Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#47103 - 06/26/03 10:47 PM Advanced 'Punch through' and Crossover Comments/Questions
Slee_Stack Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: GA
I'm a new 950 owner and still getting used to living with it. Overall, I'm satisfied and I have just a few concerns/questions:

1) Is there a way to set 'punch through' on the remote for add'l functions then just Volume & Mute? I would like to access buttons such as DD, DTS, etc w/o having to hit the AUD button. These buttons don't do anything in other source modes (unless you use learning on them). I know a roundabout way would be to use another learning remote, teach the codes and then 'learn' them back in each source mode but what a pain that would be! Any tricks would be appreciated.

2) DELETED. Found the answer.

3) I use my DVD player (a universal) for all formats (mp3 to SACD). I like listening to CDs in DPLII-M. If I put a DVD in, it will switch to DPLII-C when the DVD menu loads. When I put a CD back in, it stays in DPLII-C. Why does it do this? If it just stayed in DPLII-M mode (with DVD menus) that would be fine with me. I don't want to 'force' the unit into DPLII-M mode and then have to switch to DD/DTS tracks manually when watching a movie. Any suggestions?

[This message has been edited by Slee_Stack (edited June 26, 2003).]

#47104 - 06/27/03 09:45 AM Re: Advanced 'Punch through' and Crossover Comments/Questions
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
One thing I always recommend to new 950 owners who are trying to get the most out of the remote is to download a copy of the SL-9000 manual -- it goes into more detail than the 950's manual does, and if you substitute the LED flashing for the LCD messages described in the SL-9000's manual you'll find that there's a lot in there (punch through for channel or transport control buttons, a somewhat expanded explanation of macro programming -- called memory button programming -- with a more accurate example).

Like you, I also poked around a few months ago trying to punch through the surround mode buttons, but I was not successful. In the end, I learned them to another learning remote I had handy (Sony RM-AV2100) and then learned them to the buttons for the sources that might need them. Never ended up actually using them, but they were there just in case. I suppose you could try to create macros to send the DD, DTS, CES, and stereo commands from the four macro buttons at the bottom of the remote, assuming you didn't have any other macros, but I don't know how well that would work and it would use up pretty much all of your macro capability.

I haven't run into the problem that you are having with PLII on CD's and DVD's, but I've also used a different approach that I'll touch on in a minute. Have you switched to DLPII-M while in a DVD menu to see if that will help? Doing so would not impact how 5.1 soundtracks play back, although it would presumably leave you in DPLII-M for DD 2.0 DVD's. As another thought -- changing gears fairly significantly here -- I have set my 950 up with the AUX1 input using the same digital input as the DVD input. I do this so that I can leave the DVD input in surround mode all the time and leave the AUX1 input set to stereo. When I listen to CD's with the DVD player, I switch to AUX1 and the 950 is in stereo mode. No need to mess with surround mode settings for the CD, or to switch back to surround mode the next time I have a DD2.0 DVD on. With the 950's remote, I created a macro that switched to AUX1 (so I wouldn't have to hit AUD, then AUX1, the cover the IR emitter when I hit DVD). I had a similar macro to switch to the 6 channel input for DVD-A -- which might be handy for your SACD's, as well. When I switched to an MX-500 remote last week (very cool remote, by the way), I taught the AUX1 and 6 channel commands to buttons for the DVD controls and eliminated the need for the macros, but I had a great deal of success with the macro input-switching on the 950's remote.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#47105 - 06/27/03 07:46 PM Re: Advanced 'Punch through' and Crossover Comments/Questions
Keta Offline
Desperado

Loc: Central VA
Just get the MX-500.

#47106 - 06/28/03 12:05 PM Re: Advanced 'Punch through' and Crossover Comments/Questions
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Keta:
Just get the MX-500.

Ditto

------------------
MeanGene's Home

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#47107 - 08/26/03 12:35 AM Re: Advanced 'Punch through' and Crossover Comments/Questions
dcktr Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Sparks, NV
I just got the mx-500
what was the three digit code for the 950?, have everything else in my system all programmed in. The mx-500 only $99 on costco.com
thanks
Ron

Quote:
Originally posted by Keta:
Just get the MX-500.

#47108 - 08/26/03 09:34 AM Re: Advanced 'Punch through' and Crossover Comments/Questions
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I don't think there is a code for the 950 -- we've all been learning the commands where we want them. The MX-700 has a code "342" for the FAP-T1 (the Fosgate pre/pro that is built on the 950 "clone" chassis and uses the same remote commands), but I didn't try it on the MX-500 and the two are different enough that they probably don't use exactly the same code library. It's probably easier to set it up the way you want it and learn the commands. I used the MX500 planner at Remote Central's File Library (under MX-500, Software & Documentation, and Original Documentation -- the link is too long to paste directly here) to plan out how I wanted to set it up, and I also have a copy of my planner file in my MX-500 review .

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#47109 - 08/27/03 04:15 PM Re: Advanced 'Punch through' and Crossover Comments/Questions
jgubman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Mateo, CA
The MX-700 has the code for the outlaw itself (#342), just go to IR Database -> Audio -> Outlaw -> Model 950

I've owned the mx-700 since it came out, and I think it's the best remote on the market. You can get them pretty cheap (~ $200) on eBay

Who's Online
0 registered (), 145 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts