really likes. Some people might also like having the 950's on-screen display, which is available on the composite and s-video monitor outputs.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

Who's Online
0 registered (), 145 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts