Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#47461 - 08/01/03 11:52 AM Re: A word from the editorial Outlaw 950 Beta Tester #1
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Yes, I did prefer the straight stereo listening in Will's setup. In some recordings of popular music the soundfield enhancement processing can image instruments and vocals way out into the room, even behind the listener. In my own room, sometimes you would swear that the surrounds are playing and I have to look at a monitor meter to confirm that I'm indeed listening only to straight non-processed stereo. I have found that post-processing like PL-II or similar spoils the effects of these spatial processes built into the mix and simply folds the random and out of polarity signals into the surrounds. The soundfield is not nearly as rich and enveloping for me when this is done.

#47462 - 08/07/03 02:19 PM Re: A word from the editorial Outlaw 950 Beta Tester #1
tgrisham Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, MO, USA
Hello, everyone. I have monitored these forums for the past several months and always enjoy the "spirited debates"! I hope everyone remains friends. I received my 950 this week and am very, very pleased. If I could have bought an ultra-expensive pre-pro, I would have considered it. Maybe the 950 is a stepping stone, maybe it is the end result. What surprised me the most is what great sound I achieve in 2 channel stereo through this unit! I personally prefer it to any processed multi-channel output from a 2 channel source. The 950 is a fantastic bargain and everyone here agrees to that. The only question is how much more you get for more money. I discovered that environmental adjustments, speaker placement and my frame of mind have more impact than most electronics. The multi-channel processing for 2 channel sources is very nice when others are around to listen though, because I don't want to give up my "sweet spot". Thanks again to everyone on the forum for helping me choose the 950 and learn more about sound reproduction.
TG

#47463 - 08/07/03 06:39 PM Re: A word from the editorial Outlaw 950 Beta Tester #1
mdanderson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Garland,Tx. USA
I also prefer listening to 2 channel stero for many sources and ever since I got me DVD Audio player I have been using my analog outs with the stereo bypass on. It sounds better to me than listening to CDs through the digital coax on my dvd player. I got a great set of interconnects from Cobalt Cable and it really sounds nice with 2 channel or multi channel audio sources.http://www.cobaltcable.com/?source=HTD
Oppo UDP-205/LG 65C6
Outlaw 976 prepro/ Emotiva BasX A-700 amp
Power Sound Audio 15S

#47464 - 08/07/03 09:19 PM Re: A word from the editorial Outlaw 950 Beta Tester #1
willscary Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New London, WI, USA
Nice debate! I have not been here in a looong time and just stopped in to see what is going on. I have nothing to add to the subject other than to say "hi" to all of you (that might care anyway) and to say it is good to see RAF again posting. RAF and Gonk, you are the two people who steered me to the 950, and everyone who has heard my system is awestruck. Thank you both for the honest comments. To the rest of you...take care and smile!

#47465 - 08/07/03 10:59 PM Re: A word from the editorial Outlaw 950 Beta Tester #1
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
Willscary,

Very good to see you again. You read like you're doin' well. And the hits just keep on playin'.

#47466 - 08/10/03 03:46 AM Re: A word from the editorial Outlaw 950 Beta Tester #1
Avi Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Northern New Jersey, USA
I used to be a big fan of Yamaha's front effects channel DSP modes (once echo is properly tamed by shrinking the room size setting), but lately I've found it ruins the surround mix. It always messed up rear dialogue (ex: "Strange Days"), but on recent releases it's affected any type of non-traditional dialogue (ex: narration on "Adaptation") and sound field cohesiveness (ex: "Star Wars Ep. 2").

Since I know the DSP hasn't changed, either my tastes have evolved, or the film mixes themselves have changed. I strongly suspect that film mixes have actually gotten more sophisticated over time, with better mixing equipment and better human understanding of multi-channel.

I should be testing a THX Ultra 2 receiver soon; it will be interesting to see how that post-processing affects things and whether that is preferred over straight DD-EX.

-avi

P.S. Yes, Jeff, we need to get together; I've been traveling.

#47467 - 08/14/03 12:31 AM Re: A word from the editorial Outlaw 950 Beta Tester #1
minuteman Offline
Gunslinger

SH,
In case you haven't noticed, Mr. Durani will argue his cause ad nauseum. He must have some bot on his computer that notifies him when "Lexicon" or "L7" are mentioned anywhere on the net. I agree with your take wholeheartedly, but no point in arguing with Durani as he will have the last word. I wonder if he is a Lexicon plant? He and his buddy Shawn Fogg.

#47468 - 08/14/03 01:59 AM Re: A word from the editorial Outlaw 950 Beta Tester #1
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
Minuteman,

Sanjay, Shawn, Philip, and I are all regulars at the SMR Forums. We are indeed all fans of Lexicon's products, and we'll be the first to admit it. However, we ourselves are the first to beat up Lexicon when they provide less than excellent quality or service. Fortunately, this happens extremely rarely, but as anyone from Lexicon can attest, we're hardly sycophants or "plants".

Now, in case you haven't noticed, Sanjay's last post on this thread was July 29 -- sixteen days ago. So it seems to me that the one who's trying to argue this point "ad nauseam" is not Sanjay, but yourself.

Actually, I take that back because you didn't in fact argue a point. No, you seem to have just joined this thread solely to insult Shawn and Sanjay.

That being the case, I recommend that you go off for a few days. When you have an original thought -- and I'm sure you will, sooner or later -- come back and contribute. In the meantime, perhaps you should just keep quiet about those posters here who do try to contribute.

Jeff

[This message has been edited by D'Arbignal (edited August 14, 2003).]

#47469 - 08/14/03 08:05 AM Re: A word from the editorial Outlaw 950 Beta Tester #1
chulona Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: San Antonio, Texas
Ouch! You are brutal! That opening personal attack was un called for, IMHO. I guess he hit a nerve ;-)
C

#47470 - 08/14/03 08:45 AM Re: A word from the editorial Outlaw 950 Beta Tester #1
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
Quote:

Ouch! You are brutal! That opening personal attack was un called for, IMHO.

Yes, you are right. I've removed it. Thanks for keeping me honest.

Quote:

I guess he hit a nerve ;-)
C

Well, it's not so much that he hit a nerve as that he comes in out of the blue and starts bashing Sanjay for no apparent reason. And does he use facts or arguments? No, he just resorts to insults.

But you're right: just because he's behaving badly doesn't mean that I should.

Jeff

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 106 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM