Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#46506 - 05/28/03 05:58 PM Re: 950+7100 vs. a receiver
armstrg Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Audvid, good reply useful information.
Dobeman, the question is "can ANYONE notice an improvement in sound quality" not just me in particular. You should read and understand the entire thread prior to posting a reply.

#46507 - 05/28/03 09:40 PM Re: 950+7100 vs. a receiver
Xyzfla Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oldsmar,FL,USA
It’s taken me a lot longer to come to grips with the 950/7100 then I thought it would. I posted a few weeks ago that I’d be seriously listening to my new equipment a few days after it arrived on my doorstep. In anticipation of the arrival of the separates I sold my 1050. This means I couldn’t do a side-by-side nor could I go back to it unless I bought a new one. Well, the first weekend was disappointing. Using the same speakers, sub-woofer cables etc. I found the sound rather congested, lacking in dynamics and a bit harsh. After awhile I turned it off and went to listen to my two channel stereo setup which has none of those problems. Then it dawned on me …break-in …. So back to the home theater I went and turned it on and kept it on for more than a week. Mostly on tuner. What a difference. I’m not sure it’s fully broken-in yet as it seems to sound better every time I turn it on. Over the holiday weekend the HT setup was used a lot. While everyone else watched the screen I marveled at the improved sound. The dynamics were perhaps the most notable difference but also the music during parts of Drumline was great. Nothing like a rim shot out of 5.1 speakers. Also it was very easy to follow the dialog even when there was a lot going on in the movie. I felt the 1050 didn’t do well in these areas. The 1050 seemed rather bland. The family all mentioned the improved sound with the 950/7100 … without being asked …. go figure. The 1050 sound never got a mention either good or bad. Lastly, I decided to listen to several CD’s through the 950/7100. This is an area I thought the 1050 was particularly poor at. I was very surprised at how good the 950/7100 sounded. I went to get more CD’s to try. I never did this with the 1050, it was always one and out.
As to the question of the 950/7100 being worth the extra $1,000 over the 1050, you’ll have to judge that for yourselves. All I can say is that, with time, the separates are delivering in the areas I expected, better sound, a more capable set-up (surround modes, 2nd zone, OSD) etc.
But on the other hand I’m wondering if I would have been better off keeping the 1050 and spending $1,000 on a new cartridge for one of my Linn turntables … ummmm. More to follow.

#46508 - 06/04/03 08:52 PM Re: 950+7100 vs. a receiver
armstrg Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Xyzfla -
The million $$ question. Is the 950/7100 worth the money?

#46509 - 06/04/03 09:13 PM Re: 950+7100 vs. a receiver
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
You know, I met the top two executives from Linn Audio at CES 2001, and to my embarassment, I hadn't even heard of Linn at the time. We sat together during the SACD presentation and we chatted for a while, but I'm sure they were thinking that I was a total doofus for not knowing who they were.

Jeff

[This message has been edited by D'Arbignal (edited June 05, 2003).]

#46510 - 06/04/03 10:15 PM Re: 950+7100 vs. a receiver
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
Am I ahead of the times or behind, the last receiver I purchased was a Kenwood TK140. That was a while back and I have never regretted my decision to go to separates. Whether you decide on Outlaw or something else, I think it is a wise move to go to separates. The value in separates is their flexibility. You will save more money in the long run with separates, IMHO.
------------------
MeanGene's Home

[This message has been edited by MeanGene (edited June 04, 2003).]

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#46511 - 06/05/03 02:27 AM Re: 950+7100 vs. a receiver
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Linn Sondek LP-12. One of the best turntables ever made. The design is maybe 15 to 20 years old now.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#46512 - 06/06/03 12:21 AM Re: 950+7100 vs. a receiver
Xyzfla Offline
Gunslinger

You ask good questions armstrg --- I guess I can best sum up my feelings about my new 950/7100 purchase by saying "I’m going to keep them". I’m enjoying them more everyday. The harshness, the one shortfall not completely cured by the break-in period, seems to be the greater resolving power of the separates than I experienced with the 1050. In other words the 1050 was more forgiving (I think I used the term bland in my last post) the 950/7100 doesn’t mask a “hot” DVD. I’ve found this to be true with better equipment. Feed the separates good material and they really sing. An important point is that most (by a wide margin) of the DVD’s I watched sounded great.

So, D’Arbignal, you met Ivor Tiefenbrun from Linn? He’s quite a character. There are few companies I respect as much as Linn. I’ve enjoyed the LP-12, & many other Linn products, since they started in the 70’s. And I still have two LP-12. Neither are hooked up to the 950/7100. I use them in a separate two-channel setup.

#46513 - 06/06/03 03:11 AM Re: 950+7100 vs. a receiver
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Xyzfla:
So, D’Arbignal, you met Ivor Tiefenbrun from Linn? He’s quite a character. There are few companies I respect as much as Linn. I’ve enjoyed the LP-12, & many other Linn products, since they started in the 70’s. And I still have two LP-12. Neither are hooked up to the 950/7100. I use them in a separate two-channel setup.

Yup, I met him. Got the photo to prove it: http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/ces2002/people/page_08.shtml .

In retrospect, I'm just terrible embarassed at the whole incident. "So, what do you guys make?"

Gah! That reminds me of John Cleese's line to James Bond: "And you are ...?"

Jeff

#46514 - 06/07/03 12:34 AM Re: 950+7100 vs. a receiver
Hoots Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Flower Mound, TX USA
Processor technology changes frequently so it's good to keep the same amps and have less invested in the box that goes obsolete.

Here's some ramblings...

Isn't the LINN LP12 from years ago a totally different unit other than the cosmetics? The power, the bearings, the arm, etc. Shopping for an LP12 can be complicated with all the variances. The setup also seems to require a more advanced user. I would agree this is a class TT but I'm not sure if those old units selling under $1k are as attractive as other options. They certainly don't seem to be comparable to the $2K+ newer Linns...or so I'm told.

I have a 1050 and I have totally replaced it for 2-channel with an early 1960's Scott 222c which is heaps better sounding with my Cornwalls...and oh how wonderful the phono stage. Now I still like separates so I'm getting a Scott 130 preamp and updating my ST-70 amp for more headroom.

I use the 1050 for HT center and three sourrounds. It does a fine job although it's getting a bit dated in features which is making me tempted to get a 950 and a 5-channel Outlaw amp using the DYnaco for the mains.

My perception is that the 950 for processing along with a 2-channel preamp with HT pass-through would be ideal. One can then add the amps of their choice which for me would be 2 tube amps and a 5-channel Outlaw although if I had modern less effecient speakers I'd probably go with all SS amps.

[This message has been edited by Hoots (edited June 07, 2003).]

#46515 - 06/07/03 12:43 PM Re: 950+7100 vs. a receiver
Xyzfla Offline
Gunslinger

Ivor has quite a sense of humor. I would have loved to see the expression on his face and the “humorous” comments that might have followed an inquire about what Linn makes.

As to the LP-12. Yes, it has changed over the years. It was first available in 1972, I believe, and the first update was a new main switch in 1974, Since then it has seen many updates including, “nirvana”, “valhalla”, “lingo”, “trampolin”, “cirkus” and now a new version of “lingo”. Also, the arm and cartridge can be updated from “Basic” to “Ekos/Arkiv”. Don’t you love those names? All of which can be retrofitted to the original LP-12. What a concept!!! And yes, I’ve found the latest updates improve the sound. The setup of the LP-12 and other “sprung” tables is more complicated than say a Rega (also a very good table) but more capable I think you’ll find. This isn’t to say that the only table choice is LP-12 there are very good reasonably priced tables from Music Hall, Rega, Pro-ject, Basis, Bluenote, JA Michell, VPI and others. Seems to be a good time to buy/upgrade your turntable. There are more and better offerings at all price points then a few years ago.

As far as buying a used LP-12, I’d get one from a Linn dealer or have a Linn dealer check out your prospective purchase. The check out should be reasonably priced especially if you agree to a tune up (new belt, oil, and perhaps springs & grommets and suspension adjustment) on your new purchase. Make sure it is in good original condition (meaning Linn parts regardless of upgrade level, although there are quality upgrades available from companies like NAIM) and go from there. Add, or have the dealer add, the upgrades you feel make sense from a cost and a sonic standpoint. Or leave it alone and enjoy it for years. A last thought if you have an LP-12 shipped make sure the original box is used (replacements are available from Linn), and the outer/inner platter ARE REMOVED. If they are not removed for shipping you’ll need a new bearing or the “cirkus” mod which includes a new bearing. And, once re-assembled the suspension will need to be adjusted for the “proper bounce”.

I also have separate setups for 2 channel stereo and home theater. Let me leave it at “I rarely play music on the HT setup”. That said, my new 950/7100 does a much better job with music only playback than the 1050 did.

[This message has been edited by Xyzfla (edited June 07, 2003).]

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 106 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts