Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#4667 - 02/06/05 05:01 PM 1050 and dts
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
ok,came across it again and it hasn't been a big deal but i would still like to use it.

i can not get my 1050 to recognize a DTS signal.

RCA dvd with toslink out,it is dts capable,configured for dts in the menu.
the display on the 1050 goes from 'digital' to 'pro-logic' red arrow next to 'pcm' and no sound.
if i switch back to 'dolby digital' in the dvd menu,all is fine.
the dvd's i've tried this with are labeled as dts.
checked the 1050 manual and it said the 1050 will pick 'the better signal' when multiple signals are present.
i don't even really know that i will like dts over dd but i would at least like to check it out since i should be capable.

what am i doin' wrong(besides not owning a 950)?

#4668 - 02/06/05 06:09 PM Re: 1050 and dts
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Have you checked your DVD player to make sure it is set to output DTS? What you are experiencing sounds exactly what happened to me when I first got my 1050 - my DVD player's default setting was to not pass a bitstream DTS signal, and I had to change it to bitstream for DTS in order to get any signal at all output from the player.

#4669 - 02/06/05 06:27 PM Re: 1050 and dts
painttoad Offline
Desperado

as far as the menu in the dvd goes,yes it is set.
i set it up in the actual disk menu then set up the players menu (more of a trouble-shoot type thing to retrace my steps) for dts.
still no sound

#4670 - 02/06/05 07:10 PM Re: 1050 and dts
gonk Offline
Desperado

What's the model number on the DVD player? Does the player's menu have DTS output set to bitstream rather than PCM?

#4671 - 02/06/05 07:28 PM Re: 1050 and dts
painttoad Offline
Desperado

rc5220p rca dvd player/dd,dts digital out

optical is the only digital out.no 5.1 out

i'm gonna try to find the manual,i would like to think everything is set up correctly,but i'm not perfect

#4672 - 02/06/05 07:44 PM Re: 1050 and dts
painttoad Offline
Desperado

boy, i've found some crappy reviews on this unit,but for the most part i've had minimal problems,biggest was no cd-r's but my cal doesn't do cd-r either.can't find the manual and rca's site is of no help(big surprise!)

#4673 - 02/06/05 08:05 PM Re: 1050 and dts
gonk Offline
Desperado

I coudn't find any signs of a manual for it either. I'll borrow an example from a Panasonic plaer, though - it's a pretty typical setting option, and often defaults such that DTS won't work. Under Audio, there should be an option for DTS digital audio that offers either bitstream or PCM. You don't want PCM, which it may have defaulted to. You do want bitstream, which passes the DTS signal with no changes. This setting is defaulted to PCM on many players to prevent DTS signals being passed through the digital output to receivers that do not support DTS (which was much more common four or five years ago, but pretty darn rare today).

#4674 - 02/06/05 08:25 PM Re: 1050 and dts
painttoad Offline
Desperado

thanks for the help gonk,but to no avail.
i have not found any settings for bitstream or pcm
i have seen that pcm setting on a different disk,it seems like the dvd menu changes with the disk and available options,but why have an option and not be able to access it?
now that i've played with it today maybe now i'll lose sleep over it.
i've heard rca's assistance sucks, but i think they'll get a phone call tommorrow!

#4675 - 02/06/05 08:56 PM Re: 1050 and dts
gonk Offline
Desperado

I think we may be talking about different menus, since the behavior you are experiencing is so similar to what I ran into before. The DVD menu (accessed from "menu" or "top menu" buttons on the remote) is part of the disc, and would not include the kind of setting I'm talking about. Separate from that menu, the player should have a setup menu (possibly labeled "setup" on the remote, and in some cases only accessible when there's no disc in the player - it depends on the manufacturer) that allows you to set things like screen size (4:3 or 16:9), audio outputs, and a lot of other options that vary from player to player.

On current RCA players (at least the DRC233N ), the player menu appears when there is no disc in the player or when you hit STOP with a disc in. The DRC233N does not include any options along these lines, which should indicate that DTS is always passed via bitstream. It does have an option for virtual surround, which I would recommend disabling if it is present. The player you have is apparently a model year or two older than the 233N, so the menu options are probably different (getting into the menu may also be different).

#4676 - 02/06/05 09:38 PM Re: 1050 and dts
painttoad Offline
Desperado

gonk,you are once again the man!

popped the dvd tray open,hit menu,there's a whole list of setup options listed.one was audio and there was pcm,dd,dts
set it on dts ready to go as soon as my fionna cd is done i'll check it out.
thanks buddy!i'll let you know how it goes.(i know it will be fine now,call it a hunch!)

btw,seen any electrons nose diving off the fan lately?(watch closely)

thanks again,gonk.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 95 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts