Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#47001 - 06/20/03 12:47 AM Re: Newbie: Question on Dialog Performance?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
One way to tell if the sub is interferring with dialog would be to turn it off and see if you can hear the center better.

Generally I have found that the surrounds and subwoofer channels are too loud in almost all consumer's systems I have heard, relative to what I generally hear on a mixing stage. This does not mean that you shouldn't adjust your surrounds to your liking however! The subwoofer especially is actually relatively mild sounding when a film is mixed. That doesn't stop me from cranking my subs (4 18" ones!) when I want to have fun at home!

#47002 - 06/21/03 10:14 AM Re: Newbie: Question on Dialog Performance?
Alejate Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Albany, NY
It's funny, after all this extensive re-calibrating, I'm not impressed with the results. I have only lived with it for three days but plan on returning to the 950's test tone for calibration. Why? The scene in TWISTER where the boat flies at you and then over your head now sound like the boat flies at your and disappears over your head. The rain in JURASSIC park no longer sounds like it is falling on top of the Jeep, (with the previous settings you could almost smell the wet canvas). And in LOR I no longer feel like I am surrounded in the woods. The meter may tell me all channels are set equally using the test dvd, but the actual result is poor. But, this is the fun of having so much flexibility, you can tweak to your heart's desire.

#47003 - 06/21/03 01:25 PM Re: Newbie: Question on Dialog Performance?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Yes, while you are probably more "technically" well calibrated, you are missing some of the surround level you previously had. Personally, I would simply bump up all the surrounds by 3db in the trim menu. In the end, it's what you like hearing!

#47004 - 06/21/03 05:41 PM Re: Newbie: Question on Dialog Performance?
Garrett Adams Offline
Gunslinger

Between the Avia DVD test tones and the 950's internal test tone I had about a 2dB difference on my center channel, with the Avia reading lower. I went with the Avia tone and bumped up my cc. The mains are Paradigm Mini-Monitor v2's while the cc is a CC-370.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Who's Online
0 registered (), 129 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM