Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#46558 - 05/14/03 08:37 PM My wife said to email Gonk......
AJZepp Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Flowery Branch, GA
....but I figure I've bugged him enough lately and would just post it here for some help

I must be the luckiest guy in the world, because my wife is actually encouraging my upgrade-itis. This is truly unbelievable......anyway....
Here's where I'm at:
I just picked up an Outlaw 950 and three M200's (these are the coolest things I've ever seen) to take care of the fronts and center. I have a Parasound HCA-855 that I've been using for the surrounds, and was planning on using for the rears for a 7.1 configuration. Okay....so here's the deal. With Gonk's help, I have made the decision to order a pair of Paradigm Studio/100's and a studio/cc. I've also decided to add some studio/20's for surrounds. My wife says that the surround sound just doens't cut it for her, and she thinks we need some more power back there. (Yes, the system is calibrated with an SPL to 85 db.) She says, "why don't you just get some more of those cool mini amps and get rid of the Parasound?" So naturally I got to thinking......maybe a couple more of those Mblocks would do a nice job with the 20's when I get them. One stack of three looks pretty damn cool, so maybe two stacks would look even cooler....not to mention the fact that we are both thrilled to death with the sound. Okay.....the 950 is 7.1......but my wife says that she really prefers we don't go more than 6.1, since we are only wired for three in the back. Given that I won't be going to 7.1 any time soon, I'm thinking maybe adding three more M200's wouldn't be a bad idea! I could add two more now and stick with 5.1, and then when I track down an additional studio/20 for the rear surround, I could just add another M200. So what's the problem? Well......my Parasound is only about two months old, and even though I really, really like it, it's only 85 wpc. I initially got it to pair with my 1050 (and it was an awesome pair!), but I've had a financial window of opportunity to upgrade and have gone Outlaw and Paradigm crazy lately. So......do you guys think I should just stick with the Parasound (i.e. 85 wpc is sufficient for the back) or should I move the Parasound and pick up a couple/few more M200's???
Any feedback would be greatly apprecaited.....Happy Listening!!
7075 Amp
950 PrePro (2003-2010)
975 PrePro (2012-Present)
Outlaw ICs (2003-Present)
M8 Subwoofer (2011-Present)
???

#46559 - 05/14/03 10:08 PM Re: My wife said to email Gonk......
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Hee, hee. I am 100% believer in 200 W per channel, for all channels. But of course, that's what I have too: 1 Acurus A200 for the fronts, and 1 A200x5 for everything else.

But seriously, it depends on how big your room is, how efficient your speakers are, and how loud you like your music/movies.

Maybe in the old days of just Dolby Pro Logic, and mostly ambient content for surrounds, maybe less power for the surrounds/rear(s) would be OK vs the fronts. But I believe that with DD/DTS then DD EX/DTS-ES, *and* producers including more spatially relevant info into the surround/rear channels, that you just don't want to take a chance of shortchanging yourself back there.

In closing? I've never heard anyone complain that too much power is ever a bad thing. But you've got to decide that yourself.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#46560 - 05/14/03 10:22 PM Re: My wife said to email Gonk......
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
vote # 2 for: 'you never have too much amp.'

i'm using 260 watt monoblocks all around. it's not about loud. it's about enough amp headroom for clean transients.

go for it. you'll wish you did later if you don't.

and...don't forget to post the results of your upgrades!!!

#46561 - 05/14/03 10:37 PM Re: My wife said to email Gonk......
cburbs Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: de pere
I might be interested in the Parasound if you sell it. Let me know. cburbs@new.rr.com

#46562 - 05/15/03 08:06 AM Re: My wife said to email Gonk......
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I'll go along with Kevin and bossobass on this one -- the pair of 200's sounds like a good way to go.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#46563 - 05/15/03 11:21 AM Re: My wife said to email Gonk......
rghinton Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Green Bay, WI USA
No question! Go with the 200's.

#46564 - 05/15/03 01:38 PM Re: My wife said to email Gonk......
audvid Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fairview, TX
Was it Bizarro World in the old Superman comics that everything was opposite and backwards?

AJZepp, your wife is actually encouraging you to buy the 200s and your hesitant?????

Did she also encourage you to buy the 73" Mitsubishi and you said no, lets get the 35" RCA?

Please don't get mad and don't take me too seriously, I'm just kiddin' with you a little. But I have to believe the 200s are the way to go.

#46565 - 05/15/03 04:20 PM Re: My wife said to email Gonk......
AJsWife Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Lawrenceville, Ga, USA
Okay, I don't know if many wives actually get on this forum and talk, but here I am and I have something to say! LOL

I am sitting here begging AJ to get three Paradigm 20's for our rear's and then get 3 of those cute as pie mini-blocks for the amps. And you know what he is saying guys??
He doesn't want to spend the money. Well, here is my theory and just out of curiosity I would love to hear what some of you guys have to say. We already have a kick butt sub, and that thing he calls a processor 950 something, the best TV, he just bought the 100's (which I also told him to buy) and we have 3 of the cute little mini-blocks already. Now, if you are all still with me, I think that if we are going to complete the system and have something that will knock the pictures off the walls, we should get the system which I have described above.
Now, I don't know too much about all this stuff, but I think that is a good idea. Does anyone have any opinions?? They will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

#46566 - 05/15/03 04:50 PM Re: My wife said to email Gonk......
Oil Can Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Shelbyville, KY, USA
“Cute! Baby ducks are cute.”

#46567 - 05/15/03 05:08 PM Re: My wife said to email Gonk......
bolson Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I'll buy your 3 M200's and you can buy a 770!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 212 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Helson 1
patm1198 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts