Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#46584 - 05/19/03 11:15 PM Re: The "950", the "better" of the clone wars?
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Not quite a clone, but yet another processor based on the original Eastech design. Interesting reading.

Best,
Sanjay

#46585 - 05/19/03 11:57 PM Re: The "950", the "better" of the clone wars?
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
What a find Sanjay! Personally the thread cracks me up. Particularly the quote, “There are digital design/engineering firms that exist in this country, specifically catering to high end manufacturers. These companies design products ranging from D/A converters to surround processors, providing variants to meet the needs of specific clients. If you are surprised by this, all I can say is, welcome to the real world.”

(One of the first things I noticed when I first started researching audio/video). I’m sure FAP-TI will spend a lot of PR setting itself apart, they will have to for a 2K difference in pricing from the 950 on up. I’m not sure what they street for but 3K SR was what I saw in the past. (and if there are not some differences shame on them, Outlaw should sell for that much…….!)

I think I will be following some of the ‘wars’ again almost gleefully when I have time in a month or so. Reminds me of the good ole bad ole days, I appreciate J Fosgates DPLII. And have long been intrigued this platform (950’s) was selected to build the FAP-TI from.

It takes a whole village of pre-pro’s to raise one platform.

Moments like this, - watching the arguments gear up again for a newcomer and against the same brands Outlaws been linked with comparatively (the whole current crop). I’m so glad I’m an Outlaw. I’d hate to have the (lots of brands that will be nameless- owners) coming into my new FAP-TI chat to slap me silly for paying whatever I paid for my pre-pro (compared to their superior sound).

I getting where some days I look forward to anything launching (to watch the sparks fly). And others where they wear me out so I just count my 950 savings.

#46586 - 05/20/03 04:11 AM Re: The "950", the "better" of the clone wars?
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Miss Lena,

What I'm finding interestng is that the more processors that come out based on this one Eastech design, the more respect it gets. It's amazing (and unfortunate) how tripling the price of a pre-pro makes many audiophiles finally take it seriously. I wonder what other pre-pros are due out based on this design.

I always thought that the Atlantic Technology and Sherbourn versions were basically direct clones of the 950; the AT version especially, considering Peter Tribeman's associations with Outlaw and AT. However, after reading about the modifications done for the FAP-T1, I think I could have been wrong about the Sherbourn unit. Looks like Eastech really does allow its clients to customize this design to suit their particular spec. Ron Fone of Sherbourn has always maintained that their version includes improvements to the stock design; I'm more inclined to believe him now rather than dismiss his remarks as marketing hype.

BTW, I was perusing the FAP-T1's instruction manual , and the specifications page looks like a physical cut-n-paste from the same page in the 950's manual. Funny.

Best,
Sanjay

P.S. Off topic, but how did your Mother's Day go? Finally get a break from the daily grind to relax and enjoy your system?

sd

#46587 - 05/20/03 08:06 AM Re: The "950", the "better" of the clone wars?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Eastech should be thrilled with the "950" base design -- it's turning up all over the place. And for all of the modifications that Fosgate implemented to produce their $3000 pre/pro, the basic signal path and the processing appears almost completely unchanged (based on the manual). Remember all of the processor limitations that were such a sticking point on the 950 last winter? Single speaker distance setting for all surrounds? Still there. Oh, and the manual that I believe Outlaw was principally responsible for writing (it is very similar in style to the other Outlaw manuals) is seeing a lot of recycling, too -- the remote macro example in the FAP-T1 manual even includes the error from the 950's manual. Oop...

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#46588 - 05/20/03 11:58 AM Re: The "950", the "better" of the clone wars?
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Gonk,

Regarding the manual: from the thread linked above:
Quote:
Originally posted by cwood
The generic manual was supplied by Eastech to us, just as they supplied it to Outlaw. The manual was written by an outside technical writer. We initially used it but we haven't been pleased with the layout and presentation. Subsequently, we rewrote it.

The basic specs could apply with a number of different analog op amps. I have no idea what Outlaw, Sherborne or others are using. Obviously some brands may have changed devices as part of their program to improve noise performance.

Charles Wood
Fosgate Audionics
Rockford Corp.

#46589 - 05/20/03 01:21 PM Re: The "950", the "better" of the clone wars?
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Off topic, but how did your Mother's Day go? Finally get a break from the daily grind to relax and enjoy your system?. Nada, I’m still in the (somewhat) younger mother age bracket and [thankfully] have two “Mothers” (husbands and mine) in town I go and honor on this day. Not my turn to be top dog yet. (but thank you for inquiring!) And right now really need to dissapper into a load of work!. I wonder if the 950 travels well? I could take it on vacation with me. awhhh

Just curious (for the parts pricing guys) round here. How much do you think the snazzy “mini-monitor” with security camera feed and its internal collectives added to PPU costs on the FAP's to manufacture?

#46590 - 05/20/03 02:26 PM Re: The "950", the "better" of the clone wars?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
sdurani -- Cool deal; it's almost as if the reply was meant for my post. I'd noticed that they had done some re-arranging of the layout (shifting sections around) in addition to adding instructions for the additional features. I think I'll make a note to check out Fosgate's manual after the re-write. Could be handy to have multiple approaches to documenting the shared features.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#46591 - 05/20/03 04:33 PM Re: The "950", the "better" of the clone wars?
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Quote:
How much do you think the snazzy “mini-monitor” with security camera feed and its internal collectives added to PPU costs on the FAP's to manufacture?
$2000?

#46592 - 05/21/03 08:10 PM Re: The "950", the "better" of the clone wars?
Scott Offline
Desperado

We’ve seen quite a bit of message traffic recently, both here and elsewhere, dealing with the question of “Who designed the platform that is used by the Model 950 and other brands that sell derivative products manufactured by Eastech, the core OEM/ODM company.” As you read all of these messages and claims, we urge you to remember that each of the companies involved needs to put their own best foot forward. There is both truth and marketing in everyone’s statement.

However, to set the record straight, it is appropriate for us to say the following on this subject and then leave it to you to make your decisions.

- The concept for this platform was developed as an original idea by the Outlaws. We outlined the basic feature set, developed the user interface, provided the basics of the system architecture, specified the major components and subsystems, and participated in the engineering design and evaluation. Anyone who doubts that this can look back in the archives to the press conference held at the CES in 2002 where Cirrus Logic and Eastech jointly announced the product as one developed with Outlaw.

- Anyone who doubts our design and engineering contribution ignores the fact that many of the key innovations of the product, including the triple crossover and the analog bass management switch were specifically engineered by Outlaw. In the case of the triple crossover, we developed the concept and handed it over to Cirrus Logic. They graciously developed the circuitry based on our requirements and then made it available to other licensees.

- We have never hidden the fact that the Model 950 is an OEM/ODM product. However, it is important to understand how that works in this particular case. The 950 was developed on an ODM basis for Outlaw, and in a number of key aspects, BY Outlaw. Once the underlying design was completed, Eastech offered it as an OEM product to other companies. Each of those companies makes their own arrangement with Eastech about what, if anything they wish to change. We have no control over what those changes are, and quite frankly, cannot comment on any claims since we are not involved in those businesses. All we can say for certain is that they are all changes to an underlying design originated by and for the Outlaws.

- Another piece of the puzzle that may help identify the origins of the 950 platform. The owner’s manual was written and designed by Outlaw. As part of our cooperative agreement with Eastech, they make that manual available to their customers as part of the OEM package. Think about it: Wouldn’t it make sense for the group that originated the product to write the manual? As with the product itself, Eastech’s customers are free to alter or adopt our basic manual as they see fit. Some do, some do not.

Regards,

Scott

#46593 - 05/21/03 08:45 PM Re: The "950", the "better" of the clone wars?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Hee, hee. *Some* of us knew it was this way all along. But it is nice for Scott to put it down in print for all to see.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 112 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts