Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#47451 - 07/30/03 05:12 PM Re: A word from the editorial Outlaw 950 Beta Tester #1
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Jeff:

I'm not saying there's anything at all wrong with Logic 7 - I'm sure it was doing exactly what it was supposed to do when I heard it. I simply heard the processing as such, and didn't like it, that's all.

#47452 - 07/30/03 06:30 PM Re: A word from the editorial Outlaw 950 Beta Tester #1
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
Quote:
Originally posted by Philip Brandes:

Engineers don't create each soundwave by hand, they use equipment--most of it by Lexicon, in fact--

Cheers,
Philip Brandes

Actually, in fact, most of it is not done by Lexicon. Lexicon is famous for it's world class reverbs. Companies like Drawmer, Avalon Design, Focusrite, Summit Audio, Manley, etc., are known for dynamics processors, and EQ, along with Pro Tools, Motu, Steinberg, Apogee, Tascam, Kurzweil, etc., on the digital hardware/software side.

Really, the point is not whether there is any processing done in the production/mastering of a multichannel audio
source. It's more the question of whether or not it should be applied during playback.

I agree with SH. There should be this much fervor on the subject of room acoustics, placement, phase adjustment, etc. to get what was intended to the ear as correctly as possible in any given setup.

OTOH, if processing your soundfield at playback is your thing, that's fine. Lexicon is a very good Company that produces very good products.

I'm sure Lex fans know this, but for those who don't, the Lex 960 multichannel digital effects system is in the neighborhood of $15,000.00. I don't see how anyone thinks he or she can improve upon the effects of this sort of proccessing (in the right hands)after market with the pale versions that are available to the consumer.

I don't use DSP modes because they sound lame to me. SACD, DVD-A and movie soundtracks are getting better and better. Blue ray is on the way. SH has his preference...I agree with him but even if I didn't, I would certainly respect his choice.

#47453 - 07/30/03 07:01 PM Re: A word from the editorial Outlaw 950 Beta Tester #1
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by soundhound:
Jeff:

I'm not saying there's anything at all wrong with Logic 7 - I'm sure it was doing exactly what it was supposed to do when I heard it. I simply heard the processing as such, and didn't like it, that's all.

Understood, though you lumped it in with Bose on one of the other threads, and that's obviously a gauntlet thrown down to Lexicon lovers. I'm not sure what your motivation was there.

Anyway -- and this isn't an attack -- I'm curious about one thing: you claim that you don't like the altering of the sound from the original master, yet you're a big tube advocate. To me, that seems contradictory.

Jeff

#47454 - 07/30/03 07:55 PM Re: A word from the editorial Outlaw 950 Beta Tester #1
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Jeff:

I really don't want to get into a tube/transistor debate! Suffice to say that I have a system that is considered as a whole - the parts complement each other. I have arrived at my particular configuration after day-to-day direct contact with the orchestral music I work with, and what I have, including the tubed equipment, translates that sound to me from the musicians on the scoring stage to my room with the best representation of timbre, soundstaging and dynamics. Isn't that the whole idea?

Any generalizations such as "all tube gear distorts the sound" or "all solid state gear sounds hard and brittle" is nonsense, because it simply is not true in either case. There are good and bad examples of both technologies. I use whatever gets me closest to my goals, tube or transistor, analog or digital.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited July 30, 2003).]

#47455 - 07/30/03 11:32 PM Re: A word from the editorial Outlaw 950 Beta Tester #1
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Ah, but if tubes didn't affect sound, then there wouldn't be much of a point in advocating them. Hence, they must affect sound, and surely, you're not suggesting that tubes are more accurate than solid state, are you?

Sorry for beating a dead horse. And if this thread is making you uncomfortable, I'm perfectly willing shut up and go away! (Do you realize how many people wish they could get me to do that? Count yourself fortunate!)

Jeff

#47456 - 07/30/03 11:42 PM Re: A word from the editorial Outlaw 950 Beta Tester #1
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by D'Arbignal:
Ah, but if tubes didn't affect sound, then there wouldn't be much of a point in advocating them. Hence, they must affect sound, and surely, you're not suggesting that tubes are more accurate than solid state, are you?

Sorry for beating a dead horse. And if this thread is making you uncomfortable, I'm perfectly willing shut up and go away! (Do you realize how many people wish they could get me to do that? Count yourself fortunate!)

Jeff

Jeff:

I really don't comprehend what you are trying to get at here - yes, please drop the subject.

#47457 - 07/31/03 01:45 AM Re: A word from the editorial Outlaw 950 Beta Tester #1
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

*thunk*

Subject dropped.

So, wanna talk politics next, or religion?

Jeff

#47458 - 07/31/03 02:18 AM Re: A word from the editorial Outlaw 950 Beta Tester #1
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
David Griesinger for gov'na of California?

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#47459 - 07/31/03 09:00 AM Re: A word from the editorial Outlaw 950 Beta Tester #1
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

I like it!

#47460 - 07/31/03 08:10 PM Re: A word from the editorial Outlaw 950 Beta Tester #1
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
Hello Everybody!

I've had many people listen on my 950 system in the last few months. Most of them prefer stereo playback over the other processing modes like DPL II or DTS NEO, at least on my system. Soundhound himself visited last year, and listened to many many soundtracks over the course of a very pleasant afternoon. We listened at that time to pop and country and classic and as well as some of his own recordings. He preferred regular stereo to either DPL II or DTS NEO. In some cases (as with the classic symphony) playing back in stereo sounded more like one would hear in an actual concert. In other cases (as with a modern techno album) the recording engineers he said added psycho-accoustic material deliberately to the two tracks for effects, and those effects sounded more compelling in stereo playback than in DTS or DPL II playback, which wasn't able to decode the effects as well as stereo playback could decode those effects in a real listening room (or rather, in MY real listen room), particularly when played loudly enough to let the sound disperse around the listening room.

Soundhound and others, may feel free to add their own version of the experience.

Best,

Will

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 79 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM