Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#47615 - 08/17/03 10:57 AM 950, MC-12, Denon 3801 Comparison in process
rac4 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I've been tracking these forums for a looong time and finally decided to give some of these products a whirl. I've got a dedicated theater, custom built with sound proofing, etc. Atlantic Technology 370 THX Ultra system with sub. I mostly listen through SPDIF (new creative card) with my HTPC (powerDVD). For the past couple of years, I've been using a Denon 3801. I recently got a 950/770 combo and did some initial compares in three configurations, 3801, 3801+770, 950+770. I use the room almost exclusively for movies, so that's what I've been comparing.

I am definitely not a professional reviewer or anything, so I can only say what my ears and the few people I've had over have found. Also, I've calibrated everything with an SPL and speaker distances.

With this combination, we found that the greatest improvement in clarity came from the addition of the 770 to the 3801. Throwing in the 950 added a little more clarity (the 3801 sounds a bit "muddy", but much better than standalone). Two drawbacks to adding the 950 are "pops" that occur almost any time I resume playing and the delay for the sound to start when playing is resumed.

Still searching for more, yesterday I got a Lexicon MC-12 (version 2 upgrade) on loan and connected it up. Surprisingly, the Lex also does the "popping" thing that the 950 does, although the pops seem to be not quite as loud. And, the Lex also has a delay to the sound (for example, at the menu on "Shrek", when you click "play", the sound delay caused me to miss the first pig saying "Play the movie". The 3801 neither pops nor delays.

With the price point differential, I was expecting to be bowled over by the Lex, but I wasn't. I ran a test of the Lex versus the 3801/770 at first. Again, clarity was better and the panning from front to back seemed to be a little smoother, but it wasn't a gigantic leap. My wife was also able to pick the Lex as the better piece. When I switched in the 950 versus the Lex, we could still hear a difference with the Lex, but again not dramatic.

So far my tests have included the THX intro and the Pod race on the SWE1 disc, multiple Matrix scenes, the Superbit intro and DTS intro on Johnny Mnemonic, Intro and beginnings of Juraisic Park 3, beginning of Agent Cody Banks, and watching Das Boot.

Can anyone recommend other things I should listen to to really hear the benefit of Logic7? I haven't watched regular TV with it yet, but will try this tonight (Sopranos). I have until tomorrow morning to play with the Lex.

At this point, it almost comes down more to inputs and outputs and what features will work better with my system. I might decide to keep the 770 or maybe go back to the drawing board and test a new integrated receiver. Or maybe I need to upgrade my speakers to hear a more significant difference?

#47616 - 08/17/03 04:10 PM Re: 950, MC-12, Denon 3801 Comparison in process
tgrisham Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, MO, USA
I experienced the same issue, although my Denon was older, a model 3600. What surprised me was that the Denon, as a front end, was quieter and had no "pops", the switching was faster, and it had buttons on the remote and faceplate far each input. I am also interested in what others can say about the other pre-pros out there, specifically, how they are better than the 950, which I returned. Do I wait for the next Outlaw pre-pro, or go with Lexicon/Krell/Bryston/B&K/Parasound/etc./new or used? Thanks.

#47617 - 08/17/03 04:52 PM Re: 950, MC-12, Denon 3801 Comparison in process
flavomax Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: rochester,mi,usa
Quote:
Originally posted by tgrisham:
I experienced the same issue, although my Denon was older, a model 3600. What surprised me was that the Denon, as a front end, was quieter and had no "pops", the switching was faster, and it had buttons on the remote and faceplate far each input. I am also interested in what others can say about the other pre-pros out there, specifically, how they are better than the 950, which I returned. Do I wait for the next Outlaw pre-pro, or go with Lexicon/Krell/Bryston/B&K/Parasound/etc./new or used? Thanks.

#47618 - 08/17/03 04:54 PM Re: 950, MC-12, Denon 3801 Comparison in process
flavomax Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: rochester,mi,usa
why did you get rid of the 950

#47619 - 08/26/03 01:07 AM Re: 950, MC-12, Denon 3801 Comparison in process
Robert A. Fowkes Offline
Gunslinger

rac4,

For the record, I never experienced any of the "popping" you describe with my 950/755 combination. But the lock on signal delay was very noticeable.

Now that I have a Lexicon MC-8 there is no longer a "delay" problem. Specifically, on the SHREK "play" command you mentioned, I can clearly hear the first pig saying "Play the Movie". In fact the lock on signal has occurred well before he (it?) even begins to speak.

I don't know whether the MC-8 has improved on the MC-12 in this respect (lock on delay) but I can assure you that it is not an issue. FYI, I used a Denon 2900 DVD player to run this test and maybe that also has something to do with my results? Lots of variables here.

Speaking of variables, let me add that once I placed SHREK into my player to check on your findings with your Lexicon I found myself watching this addictive movie once more. And I have to admit that even though it's been a while since I've listened to this DVD I found the DD 5.1 presentation enhanced with Logic 7 to be a real ear-opener.

What a great sonic experience. Not a valid A/B test, of course, but something that just jumped right out at me (using the same amps as I had in the system with my 950 in the past.) More grist for the mill.

------------------
RAF

My HT (latest update 07/27/03)
Now includes my Runco CL-710 DLP FP
and Lexicon MC-8

My HT - Updated 05/29/07

Who's Online
0 registered (), 145 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts