Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#46717 - 06/05/03 02:25 AM Re: digital optical or coax
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Don't forget jitter. Wider bandwidth is better. Safety margin on top.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#46718 - 08/04/03 05:08 PM Re: digital optical or coax
dybbuk Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Maryland
I have been using coax for digital connections. I was informed that glass Toslink could provide a better connection than coax, and that the limitation of most Toslink connections was the plastic used. I elected to try this. The difference is audible and not subtle. The coax simply couldn't compete (I tried three different ones, at varying price levels). There's a lot more information being passed through the glass Toslink. The glass Toslink I used is available for $29.99/ one meter on Ebay.

#46719 - 08/04/03 09:41 PM Re: digital optical or coax
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by dybbuk:
I have been using coax for digital connections. I was informed that glass Toslink could provide a better connection than coax, and that the limitation of most Toslink connections was the plastic used. I elected to try this. The difference is audible and not subtle. The coax simply couldn't compete (I tried three different ones, at varying price levels). There's a lot more information being passed through the glass Toslink. The glass Toslink I used is available for $29.99/ one meter on Ebay.

http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/Schneider/Schneider.html

Jeff

#46720 - 08/04/03 10:18 PM Re: digital optical or coax
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by dybbuk:
There's a lot more information being passed through the glass Toslink.
"More information?" What additional data is being passed through the glass Toslink that isn't being passed by the coax cable? I'm especially curious with Dolby Digital and DTS streams, which are packeted data. Any further information or examples would really be helpful.

Thanx,
Sanjay

#46721 - 08/04/03 10:31 PM Re: digital optical or coax
boblinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles
Quote:
What additional data is being passed through the glass Toslink that isn't being passed by the coax cable?

You know, Sanjay, it's all that Easter Egg secret data that the producers put into digital audio content targeting only those people who are using the right cable. I read about it somewhere on the Internet (www.audiotic_concepts.com, I think). It makes normal CD's sound as good as DVD-A or SACD.

I'm surprised an audio expert like yourself isn't aware of this.

Bob "My drugs are peaking" L.

[This message has been edited by boblinds (edited August 04, 2003).]

#46722 - 08/04/03 10:35 PM Re: digital optical or coax
DaleB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Clovis, CA,US
Suffice it to say, a glass Toslink at that price is a steal to say the least.
A 'good buy' requires very little justification, but to say how it's better than plastic does open up a totally new discussion!

#46723 - 08/04/03 11:34 PM Re: digital optical or coax
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
I notice a more focused soundstage and greater "pace" and "rhythm" when using glass optical cables instead of plastic. I also hear the missing sounds when I use glass, and much more than when I use regular coax. The background is more "black" with glass. Even my wife noticed the night and day differences which blew her away.

#46724 - 08/05/03 03:27 AM Re: digital optical or coax
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Bob,
Quote:
You know, Sanjay, it's all that Easter Egg secret data that the producers put into digital audio content targeting only those people who are using the right cable.
OK, that makes sense. I guess my skepticism comes from a bad personal experience I had with glass cable (shattered into little shards when I tried to bend it). BTW, I'm with the others: I use whatever digital connection is available on the back of my pre-pro, coax or Toslink.

Best,
Sanjay

#46725 - 08/05/03 11:04 AM Re: digital optical or coax
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by soundhound:
I notice a more focused soundstage and greater "pace" and "rhythm" when using glass optical cables instead of plastic. I also hear the missing sounds when I use glass, and much more than when I use regular coax. The background is more "black" with glass. Even my wife noticed the night and day differences which blew her away.

Ummm ... SoundHound? Do you claim to hear this difference even when listening to Dolby Digital sources?

Jeff

#46726 - 08/05/03 11:26 AM Re: digital optical or coax
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Jeff:

Yes, especially Dolby Digital sources - it's a night and day difference. Is sounds as if a "vail had been lifted" from the soundstage, especially from my Onkyo transistor amplifiers.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts