Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 11 of 14 < 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 >
Topic Options
#46878 - 06/18/03 03:21 PM Re: Outlaw 950 now $799?
Paratrooper Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Conyers,GA,USA
Mike, I am strongly considering a 950. You state for $799 its a good deal not a great deal. What pre/pro do you consider to be the Great deal for $799?

#46879 - 06/18/03 03:59 PM Re: Outlaw 950 now $799?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Mike- Wow.

In the past 5 years, I have had A sony TA-E9000ES, the 950, and now a Lexicon MC-8 in my system. The 950 more than held it's own against both of those higher priced (and in the Lexicon's case, much higher priced) pre/pros.

Backside conectors: I disagree. DVD-A/SACD noise level: I disagree. The hiss problem: I actually consider this a win for Outlaw, because not only did they go back *once* and address it, but they went back again, even though at that point in time, only 1 - 2% of customers were complaining about it, and they finally fixed it once and for all. Comparison data point: Rotel is *still* shipping the 1066 with the double bass problem that you cannot not get around except if you open the unit up, voiding the warranty, and cut two resistors. LFE: again a win, because everybody got it fixed for free. *EVEN THOUGH THE 950 WASN'T SUPPOSED TO BE SOFTWARE UPGRADEABLE.*

Cheap finish: I disagree. I thought it was very well built. I personally didn't like the green Fisher Price Power button or the rubbery volume knob, but neither of those items had anything to do with how it performed.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#46880 - 06/18/03 04:36 PM Re: Outlaw 950 now $799?
Paul J. Stiles Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mountain View, CA, USofA
For it's intended market (young children), Fisher-Price is considered to be very high quality.

In it's intended market (value conscious cognoscente of audio-video playback equipment), Outlaw Audio is considered to be very high quality.

I find no objection in this comparison.

Paul

------------------
the 1derful1

#46881 - 06/18/03 06:05 PM Re: Outlaw 950 now $799?
Mikehdtv Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Sanjay you are right! At the low end Outlaw is tops and it has no competitors at that price point. That's the beauty of Outlaw... they found a niche. Kudos to them! I would recommend the 950 if you are in that budget area. Seems like the political atmosphere here is don't criticize. Everything I said I stand by.

;-P

#46882 - 06/18/03 06:51 PM Re: Outlaw 950 now $799?
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
I would recommend the 950 if you are in that budget area.
I recommend a demo to any potential purchaser at any budget level. Particularly to any who like to upgrade frequently (for the savings) and to any who like to purchase for the long term (performance, sound par to satisfy indefinitely, if you upgrade in rare spurts)

Seems like the political atmosphere here is don't criticize.
Speaking purely statistically, I would expect an Outlaw Forum to be more highly populated with satisfied Outlaw purchasers (than not ) Last week a bunch of Lexicon ites came by for coffee, but mostly in absentee today. (and many of these own something Outlaw anyways)

For that reason when two opposing opinionated types come together for
Debate
/d"bet/ verb (-ting) 1 discuss or dispute, esp. formally. 2 consider, ponder. noun discussion, esp. formal.

Rule #1: It shall always be lively!

Everything I said I stand by. And so you should.

Forgive me Mike and thanks for the release from everyday worries during this point/counterpoint thread. Maybe its time for some of the Gunslingers to dump me in the watering trough. No tar and feathers Please!

#46883 - 06/18/03 07:08 PM Re: Outlaw 950 now $799?
MixFixJ Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Vista, CA USA
Mike,
Your comments really show your lack of experience with electronics. When I read your 'flawless' comment I couldn't help but laugh. I use a much higher-end prepro and when I had it upgraded it went back to the factory twice before it was 'flawless'. People are speaking a lot of good sense to you, you're just not listening!
Mix

Miss Lena, I do know laptops. Contact me.
J

#46884 - 06/18/03 07:14 PM Re: Outlaw 950 now $799?
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikehdtv:
Seems like the political atmosphere here is don't criticize.
That's really not a fair (nor valid) criticism, especially in a thread where people have taken the time to address your complaints on a point by point basis without resorting to any name calling or ad hominem attacks. For the record, some of the strongest criticisms of Outlaw Audio have come from owners of their products, and in these very forums.

Sanjay

#46885 - 06/18/03 07:25 PM Re: Outlaw 950 now $799?
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Miss Lena,
Quote:
Last week a bunch of Lexicon ites came by for coffee...
I usually mosey on in for the atmosphere, though I'll admit the Saloon does brew a nice cup o'joe.

Sanjay

#46886 - 06/18/03 10:14 PM Re: Outlaw 950 now $799?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Mike- See that's just it. For example, if the 950 had Logic 7, I would still have it, even if it did still did cost only $800 or $900. So I think the 950 does reasonably compete with gear quite a bit more expensive.

It's OK to stand by what you think, but let me ask, what other pre/pros or receivers have you directly compared it to in your system?

And not to dwell on the "flawless" thing, but it did take Sony about 18 months and 3 software upgrades to get the TA-E9000ES to the point where it should have been when it originally shipped, and maybe Sanjay can comment on the fact that even Lexicon with the DC-2/MC-1 ended up with software at the version 4 level, so they weren't flawless when they were originally introduced either. The 1st version of the Anthem didn't ship with DPL II or DTS-ES, Rotel and the double bass problem, the B&K Ref 50 and the high freq digital electronics whine, etc, etc, etc...

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#46887 - 06/18/03 10:42 PM Re: Outlaw 950 now $799?
TCIII Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Torrance, CA, USA
To all

This thread is beginning to look like an AVS thread where equipment bashing is the sport of hifi champions. I bought my Outlaw 950 and 7100 amp because I drive a 200 HP Mustang and not a 350 HP Corvette. However I do not go around bashing Corvettes because they get me from here to there for a hell of a lot more money and gas than my Mustang. I bought Outlaw products because they are different and I like to be different. They are functional and serve the purpose that I bought them for. Bottom line: If you need to bash Outlaw go on over to the AVS form and do your thing. I was a founding member there and it is sad to see what it has become.
Regards,
TCIII

Page 11 of 14 < 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 123 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts