Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#4609 - 08/16/04 04:30 PM No sub signal
AlaskanGuy Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Spring, TX, USA
Hi, all:
I've been a happy owner of the 1050 (in spite of a faulty remote that I never got around to having replaced) for the past 2 1/2 years.
I just added a powered subwoofer to my system, and was geting ready to calibrate it when I discovered that my receiver isn't sending out a test signal to the sub. I am using an RCA cable to the sub, and speaker wires directly to the other speakers.
I suppose the 1050 is out of warranty, so any suggestions from Outlaws and the rest of you out there would be appreciated.
Thanks.

#4610 - 08/16/04 04:36 PM Re: No sub signal
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
I've had my 1050 for over 2 years now (Wow!) and I've never used the subwoofer test tone. Gonk, or somebody else, may correct me on this, but I don't believe the subwoofer test tone ever operated properly. When I'm calibrating, I use a good cd and my ears.

Hope that helps...

#4611 - 08/17/04 01:58 PM Re: No sub signal
kugumby Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: St. Louis, MO USA
The tone is there, but it's awfully quiet. I used my Avia DVD to do the calibration instead of the test tones from the receiver.

Is the sub producing sound under normal playback? If it isn't, verify that your speakers are set to small and then see if you can hear anything. (I don't think this should matter for the test tones, but it would during normal playback.)

#4612 - 08/17/04 02:27 PM Re: No sub signal
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I never had a sub hooked up to my 1050, but I do remember something about the sub test tone being pretty low. AVIA, Video Essentials, or even the THX OptiMode calibration tools included on a lot of THX certified DVD's could provide an alternative. As kugumby points it, it is worthwhile to review all of your speaker settings: sub set to "on" (since it was presumably off before), all of the speakers set to "small", and the crossover point someplace reasonable.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#4613 - 08/19/04 02:03 PM Re: No sub signal
AlaskanGuy Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Spring, TX, USA
Thanks for the information. Actually, I realized it was the problem of the bass management being disabled if using the 5.1 analog inputs.
This is quite frustrating. I suppose I will have to use the universal player's bass management to get the bass going to the subwoofer.

#4614 - 08/19/04 02:18 PM Re: No sub signal
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Ah, I see, and I understand your frustration. The 1050 behaves the same as the majority of receivers on the market as far as bass management on the 5.1 analog input is concerned: it is a pure analog pass-through, with no processing applied (a few receivers and pre/pros offer the option of A/D conversion at the 5.1 analog input or an analog crossover circuit, but both are rare and were nonexistent when the 1050 was designed). This is done to preserve the sound quality of such high-resolution analog sources, but it also makes it impossible for the receivers to apply their digital bass management to the signal. It is a source of significant consternation - had the recording industry allowed digital output from DVD-Audio and SACD players from the beginning, then the receivers could use their digital bass management for those sources just as they do for any other digital source. Earlier DVD-A and SACD players offered limited (or no) bass management, which is why Outlaw developed the ICBM-1 about three years ago (and why they added a simple 80Hz analog bass management crossover to the Model 950's 5.1 analog input). As your universal player does provide bass management, you are fortunate enough to have the option, but I agree that it's frustrating.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

Who's Online
0 registered (), 73 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts