Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#46128 - 04/02/03 08:00 PM How Easy?
Dane Offline
Gunslinger

I'm about ready to take the plunge and get an 950 with an amp (still trying to decide if I need 100W or 200W per channel). Here is the big question... How "wife easy" is the 950 to operate?

#46129 - 04/02/03 08:07 PM Re: How Easy?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
My wife is too stupid to operate mine

#46130 - 04/02/03 08:21 PM Re: How Easy?
Garrett Adams Offline
Gunslinger

I recently bought the 950/7100 combo. My HT area is around 3600 sq. ft. and 100 watts works for me. I live alone and play it loud!

#46131 - 04/02/03 09:53 PM Re: How Easy?
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Hi Soundhound what cha up to tonight (besides flicking your pen)?

You don’t happen to have your wifes e-mail handy do you? I wanted to send her a copy of a of a of a recipe!

turn over the pen (thats cool)or I rat you out

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited April 02, 2003).]

#46132 - 04/02/03 11:05 PM Re: How Easy?
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
Quote:
Originally posted by soundhound:
My wife is too stupid to operate mine

sll...cut him some slack...that's the FUNNIEST line i've ever read in this forum!!

#46133 - 04/02/03 11:09 PM Re: How Easy?
morphsci Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charleston, IL, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Garrett Adams:
.... My HT area is around 3600 sq. ft. and 100 watts works for me....

Wow! That's almost twice as big as my whole house!

#46134 - 04/02/03 11:45 PM Re: How Easy?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
My sister in law has struggled a time or two, but she also has never been given any instructions and has only used it a few times so that should come as no surprise. My wife generally uses the system for TV watching and a little DVD watching. I created two macros for her -- a "power on" macro that turns on the cable box, 950, and TV, and a "power off" macro that shuts them all off. For DVD playback, I did end up mapping the transport controls to the round buttons at the bottom of the remote and marked on the buttons with a sharpie to identify pause, stop, play, FF, and rewind (for my sake as well as hers). While she would certainly need my help to get the second zone turned on (a wireless speaker that we have for music while working in the yard) and she doesn't know what I've got set up in the way of macros for DVD-Audio playback, she can do everything she wants to do with it. It's actually a bit easier than the 1050 was.

Quote:
Wow! That's almost twice as big as my whole house!

And over three times as big as my house. One would hope he meant cubic feet...

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#46135 - 04/03/03 06:25 AM Re: How Easy?
Dane Offline
Gunslinger

It sounds like my wife will not have many problems learning the 950.

Back when I was dating my crappy old set-up was a C Band satellite system that I ran through my VCR to get stereo which was fed to my receiver. The satellite decoder was in another room and had an RF remote. When a girlfriend seemed promising I would leave the five remotes out on the coffee table and go to work. When I finally found a woman that did not complain that "my TV's too complex"... I married her. Heck, she's even pretty good at programming the VCR.

#46136 - 04/03/03 09:42 AM Re: How Easy?
Unferth Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Homewood, AL, US
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
For DVD playback, I did end up mapping the transport controls to the round buttons at the bottom of the remote and marked on the buttons with a sharpie to identify pause, stop, play, FF, and rewind (for my sake as well as hers).
[/B]

HA! I did the same thing.. for TiVo and the dvd player... .. my sharpie marks for rewind are wearing off though (from tivo use) so I think I'll find something more permanent...

My wife is having trouble using our new setup (different inputs on TV for dvd and everything else).. I've got to create some macros this weekend or she'll start throwing stuff out the window.....

I think macros are the only thing that can help any complicated HT setup to gain spousal approval...

#46137 - 04/03/03 12:09 PM Re: How Easy?
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
sll...cut him some slack...that's the FUNNIEST line i've ever read in this forum!!

I thought it was funny too. But you should never bypass an opportunity to acquire an Outlaw Pen when it arises.

Dane, I’m sorry - late night fatuousness, But I’m not the best candidate to answer that question. As its hard to extrapolate “what was my former self”.

My husband can work it! And all the teenage males that come and go. (some less ably than others).
I do know that I’ve never met a Remote I liked till I had time to accustom myself to each's idiosyncrasies. If she programmed a VHS I’m sure she’ll be fine. Just tell her what my husband tells me when I first acquire a new remote and he hears my usual comments. “It will be logical, just as soon as you figure out ITS logic.

#46138 - 04/03/03 02:27 PM Re: How Easy?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
It will be logical, just as soon as you figure out ITS logic.

Now that is very true... Figuring out how to use a new remote (or any other piece of electronics, or computer software, or...) does tend to end up being a game of "learn the device's logic." With a universal remote like the 950's, there's also a little bit of experimenting to find personal settings that suit you -- macros, learning other remotes' functions to your preferred places, ... -- which can help impose a little of your own logic on it in some cases.

If your wife married you in spite of your coffee table's "plague of remotes" and she can program a typical VCR, she shouldn't have a problem operating the 950.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#46139 - 04/03/03 07:48 PM Re: How Easy?
Dane Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks for all the input. I ordered the 950/770 combination today.

#46140 - 04/03/03 07:58 PM Re: How Easy?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by Dane:
Thanks for all the input. I ordered the 950/770 combination today.

I hope your wife's smarter than mine...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 145 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts