Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#47621 - 08/18/03 09:00 PM The chintzy knob...
DaleB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Clovis, CA,US
Has anyone besides me considered replacing the 950 knob with something like machined aluminum.
I rarely use it, relying mostly on the remote, but it seems a nice replacement would be in order for a few bucks.

#47622 - 08/19/03 12:06 AM Re: The chintzy knob...
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
I like the fact that the knob is soft and squishy - if I have to run to turn down the volume, I won't hurt my fingers from impacting a too-hard knob. YMMV

#47623 - 08/19/03 12:47 AM Re: The chintzy knob...
DaleB Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by soundhound:
I like the fact that the knob is soft and squishy - if I have to run to turn down the volume, I won't hurt my fingers from impacting a too-hard knob. YMMV

Jeeezzz, that might be fine in a motor vehicle where one might hit the knob with their forehead in a panic stop!
I would like the heft of a volume control you get even from an older Pioneer or Onkyo receiver.
It certainly does nothing for the sound, but would be a nice touch.

#47624 - 08/19/03 01:09 AM Re: The chintzy knob...
soundhound Offline
Desperado

You could always fashion a knob out of depleted uranium, which should prove to be dense enough.

#47625 - 08/19/03 12:22 PM Re: The chintzy knob...
joeren Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Amsterdam NY
I replaced the black knobs on a graphic equalizer once, with chrome plated plastic knobs, and the improvement in sound was nothing short of spectacular.

#47626 - 08/19/03 12:49 PM Re: The chintzy knob...
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by joeren:
I replaced the black knobs on a graphic equalizer once, with chrome plated plastic knobs, and the improvement in sound was nothing short of spectacular.

Same here! It was like a veil had been lifted from the soundstage. I don't think the herbal substance I was smoking at the time had any influence....

#47627 - 08/19/03 08:05 PM Re: The chintzy knob...
DaleB Offline
Gunslinger

That's what I'm talking about!
Now I have some incentive, there may actually be some damping effect having a more substanstial knob on the shaft for the volume control.
It would serve to reduce any tendency for the control to 'hunt' between detent positions, don't you think?
Not the mention it could serve as an isolation point for any harmonic vibrations generated across the chassis. While they may get transferred to the knob through the shaft, it is unlikely any of significance wouuld be reflected back, considering the mass of the knob.
I had no idea you guys were so understanding of the finer points of home theater improvememt.

#47628 - 08/19/03 08:26 PM Re: The chintzy knob...
soundhound Offline
Desperado

You're welcome - glad to be of assistance!

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited August 19, 2003).]

#47629 - 08/20/03 03:10 AM Re: The chintzy knob...
OFCCM Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Hueytown, Al. 35023
Just curious, as I have not had my 950 that long, but the soft knob on my Newcastle would pull off and there hidden away was a full reset buttton to default. That was useful to me and it was not in the Newcastle Manual, I got it from a Tech with them to solve a problem quickly. I have used the remote exclusively with the 950, it covers everything I need so I have not paid a lot attention to the front controls except for my 1st day when Outlaw forgot to include my remote and I had to wait and extra day to get it.

[This message has been edited by OFCCM (edited August 20, 2003).]

#47630 - 08/20/03 09:45 AM Re: The chintzy knob...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
OFCCM -- There is a reset button tucked under the 950's volume knob, too. It is included in the event that the 950 locks up and cannot be reset by unplugging it. From page 45 of the manual (Yes, I have flipped through the 950's manual a few times... ):

Quote:
To reset the unit you must first remove the volume control knob on the front panel by grasping it and gently pulling the knob straight out towards you. When the knob is removed you will see a very small hole in the black aluminum front panel at the “nine o’clock” position. With the unit on, use a toothpick or unfolded paper clip to gently press the button behind the opening. Hold the button for a second and then release it. This should reset the system.

Replace the volume control knob, being careful to line up the flat surface on the control shaft with the matching flat surface on the inside of the knob. Push the knob straight on to the shaft until it is firmly seated.

If the manual reset does not solve the problem, contact Outlaw Audio for further advice.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts