Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#47575 - 08/10/03 05:17 PM Lip Sync Problem With DTS ES
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Folks,

I don't think that the following is an issue with the 950, but for peace of mind I thought I'd check with others just in case.

I have just finished watching "Die Another Day." I selected "DTS 5.1 ES" in the disc's menu - and the 950 picked it up. I thought I notice a "lip sync" problem early in the feature and it became really obvious during the "witty repartee" scene (about 34 minutes in) between Jinx and Bond, just after Jinx appears for the first time.

I then selected "DD 5.1 EX" in the disc's menu and the lip sync problem went away immediately.

My firt inclination is that the disc is at fault. Can anyone else out there first of all give their copy a spin and see if the same thing happens in their case?

I've played several discs in the last few weeks and had thought that on one of them (can't remember which - must have been a rental) that there was a slight lip sync problem as well in DTS ES. But I never thought to switch over to DD at the time.

I have just pulled out my copy of "Lord of the Rings" and the lip synch problem does not show up in either DTS ES or DD EX modes - which is why I have to think that the issue is related to the Die Another Day pressing (and perhaps others) and not the 950.

Just thought I'd check to see if others have had the same, or similar problems.

Regards.

Jeff Mackwood

#47576 - 08/10/03 06:26 PM Re: Lip Sync Problem With DTS ES
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
This sounds like a disc problem from the description. Lip Sync problems are very common in the digital environment because it takes less time for the signal to process through the audio side than the video side of the production chain. You will probably run into a lot of this with satellite TV reception. I receive many broadcast related trade publications and this topic turns up in a lot in articles about broadcast quality. It's something the production people have to stay on top of.

#47577 - 08/10/03 07:15 PM Re: Lip Sync Problem With DTS ES
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Soundhound,

Now that you mention it, I now remember when it was last week that I heard the other instance of lip sync problems: it was during an HDTV (satellite) broadcast of Leno - the one on which Blue Man Group appeared.

Thanks.

Jeff Mackwood

#47578 - 08/10/03 10:09 PM Re: Lip Sync Problem With DTS ES
boblinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles
Could be a disc problem and specific to the DTS track in this case. Another great example of this is the "Moulin Rouge" DVD. The DTS track has a MARKED sync problem which makes it virtually unwatchable. The Dolby Digital track on the same disc has no sync problem.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 95 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts