Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#47512 - 07/31/03 08:31 AM Re: To upgrade or not to upgrade.
Ricky Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Teaneck, NJ
DMF,

If you don't spend the ~ 1200 on the 755 amp, I thought you would have about enough to get a Parasound amp and a used Rogue with Unity Gain bypass (ie, the Rogue's volume can be disabled with a flick of a switch). Opps (edit)...I forgot that you would sell the 1203/750 amps to pay for most of the 755 price.

Another option for your is the Citation 7.0 preamp with the MSB 5.1 inputs (retail 4k plus ~ 500 for the upgrade....now, about 650 used if you can find the rare 5.1 inputs; 7.0 units w/o 5.1 are ~ 300 used). If you go to videogon.com and search for Citation, you should see one available. The Citation's 2 channel direct mode holds its own against highend solid state 2 channel only analog preamps. If DVDs are your only 5.1, dd/dts source, you can run the DVD player's 5.1 dd/dts outputs into the Citation 5.1 inputs (many DVD players have these decoders built-in, not sure about your Denon 1600). Also, IMO the redbook dacs in the 950 are comparable to those in your Denon 1600, Sony 222es players....and not as good as newer, more expensive DVD players like the Denon 2900.

[This message has been edited by Ricky (edited July 31, 2003).]

#47513 - 07/31/03 10:50 AM Re: To upgrade or not to upgrade.
patmos Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

DMF131, thanks for the suggestion.
Still a bit confused though. Do I then run the BK analog preouts back to the 950 analog inputs using bypass mode? Preouts from the BK directly to the front L/R amp channel inputs would then eliminate ability of the 950 to access these 2 channels for 5.1, tuner, or anything else.
Is there such a thing as doubling up inputs to the amp inputs from both the BK and 950, or is this asking for trouble?
Also, any thoughts on musicality of the 950, and also of the 755 or 7100? Thanks.

#47514 - 07/31/03 01:43 PM Re: To upgrade or not to upgrade.
DMF131 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: South Pasadena, CA, USA
Ricky,
Thanks for the help. I think I will look around for the Citation 7.0. I hadn't even considered that. What about the higher end Outlaw that's in the works? Any opinions on whether that might be worth waiting for?

#47515 - 07/31/03 02:29 PM Re: To upgrade or not to upgrade.
DMF131 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: South Pasadena, CA, USA
Patmos,
I'll try to explain the connections here, but a diagram is really what I need to explain it.

Here's what I would do:

- Connect the Panasonic DVD player to the 950 digitally.
- Connect the 950's LR Main pre-outs to your B&K Preamp's CD input.
- Connect the B&K pre-outs to the amp.
- Basically the 950 is an outboard DAC this way. However, you will have two places to control the volume - the 950 and the B&K.
- I would temporarily connect the Panasonic's analog outputs to another input on the B&K while keeping the rest of the system connected the same was as described above. Then I would play a CD selecting the input on your B&K where the Panasonic is directly connected. Now switch to the input on the B&K where the 950 is connected. There should be a difference in volume between the two inputs. Merely adjust the volume on the 950 until it's the same volume as the Panasonic direct connection. Mark the 950's volume level (or write it down) and always leave the 950's volume at this level when listening to CDs. You would now use the B&K for volume control.

- Setting things up for surround will be a little tricky too, but it's the same concept. This time, you'll be using the 950 for volume control. So when you calibrate your channel levels, I'd set the mains to 0 on the 950. Then I'd set the center at 0 and use a SPL meter to check the level. Match the level of the rears to this. Now you'll need to match the main channel levels to this SPL. Just adjust it using the B&K volume control. Again, you'll have to mark it, write it down, or remember this volume level on the B&K so that you can always have it at that level for surround listening. Then you can use the 950's volume control for the master volume.

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by DMF131 (edited July 31, 2003).]

#47516 - 08/01/03 10:12 AM Re: To upgrade or not to upgrade.
patmos Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

DMF131,
Thanks for the assistance. It certainly seems logical the way you have described the hookup. No diagram necessary.
All would be good assuming that the part of the circuitry in the 950 that some have claimed compromises 2-channel sound ISN'T
what the signal will be routed through when it goes through the DAC and out the main pre-outs. If so, maybe the BK in the end takes the edge off and returns the sound to what I have been accustomed to?? An easy thing to try if I can make up my mind an buy the Outlaws.
I really want the 950/755, but my practical side tells me to buy the 950/7100, giving me all 7 channels in 1 box, what should be plenty of power, and hopefully very close to as good of sound (less $400) as the 755. Shouldn't have to reinforce the entertainment center either!

#47517 - 08/01/03 12:02 PM Re: To upgrade or not to upgrade.
steves Offline
Desperado

Loc: Oregon
DMF-- Thought I'd reply to your post as I also have a Sony 222ES which I use for CD and SACD play. It is hooked up to my 950 (with the 770 for amplification) through the analog connections, so playback is in bypass mode for both CD and SACD. I had a CAL Audio Sigma II DAC with a tubed output stage in the mix, but now only use the 222ES setup as mentioned above for CD listening now, as it sounds fine to my ears. I like to apply the KISS principle anymore when it comes to equipment- less stuff is better!. But that's just me. Your ears may be, and probably are, attuned to different likes. I happen to think Wayne Garcia was right in his assessment- but the 30 day in-home trial is really the way to go- and I think worth your time! Best wishes....

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 73 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts