Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#46360 - 04/18/03 01:29 AM Wow. It's good not owning a 950 anymore... but I still love it.
merc Offline
Desperado

Loc: Deep in the Woodlands of Texas
I haven't owned an Outlaw 950 for several months now. Not because I was unhappy with it for the under $2K price, but because I could finally afford better.

Yet, now after revisiting this forum, I am happy for an all together different reason.... I don't have to defend it against the anti-Outlaw folks. Ahhhhhh.... nice.

I've been perusing the posts by Ricky(hi Ricky!) and JT(hi JT!) and don't see many posts from my ex-nemessis's Will and Crazy, and all I can think is, I am so glad I don't have to be so personally protective of such a fine electronic value anymore. Hey guys it was fun, then it got repetitive, then it got boring, then it got mean, and then I just got quiet. Still, for me, it was a good learning experience in being one of the first to try a market ground breaking product.

Anyway, I am now more tolerant of others, mostly, and it is because I learned that defending the truth when it comes to a piece of electronics is simply not worth the friends you might lose in defending it.

I do still have my second ICBM and love it, and will always have nice things to say about the under $1K 950, and will always loyally be thankful to Peter for the opportunity he gave me, yet, my public days of beta testing electronics are behind me forever.

Anyway, always try to remember, it is only a black, or silver, box. Next year, version II is gonna be available. However, next year, you will still be talking with the version one of Ricky. Be kind.

Take Care,
merc
merc\'s primary system

#46361 - 04/18/03 09:07 AM Re: Wow. It's good not owning a 950 anymore... but I still love it.
JohnTompkins Offline
Gunslinger

Hey Merc!..long time no see, hope life's going well for you!

I also am extremly pleased with my icbm..the only other choice in the crossover catagory was the mirage (forget model number)..but it is older and much more expensive..Love the stereo outs of the icbm (hooked up to small side speakers and a couple of nht sw2 subs)..

Anyway nice talkin to ya and wanted to say that I saw your equipment list over on httalk and you've built a GREAT system..(on a side note I see you have a cal sigma tube dac 24/96)..I purchased one this wwek and it should arrive next week...

#46362 - 04/18/03 02:58 PM Re: Wow. It's good not owning a 950 anymore... but I still love it.
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Loc: Home on the range
Wow, look at that Merc, you are right. All you had to do was dump the 950 and now JT is on your side, actually complimenting you (probably on stuff he has never heard).
Seriously, its good to see you again. Thanks again for fighting the good fight (you and RAF) as long as you did, I appreciate it. The HTF is not the same without you, honestly. Congratulations on the new setup.

#46363 - 04/18/03 07:24 PM Re: Wow. It's good not owning a 950 anymore... but I still love it.
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Merc- I think I remember you trying a Lexicon in there, and maybe a Ref 50? What did you end up with?

I'm currently debating the 950 vs a Lexicon MC-1 plus a Sony TS-P9000ES vs the 950's big brother (whenever it shall arrive). I liked the 7.1 effect on the 950 so much, I'm getting more anxious for Logic 7/THX Ultra2...

I just did the 950's Eprom swap, and I was really impressed with the build quality inside.

Good to have you drop in!

[This message has been edited by Kevin C Brown (edited April 18, 2003).]

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#46364 - 04/19/03 09:37 PM Re: Wow. It's good not owning a 950 anymore... but I still love it.
cappy24 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: farmingville new york
hey kevin...being a newbie to separates, and carefully reading every review,and taking very experienced peoples OPINIONS into consideration...i just purchased an mc1 and two citation 7.1's. i'm very excited, and would like to thank many people on this forum for being so helpful....to also put credit where credit is due, i need to thank rick for all the time he spent(and still will)on advising me....

#46365 - 04/20/03 01:40 AM Re: Wow. It's good not owning a 950 anymore... but I still love it.
merc Offline
Desperado

Loc: Deep in the Woodlands of Texas
Hmmm, I hope my post did not actually open a door to new debates on the 950. I sure didn't mean for it to do so. So, let me explain further.

At around the time I was shipped the blue dot 950, I got the chance to demo a B&K Ref 50. At the same time, I tried an Anthem 20. I also tried a Sunfire TG3 unit, and a Krell Showcase. Although I NEVER did any A/B testing, I was able to make some decisions for my own system. AND, those desisions only comply to those units in my system, according to my eyes and ears.

At the end, here was my audio only preference:

Krell
Anthem
B&K
Outlaw

This order was only for bypass music playback. The differences were also very SLIGHT and might not be noticable in most systems or in certain playback specifics.

Audio Playback for DVD movies was not diferenceable..... N0 difference was noticable via movie playback.

I ended up with the Ref 50 due to performance cost differential vs Krell.

[This message has been edited by merc (edited April 20, 2003).]
merc\'s primary system

#46366 - 04/20/03 02:38 AM Re: Wow. It's good not owning a 950 anymore... but I still love it.
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Merc- The 950 rocks. Best value out there for the money. Awesome customer service. But it *is* interesting why people go different routes. The Ref 50 is awesome too. So would be the MC-1/P9000ES combo! I've just got this *bug in my ear* about non-mono rears. The Ref 50 has those too, but not Logic 7, although it does have THX Ultra2. So me and cappy might end up at the same place even though I have the 950 for now. Cool.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 151 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Helson 1
patm1198 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts