Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#46151 - 04/06/03 08:59 PM Re: 5 second sound drop-out after layer change in DTS-ES...
nohjy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lehigh Valley, PA
KCB:

This audio drop out only occurs when playing something in DTS-ES. It does exactly what Lena said. When using the chapter skip (or following a layer change), the 950 loses the lock on the decoding method. It then will recognize a DTS signal and then locks into DTS-ES mode at which point the sound will kick in. This takes approximately 3 seconds to occur. From the other posts and from talking to Scott, this appears to be the way the 950 handles DTS-ES dcoding. It would have been nice if they had allowed for the manual setting of this decoding method, instead of having to rely on the 950 to automatically identify the required decoding method (DTS-ES).

John

#46152 - 04/07/03 01:32 AM Re: 5 second sound drop-out after layer change in DTS-ES...
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
My experiences still do not jive with yours.

I watched LOTR and Stargate both in DTS-ES before we all found out about the lack of LFE. Layer change, I spot every time, doesn't matter what the soundtrack is. But the 950 didn't lose the signal lock. If you go back through the other threads, I was very hyper about the 950 losing the lock *during* playing of CDs. So I am very sensitive about that in general. (*Never* had problems with signal lock on the Sony pre/pro I had prior.) But at least with the 47ai and the Denon 3800 with the 950, doesn't seem to happen.

My guess, is that the delay with the layer change on the player you are using is long enough that the 950 *does* lose the signal.

I had even postulated in that other thread, that the 950's "time constant" for maintaining the lock wasn't long enough, because I was losing the lock *in* CDs that I knew ran OK with the Sony with the same exact DVD player. And you're right, switching to a dedicated input with PCM chosen did the trick.

Potential bottom line? If you're looking for an excuse to upgrade your DVD player, this might be it.

[This message has been edited by Kevin C Brown (edited April 07, 2003).]

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#46153 - 04/07/03 10:15 AM Re: 5 second sound drop-out after layer change in DTS-ES...
nohjy Offline
Gunslinger

Kevin:

Now that you mentioned it, I don't recall this happening on my first 950 and I know it didn't happen on my Denon AVR-3802. I did notice it once I received my new 950 with the DTS-ES LFE issue addressed. Can someone who has the 950 version with the DTS-ES LFE fix in place test this? I would greatly appreciate it. Its really strange to me that this only occurs in DTS-ES and nowhere else. My 950 does not lose the signal lock during the layer change or using chapter skip in any other format. Just for the record I have a Panasonic cp-72 DVD player. I honestly do not believe this is my DVD player.

Gonk:

Do you have the DTS-ES LFE fix in place? You seem to be experiencing the same problem. Do you lose the signal lock when using chapter skip? What DVD player are you using?

Lena:

How long is the delay you experience between the new chapter being accessed and the audio kicking in?

Thank you to all for their help! I realize I am being anal about this, but it really is annoying!

John

[This message has been edited by nohjy (edited April 07, 2003).]

#46154 - 04/08/03 12:11 PM Re: 5 second sound drop-out after layer change in DTS-ES...
nohjy Offline
Gunslinger

#46155 - 04/08/03 03:01 PM Re: 5 second sound drop-out after layer change in DTS-ES...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I've got the DTS-ES fix in place. The culprit here, though, is not in the 950's code. I tried DTS, DTS-ES, Dolby Digital, and DD EX soundtracks after I got the fix in last night. My DVD player still "resets" the digital audio signal when there's a chapter skip with a DTS-ES track, but it does not reset the audio for regular DTS or any Dolby Digital. Any receiver or pre/pro that has to pause to acquire the signal will experience this. It could be related to Panasonic's players -- Kevin's not experiencing it, and he has a Pioneer, but your Panasonic CP72, Smart Little Lena's Panasonic RP91, and my Panasonic RA60 are all doing it.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#46156 - 04/08/03 03:40 PM Re: 5 second sound drop-out after layer change in DTS-ES...
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Gonk- But do you see it across a layer change?

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#46157 - 04/08/03 04:40 PM Re: 5 second sound drop-out after layer change in DTS-ES...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Kevin -- that's the one thing I didn't get a chance to try. I'll check it out soon and see what happens...

------------------

#46158 - 04/08/03 06:57 PM Re: 5 second sound drop-out after layer change in DTS-ES...
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
"Lena: How long is the delay you experience between the new chapter being accessed and the audio kicking in?"

Nohjy, sorry for the delay. I own 2 950's wanted to try it on both.

Main system: w/ Panasonic RP91. 3 sec to 3 1/4
Secondary System: w/ Pioneer DV-C302D 3-disc changer. (this is an old player but not utterly antiquated. 96/24 D/A. 2 sec, sometimes locking in audio just before it hits the 2nd sec mark.

Had to find a watch with a second hand (did not own a stopwatch. This was with Gladiator in DTS-ES on chapter skip forward.

Hope this is helpful.

#46159 - 04/08/03 07:26 PM Re: 5 second sound drop-out after layer change in DTS-ES...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin C Brown:
Gonk- But do you see it across a layer change?

OK, layer change on disc one of Fellowship of the Ring at 47:15:

Dolby Digital EX: No signal re-acquisition, only brief player hesitation (about 0.5 second).

DTS-ES: Digital audio signal lost and re-acquired (along with accompanying 2 second delay at 950 to identify the signal format).

------------------

#46160 - 04/08/03 09:07 PM Re: 5 second sound drop-out after layer change in DTS-ES...
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
On my 2nd 950 paired with the Pioneer player. ( 950 with the Panny is in use at the moment ..I can’t interupt).
Found layer change on ‘Gladiator, Sig. Selection” DTS-ES

I found it on my counter to be at 76:28 or 1:16:28 depending on your counter type. Chapt 14 (XIV)
I have a ˝ sec to 1-sec freeze on video, audio reacquires before the video rolls again (under 1/2 sec?).

Less productive was my check of LOTR –Theatrical Version (2-disc) (gonks is 4-disc I believe).
Disc One: DD-EX. 93:25 or 1:33:25 This one lands at the changeover from Chapt 23 to 24. There was no loss of audio signal noted. Bare under 1-sec freeze on video at end of Chapt 23.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 116 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts