Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#4615 - 09/01/04 12:41 PM Center channel issue (not rear center)
Scrid Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
Just recently, my center channel has been acting up (Acoustimass 10 speaker system). When I start a DVD (any DVD) the center channel is silent and the right channel will put out the center channel information. The only way I can correct the problem is tweaking the size of the center channel to LARGE then change back to SMALL. It seems to revert back when I shut down the DVD player. Any ideas why the center would act this way??

#4616 - 09/01/04 09:23 PM Re: Center channel issue (not rear center)
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I'm not sure why this would be occuring, but I've got two questions to look for an answer. First, are you using the digital audio output from the DVD player or the 5.1 analog output? (I'd expect that it's the digital, with the 1050 handling the bass management, but since you mentioned that the problem recurs when you shut down the DVD player I thought I'd check.) Second, how do you have the Acoustimass speakers hooked up? At one time, I had an Acoustimass 7 system that is similar to the AM10, and it required the speaker cables to route through the bass module before going to the satellites - if yours is set up that way, you might try changing up the wiring so that the center cube is directly connected to the 1050 to see if there's something odd going on inside the bass module. (As an aside, do you have a separate sub with this system? I ask because you had the center set to small and the Acoustimass systems I've seen typically would lend themselves to being run large without a dedicated sub.)

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#4617 - 09/02/04 09:34 PM Re: Center channel issue (not rear center)
Scrid Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I'm using the optical out.

As for the speakers, I have the satellite speakers to the bass module and the bass module to the receiver. I also have a powered sub to the receiver.

The thing is nothing has changed with the set up. It has been working fine for the last year. I just started to notice it lately.

I should clarify one thing. Turning the DVD off then on does not affect the problem. If I correct the problem then turn off the receiver (while keeping the DVD player running), it reverts back to the problem when I turn the receiver back on.

I’m at a loss.

#4618 - 09/03/04 09:17 AM Re: Center channel issue (not rear center)
gonk Offline
Desperado

That is odd. I'd suggest touching base with Outlaw support, which is available either online or over the phone at 866-688-5292. Just out of curiousity, though, does the problem recur if you leave the center set to large and turn the 1050 off and back on? Also, does the center information seem to be combined with the right or does it replace the right?

------------------

#4619 - 09/03/04 10:17 AM Re: Center channel issue (not rear center)
Scrid Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Just out of curiousity, though, does the problem recur if you leave the center set to large and turn the 1050 off and back on?

I tried leaving the center at large and it still reverted back.

Also, does the center information seem to be combined with the right or does it replace the right?

It seems all the center information comes out of the right. The left seems to be fine and the center is silent.

#4620 - 09/03/04 10:40 AM Re: Center channel issue (not rear center)
gonk Offline
Desperado

Does it appear that the center channel is being re-routed to the right channel output and the right channel signal simply discarded? Or is the center channel being mixed with the right channel and both sent to the right speaker? Neither scenario makes a lot of sense to me, but the first case seems more feasible from a signal path perspective.

------------------

Who's Online
0 registered (), 111 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM