Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#46956 - 06/14/03 09:06 AM .1 LFE and crossover selection
AJZepp Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Flowery Branch, GA
It was brought to my attention via a post at HTF that some receivers/processors run the LFE channel through the low pass filter of the crossover. Thus, if I were to set my mains at 40hz (which is how I have them currently), then I may be wasting the bass above 40hz in the LFE channel. Is this something the 950 does?? I guess I had figured that the LFE channel was a discrete signal that was passed to the sub, and then the frequencies below the crossover point from each speaker was passed along to the sub. I have Paradigm Studio/100's as mains, and if I set them to a higher crossover point (e.g. 80hz), I feel like there would be no benefit to having purchased the 100's over the 60's or 40's. Can anyone help??
7075 Amp
950 PrePro (2003-2010)
975 PrePro (2012-Present)
Outlaw ICs (2003-Present)
M8 Subwoofer (2011-Present)
???

#46957 - 06/14/03 09:29 AM Re: .1 LFE and crossover selection
DollarBill Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Durham, CT
I know that, for the six channel analog input, the subwoofer channel has a fixed 120 Hz LPF. I'm not sure if it's global but I think it is.

#46958 - 06/14/03 05:32 PM Re: .1 LFE and crossover selection
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
My understanding is that the 120 Hz low pass is also applied to the LFE channel from DD/DTS/etc sources as well. Entirely different from the low pass to the sub for the center, mains, and rears/surrounds.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#46959 - 06/19/03 02:00 PM Re: .1 LFE and crossover selection
The Hun Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Riverside
Quote:
My understanding is that the 120 Hz low pass is also applied to the LFE channel from DD/DTS/etc sources as well. Entirely different from the low pass to the sub for the center, mains, and rears/surrounds.
Correct, this takes place in the decoding stages along with the 10db LFE boost.Some soundtrack however already "filtered" before encoding,and DTS at half bitrate start to roll off at 90hz.

#46960 - 06/19/03 07:58 PM Re: .1 LFE and crossover selection
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
Quote:
Originally posted by The Hun:
Quote:
Correct, this takes place in the decoding stages along with the 10db LFE boost.Some soundtrack however already "filtered" before encoding,and DTS at half bitrate start to roll off at 90hz.

Sorry, but...incorrect.

The 120 Hz. LFE LP filter is only used when in 'Dolby Configuration 0'. This is all sats set to 'large' and sub to 'yes'.

All other configurations (which include any speaker(s) set to 'small') cause the direct LFE path to be disabled. The bass signals are then sent to a summing module and then to the LP filter of the selected X-over.

So, to answer the original question, yes, if you set the X-over to 40 Hz., you will lose 1.5 octaves of the LFE...assuming you feed 1 sub through the SW output of your 950.

As far as having no benefit in purchasing the 100's, this is not-to-worry. If a X-over point of 80 Hz. is selected, then the mains should have flat response to 1/2 to 1 octave below that point (60-40 Hz.). On the other side, if the sub is LP filtered at 80 Hz., it should have response capability to 120 Hz., thus fairly preserving the LFE signal at the same time.

#46961 - 06/20/03 12:44 AM Re: .1 LFE and crossover selection
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

BoB- Unless you know something I don't, I don't believe that that is correct.

The 950 uses individual low passes on the signals from the center, L & R, and rears/surrounds, that sum with the LFE 0.1 channel which is low passed at 120 Hz. The reason why I suspect that this is so, is that the Sony TA-E9000ES had an individual setting for the LFE low pass freq, plus the fact that Scott confirmed the individual low passes for the main speaker channels. ??

#46962 - 06/21/03 08:39 AM Re: .1 LFE and crossover selection
bossobass Offline
Desperado

KCB:

Simple enough to verify:

Play a digital multi-channel disc.

Set all 3 X-overs to 120 Hz.

Shut the 5 sat's amps off and just listen to the sub.

Switch the FL/FR X-over to 40 HZ.

If you still hear 120 Hz., you and Scott are correct.

I've studied Cirrus' block diagrams and read their papers. Unless they built something different from what I've read, the LP is determined by the mains filter when sats are set to 'small'.

Tell me what you think?

" [Ex.: Dolby Configuration 1 (all sats set to 'small', SW to 'yes')], Bass Manager 505 is enabled with the following paths enabled or disabled. The direct LFE path to the output through summing module switch 805 is disabled and the path through summing module 802 and Low Pass Filter 803 enabled. The direct LFE inputs to the Processing Modules are turned off."

IOW, the LFE 120 Hz. filter is used when all sats are set to 'large' wherein the LFE has a direct path to the SW output, through the filter. As soon as you set sats to 'small', this path is disabled and the LFE is routed to a summing module, summed with redirected bass, and then sent to the selected LP filter.

The listening test is the easiest way to tell if you're getting 120 Hz LFE to your sub. The difference between 40 Hz and 120 Hz is something anyone can hear rather easily.

I truly am baffled by the resistance I get, everywhere I say it, but I'll say it again. How hard would it be to have a seperate LFE output with NO filter that feeds a seperate LFE sub? Every sub has it's own filter. Include a switch to sum it for those who just don't care or only have 1 sub. LFE discrete: 'yes' or 'no'. (DUH)

#46963 - 06/21/03 05:55 PM Re: .1 LFE and crossover selection
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

BoB- Looks like you are correct. I keep making the mistake of *assuming* a piece of gear operates in the way that *I* would design it...

I'm assuming here (!) that the LP 803 is the main L & R's?

#46964 - 06/23/03 12:53 PM Re: .1 LFE and crossover selection
DollarBill Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Durham, CT
Bosso,

Is this the case for the 950's 6 channel analog input? I'm pretty sure that the subchannel has the fixed 120 LPF and it gets the redirected bass from the other five channels. It appears to be independent of the triupple crossover settings. I'll try your test tonight and report back.

#46965 - 06/23/03 05:50 PM Re: .1 LFE and crossover selection
bossobass Offline
Desperado

DB:

There is no information, to date, that can lead to the answer to that question, which is, 'What happens to the global 120 Hz. LFE filter when the analog BM is engaged?'.

The test described above is for digital only because, of course, there is only 'on' or 'off' of an 80 Hz. X-over in the analog BM.
The analog BM scheme is:
1. A global 120 Hz. LP filter on the LFE signal.
2. An 80 Hz. LP(redirected)/HP X-over on the 5 sats, or...
3. An 80 Hz. LP filter(redirected),and full range signal on the 5 sats.

My guess is that the global LFE filter is left intact in both '2' and '3' above. I can't test for it because I don't derive the LFE from the 950 when in '5.1 bypass' mode.
Anyone got an RTA and some time?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 84 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM