Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#47158 - 07/11/03 12:51 PM Amplifying line level input
roberth Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Dublin, CA USA
Let me start off my saying that I love my 950.

One of my input devices is a Motorola DCT-5100 HDTV Cable box. For HD viewing I use the optical out, which is fine. For TiVO input and DMX listening, I use the RCA outs (set to Video 2 / DPL-C and Aux2 / Stereo).

Even with the volume control on the cable box set to max, the listening level is about 20db below any other device I use. In other words, if my normal listening level is -45db (I'm using a stack of carver 250W per channel amps) for any other device, I need to listen to the cable box (via RCA input) at -25db. This is a big inconvience because my wife and kids can't see to get it through their heads to reduce the volume before they change sources!

I'm looking for a product that will boost a line-level input between the cable box and the 950. I've looked at a few mixers, but they only drop the level, not boost it. I'm also handy with a soldering iron and PC board, so I can build a simple OP-AMP circuit if I can find a schematic for one. I'm not worried about the amplified line level signal clipping, because it's sooooo low to begin with.

My other option is to find a reasonable prices way to convert the optical out to a two channel analog signal without sticking another dolby-digital processor in the stack. This seems like a bad solution, but if someone knows of a quick-and-dirty device, I'll consider it.

Any ideas?

#47159 - 07/11/03 02:12 PM Re: Amplifying line level input
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
I have NO idea what your talking about. Just kind of hunted “line level amplification”, these are prob products used for entirely different applications, but:

http://www.tecnec.com/products/pages/las2.html

http://www.markertek.com/MTStore/product.CFM?BaseItem=STA%2D1M
audio line amplifier?

http://www.markertek.com/MTStore/product.CFM?BaseItem=STA1
Transformer & Line Amp

http://www.markertek.com/MTStore/product.CFM?BaseItem=STA2
High Output Audio Line Amplifier

#47160 - 07/11/03 07:38 PM Re: Amplifying line level input
Steve_C Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Does the cable box audio out have any option to set a fixed -vs- variable output level.
Frequently on TV's the fixed level is quite a bit higher than the highest varable output level. This might have the result you want if the option is available to try.

One other idea, Run the cable box audio out into your VCR and then run the VCR audio out into your 950. The VCR may output a more uniform final volume level than the cable box.

[This message has been edited by Steve_C (edited July 11, 2003).]

#47161 - 07/12/03 03:51 AM Re: Amplifying line level input
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
For some strange reason, I also have this problem, but only with the Sci Fi channel (digital channel) from my cable box. I just turn it up. Just have to remember to turn it back down before I switch back to anything else.

Now that I think about it, *any* 2 ch preamp will work. Just put in between the cable box and the 950, and use the preamp's volume control to increase the volume.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#47162 - 07/12/03 11:52 PM Re: Amplifying line level input
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin C Brown:
[B]For some strange reason, I also have this problem, but only with the Sci Fi channel (digital channel) from my cable box.B]

A question for Kevin ... does your cable company provide the SciFi channel in stereo or mono? My digital cable company supplies all the major channels in stereo, but SciFi only in mono.

#47163 - 07/13/03 01:27 AM Re: Amplifying line level input
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Bingo: most of the time it is mono. So much for DPL II!

I also get the East Coast feed of the Sci Fi channel, which means I have to remember 3 hours earlier if I want to watch something... My VCR gets a lot of use!

[This message has been edited by Kevin C Brown (edited July 13, 2003).]

#47164 - 07/16/03 01:55 PM Re: Amplifying line level input
diagram Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Oakland, CA USA
Hi Kevin -- You should try a TiVo... set it and forget it, no more need to remember "3 hours earlier" !! Your SciFi shows will be waiting for you to watch them when you want, and you can stack up several before you watch. No tapes to rewind. Only $199 these days direct from TiVo for the base model.

(sorry. couldn't resist the plug)

Diagram

#47165 - 07/16/03 11:20 PM Re: Amplifying line level input
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

You're exactly right! Here's what I'm waiting for: an all-in-one box for digital cable, HDTV, and TiVo. I might have to wait a couple of years, but the market certainly would be there...

#47166 - 07/23/03 09:39 PM Re: Amplifying line level input
Dr.Spike Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Madison, WI, USA
roberth:

You could try a line level shifter. Ebtech makes them. You can get one at any pro audio or musical instrument dealer (ok, not a place that sells just brass and strings). They shift the line level from -10dBV to +4dBV or vice-versa. They are primarily used to mate pro with consumer gear. They include a hum eliminator and will also accept and convert balanced and unbalanced inputs/outputs. You can get them in 2 or 8 channel versions. The work great, not sure if it will fully help your problem, not really what they were designed for, but it will boost or cut the line level signal. Generally consumer gear uses –10dBV for both input and output while the pro gear uses +4dbV. Many mixing boards allow you to switch the inputs to match the output of the gear that you are using.

I think this is what you are asking for.

Shifting levels may or may not cause any damage to your system.

Here are a few links:
Ebtech Audio
Interstate Music
Musician's Friend (2ch)
Musicisn's Friend (8ch)

[This message has been edited by Dr.Spike (edited July 23, 2003).]

#47167 - 07/23/03 09:55 PM Re: Amplifying line level input
Dr.Spike Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Madison, WI, USA
roberth:

You could try a line level shifter. Ebtech makes them. You can get one at any pro audio or musical instrument dealer (ok, not a place that sells just brass and strings). They shift the line level from -10dBV to +4dBV or vice-versa. They are primarily used to mate pro with consumer gear. They include a hum eliminator and will also accept and convert balanced and unbalanced inputs/outputs. You can get them in 2 or 8 channel versions. The work great, not sure if it will fully help your problem, not really what they were designed for, but it will boost or cut the line level signal. Generally consumer gear uses –10dBV for both input and output while the pro gear uses +4dbV. Many mixing boards allow you to switch the inputs to match the output of the gear that you are using.

I think this is what you are asking for.

Shifting levels may or may not cause any damage to your system.

Here are a few links:
Ebtech Audio
Interstate Music
Musician's Friend (2ch)
Musicisn's Friend (8ch)

[This message has been edited by Dr.Spike (edited July 23, 2003).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 106 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM