Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#46103 - 04/02/03 12:00 AM How do you have you center channel setup
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
I am not sure how to ask this question, so I think I will just describe my system and see if anyone has any suggestions.

I use my direct view tv like a monitor. I have a video and audio signal coming from the 950 right to the tv. The 950 controls everything and everything is feed through it. For right now, the tv is the center channel and I must use the VCR tuner as the tv is an older model. I have the DC triger from the 950 controlling a Panamax 5300 which can startup all of the external amps of a 5.1 configuration.

Most of the time I just use the TV as a TV without any external speakers. When I want to watch a movie I will then turn on all of the other equipment; DVD Player and amplifers.

The problem is that none of those other devices have a dc trigger. I have to manually turn off the dc trigger part of the Panamax and use the "always on" circuts for regualer tv viewing and then hit the button to turn on external amps. If I didn't do this then anytime the 950 was turned on, all of the amps would turn on even if I didn't want to use them.

How are you handeling this situation? Do you have any suggestions on how I can configure this system better?

I have a seperate center channel speaker on order and will probably connect it to a Model 200. When watching regular tv without the SS going do you use the center channel output of the 950 to a CC speaker or do you use the internal speakers of the tv. I don't have a modern RPTV yet so I don't know if it is easy to switch between the two. Do you lose anything by using only the center channel like this?

I guess the question is: How do you setup your system so that you can easily switch between casual non-ss tv viewing and full HT DTS viewing?

------------------
MeanGene's Home

[This message has been edited by MeanGene (edited April 02, 2003).]

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#46104 - 04/02/03 11:16 AM Re: How do you have you center channel setup
grundrc Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Montgomery, TX
In looking at your link, it appears you are using an MX-500 remote. If so, program two macros with two different buttons on the bottom:
1. Will just turn on your TV, operate the channels, volume and anything else you program into it. Pushing it again will turn the TV off. (The 950 should never come on.)

2. Will turn on the TV and everything else.
When you have programmed this macro and have everything on, you will push the macro button to turn everything off except the 950. (For some reason, it will not turn off the 950) You will need to program one of the buttons at the top to turn the 950 off seperately. So, what you will have is one button that turns everything on, but have a two step process to turn everything off.

Someone may respond to this thread who has more experience programming the MX-500 than I do and can get the two power buttons at the top to do a macro. I couldn't. But, what I described works pretty well.

Hope this is helpful.

Ron

#46105 - 04/02/03 12:44 PM Re: How do you have you center channel setup
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
What I’ve done, and my display has more inputs/outputs than my last one.
Is use the TV speakers for casual or late night (avoiding the sub and all the resonance of the SS system for late night viewing when I’m trying to keep it down).
I have an STB and for the audio side I use digital out, which is cabled to the 950 for SS audio. I also have the L/R analogue outputs of the STB straight into the back of the display for news watching etc. On the video side I go straight from my STB into the display. (am not running an OTA right now and when I bring that on line for HD OTA, I think I have the luxury of another coaxial ant. input on the display.)
I either turn on the TV. Or conversely fire up the 950, which fires up the amps etc.

Eke, wrapping my brain around cabling It’s hard enough with my own and I can’t sort it unless I’m sitting behind it starring right at it at the moment

You say your using the TV as a monitor, so you have the VHS tuning, you have coaxial antenna into the VHS through the 950 back into TV? So since the VHS is tuning through the 950 the 950 HAS to be on to pass the signal? I hate splitters, but seems and I’m trying to think if its possible you need to somehow split the antenna (with a switcher, something like A/B side for cable) so that the antenna feed can run through the VHS/950 confidg and also - straight into the TV avoiding the 950 entirely with a remote programmed to control the TV tuner. . Is that possible guys? Depend on the inputs on the back of your TV and VHS or I would think it would take two splitters and that could degrade things alot. Although with this method you would still end with having to flip the A/B side of the antenna switch. The only benefit not having to flip the switch on the back of the Panamax.
When watching regular TV without the SS going do you use the center channel output of the 950 to a CC speaker No,…..for that kind of regular viewing I do not go through the 950 just so that I can access my center Maestro for casual TV watching. I go ahead and make use of the display speakers. It helps that the new LCD came with (6) built-ins and is the best audio I’ve ever heard out of display in-cabinet speakers. But with my aging last Direct View JVC, I still used the speakers in the display for that audio, - did not cable to access my Center speaker for TV viewing only.

#46106 - 04/04/03 12:08 AM Re: How do you have you center channel setup
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Thanks for the information.

Here's another

What do you think about the Sony LCD RPTV 60"

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#46107 - 04/04/03 12:58 PM Re: How do you have you center channel setup
Desperado

I’ll couch it in general terms. Very Happy. It’s not perfect, none of them are and each have issues.
If I was to consider a purchase today, I would again run a quick sweep of what’s coming (est. how long) etc. Checking my current knowledge against the latest information about where HDCP inputs, IEEE-1394 digital connections stand in the near/long term.

I just bought another GWII last month. I was curious as to how I would feel about the LCD when considering it again against all current floor models in the showrooms. My first GWI purchase was a year ago June when DLP was in its earliest initial release to floors that month. I had not had time to properly compare the two technologies. This last purchase was for my mother, who understands nothing about connectivity. HD etc. Took her out to UE. Told her anything in the store but THIS row. (8K+ plasmas).
And whatever she chose I would try to layperson explain the drawbacks and pluses of each technology she might think she preferred. She hardly gave DLP a look, and I must say after watching it in the showrooms and some mild scanning of owners the forums, I am still happy with the choice of the LCD over DLP at this time. She found several large screens she was interested in. Then I showed her the viewing angle effect. Taught her to walk side to side on each model and the differences between each technology. This quickly narrowed the gap for her, she narrowed to a CRT Pioneer elite or the Sony LCD. Disregarding the DLP in her final round. Finally going for the Sony. I explained to her the differences coming on the next generation GWIII. The 60” and 50” will launch 1K less than the GWII. The memory stick slot receives an upgrade. An additional DVI connection.. She opted not to wait and loves hers.

I’m not entirely happy with PQ, but still feel when factoring ‘tradeoff’s as a non FP choice its one of the best available. Have not seen the Toshiba 57HLX82 LCoS in person yet to compare, (the other unit I was currently interested in). But as Sony has vamped up its LCD production and dropped prices after almost 4 years on market the LcoS 8K sticker no longer equates to GW’s placing these two in entirely different budget categories than when the GWI launched at 8K. And near as I can tell from the forums, the LcoS has a few issues itself. “Keystoneing in corners” etc. We all trade off ‘issues’ for the final big picture of our sound, or video.

The LCD is a very good tradeoff of limits of its technology, black level complaints, etc. for the in totality overall viewing experience of usage on a day to day basis. It’s a winner in my book.

Plus:
Lack of burnin concerns.
Pic back to original brightness and factory specs with bulb replacement (bulbs est. to cost 200. Have not had to purchase one yet).
I class the stretch modes as very good on this unit when not locked into full on progressive feeds.
Although DLP (I believe) specs show a hair wider viewing angle I do not find it any better than the Sony when you walk them in person. Actually usably less. So best viewing angle offered other than plasma.
Best unit for light control issues in viewing area.
I spot more pixelaztion effects on DLP currently than the GW LCD.
Light weight 128 pds. Depth about 21” at deepest.
Dropping prices.
Audio is excellent for a display. Best I’ve heard on the built-ins to date. Especially after switching out the cheap connects for the Outlaw PCA’s which truly made a difference.
16.9: ….4.3 looks positively archaic to me now.

With the prices of the III coming on down, and without taking a hard look (yet) at anything scheduled to come online at the same time as the III releases. I’d list it …as worth a good long look and should be on anyone’s short list. A month ago there was nothing on the floor I would have purchased over the GWII.

So far we have 3 now. GWI 1 yr. in June moved to In-Laws.
GWII, almost 4 months here.
GWII one month. At Moms. No major issues, the parents are utterly ecstatic over theirs. Every lay person who comes through our respective homes think its a plasma.
Mine, I want to tweak in SM. And have been too busy. Plus keep chickening out in a GO/NO GO on whether I want to risk voiding warranty on the unit.

sorry hunk of workload today, not editing this down like I should.

#46108 - 04/05/03 01:08 AM Re: How do you have you center channel setup
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Don't worry about editing, I get the gist. As you have seen by my MeanGene HT pics, anything would be better then what I have now. I am not sure if I got this right, but there is a GW3 around now? How much is it and where can I get more info on this LCD RPTV? Another question, is a LCD RPTV less affected by unshielded speakers. My ESS Rock Monitors use the Heil AMT tweeters and the shielding was pre 1980's. Don't get me wrong these speakers will rock your socks off, but they didn't think about shielding back then. Wanted to know how the Sony LCD handled this, better than CRT?

------------------
MeanGene's Home

[This message has been edited by MeanGene (edited April 05, 2003).]

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#46109 - 04/05/03 01:45 PM Re: How do you have you center channel setup
Desperado

Hi MeanGene,

Last I looked the III was to come out Fall of 03, BUT, there was the usual speculation and flack on the forums that Sony was notorious for giving a launch and not sticking to it. (don't they all do it more often than not). Those watching for it extrapolated that this unit might not actually hit the floors for purchase till Feb 04. But it will launch 1K less respectively for the 50” 60” than this year’s model. Gives you time to ‘save up’. The 50” always have to be ordered, - never in-store stock normally. And the 60” are still often in a 1 to 2 week awaiting next batch from main warehouses to ship in to local retailers. Or at least that was the situation recently. So I don’t know if it would help bargain wise to try and wait for 2’s going on sale when 3 launches. I would think this would be hit or miss around the country.

As regards the shielding. I had to ask Gonk when I switched to my floorstanders about this, and we were wondering out loud. I believe I finally confirmed that the LCD does not have the shielding problems of a CRT. If they have any shielding at all I’m sure they will be fine. But I will double-check this.

If you get serious about purchase let me know I will help you with some quick deep searching. I was an idiot and Pd full retail at a boutique full service home audio store on my first GWI. But I also had a big push going to have it delivered ON my husbands BD. And no one else could guarantee that day. Then I learned you can wheel and deal. (I always thought the price - was the price at B&M on electronics). For the 2nd GW I’ve paid less and for the 3rd even less (than going market) with some footwork. It was not a repeat customer discount. I purchased all 3 from different vendors.
See if you follow this: The last one. UE had it for retail 60” 4.999.99. Currently on sale store promo: for 4,499.00, but I still was not happy with that figure. I had them down another 150 but only if I purchased the 5-yr add-on warranty for 599. At same time. I meantime found two receipts posted on web by GW buyers, for CC one in CO, one up north. For the 60” at 3,999.00. (I’m in Dallas Ft Worth area). Went to Circuit and showed the CC receipts for 3,999.00 they price matched with an additional 10%. Guarantee a purchase on the 60” at 3,899.99 for a sole purchase without buying any other item on same ticket. . Mom wanted the warranty she was scared of repair bills a couple years out with new tech. So I got her that for 519.99 plus she needed the Sony Stand for 699.00. He said NO at first but I got him down a 100 on the stand. So: 519.99 for 5-yr. warranty. + 499.99 for stand. + 3899.99 for the 60”. Total w tax: 5325.88 Delivery at 1penny. When I did that deal, it was one of the lowest prices anyone acquired at that time around the states., (re the forum information). And I bet it’s gone even lower.

So at UE, I would have Pd 5300 for display and warranty. At Circuit City, I could have bought just the Display for 3899 + tax. But ended up for about the same 5300 with stand, warranty, and TV. (Basically getting the stand thrown in for free for the same amount UE would have charged.

So, these deals can be done VERY shortly after each new year’s model launches. SO when the 60” III launches at 3999.00 and the 50” at 2999.00 next year. You should be able to do better than that fairly quickly. If I don’t have my 1K’s mixed up at the moment. I believe that’s upcoming suggested retail. (I mix them up since the 60” II was not that long ago sugg. Retail of 5999.) And when I first started 1 ˝ ago the 60 had just dropped from 8K to 6K. (They keep coming down….isnt it GREAT).

Let me know if you do go to purchase. I’ll dig what resources I can for you.

Sorry did not edit again today. Have a son running 104 temp!.

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited April 05, 2003).]

#46110 - 04/05/03 02:11 PM Re: How do you have you center channel setup
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

I need to get a new roof on my house, so I will have to wait a little longer for the RPTV. Being that I may be waiting until next year I would like to know more about the GW3. Where can I get more info? Is is just like the GW2 for 1G less or are there other changes? I am not sure of some things you noted: UE, CO, ? I know the others, not sure what stores these are. Right now I am in reasearch mode, also due to the high Sony price, I may be looking for alternatives to their stand. Although the Sony stand looks like the perfect place to put the center channel speaker.

2002 Model KF-60XBR800
2003 Model KF-60WE610
http://64.35.93.160/pressrelease/3365
or should I wait for
Silicon Crystal [X-tal] Reflective Display (SXRD), a new display technology that delivers full high-definition resolution (1920 x 1080) on a display panel.
http://64.35.93.160/pressrelease/3423

[This message has been edited by MeanGene (edited April 05, 2003).]

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#46111 - 04/05/03 05:36 PM Re: How do you have you center channel setup
Desperado

GW2 for 1G less or are there other changes? I am not sure of some things you noted: UE, CO,

Yes basically, MOST stat.s given as "NEW THIS" etc. are already features the II incorporates (and most the GWI also had). Very few were NEW on the II, But Sony just likes that label. the stats are the same although Sony likes to announce Pixel count CineMotion™ reverse 3:2 pulldown MID™-X Optical Engine as still NEW or INCLUDING (as if its added feature…it is not) . Last I checked there are no performance changes included that should affect viewing Quality from the II. Notice the press release states 25% higher contrast than the FIRST generation? So did the II. I thought I saw the III would have 2 DVI instead of the II’s one. And the memory stick will be capable of moving pics, Vs the stills. That’s it.
And to be honest I felt the 25% contrast boost (the change listed for the II over the I) lost something in resolution detail in Dark scenes, however they choose to‘boost’ that spec on the II. They should have left it alone, My GWI had better definition in dark portions.

I honestly don’t know if Sony cheaped up some parts on the II critical to performance whilst simply adding bells and whistles. The memory stick on the II was missing on GWI etc. Or if the Hugh price drops since GWI launched is a factor of market pressure and the fact Sony had production #’s in play which allowed a large CPU decrease in manufacturing, and had finally recouped R&D. I do not expect the III to perform better than the II model. And (hopefully) no less ably.

I saw the release on SXRD, last time I looked into the early research (a ways back)…they still had issues to iron out. Hopefully Sony has done their ironing if they are ready to launch in near future. With all this new tech, -you never know till sets are on the floor and in consumers hands, if the glowing #’s come with far too many tradeoffs in real viewing irritations. This will replace their flagship GW, so hopefully good things are in store. If they launch it at early GW prices expect 8K on one of the larger units. But we will see. Looks like its time to start digging on the web, for info on this topic again.

If you get past the roof….and timings right ….maybe it will be time for me to put my GWII on the used market.

The UE is Ultimate Electronics, a large electronics retailer simalar to Circuit City etc. CO was for Colorado.
The only reason for noting that the two receipts I printed off were from other states was due to my expectation that CC might balk stating, other state based receipts copies, - do not apply to the Texas regionional retail rates. I was ready for the battle, but not a peep on that topic out of them.. CC's current price for the unit the day I purchased was 4999.99. So I thought getting them down to 3999. was going to be more of a chore, it went rather well.

Go to AVSforum, to HD DISPLAYS Rear Proj, for lots of post purchase input and tea room rumor mills on the slightest details and hints of upcoming features and models.

Your viewing area looks about like mine. If you remove the entire wall- unit around your display, that’s a rough out of the area needed. The depth is wonderful!!!! When I replaced an antique armoire holding a 27” display for the 60” Sony, I literally GAINED floorspace and everyone agreed that the room looked less cramped, - since it seated so much farther back, but did trade out incidental storage, since the 950/770 Panamax etc all are located in the stand we built for the display.
We built our own stand since my husband wanted mitered triangled base, (this 60" corners GREAT). and many find the Sony stands (about 3 choices) UGLY. (and pricey). I will say when I finally did have to purchase a Sony stand made for this unit since my mother choose it for hers. As regards my opinion that almost all AV furniture on the market today is cheap-built and cheap looking. I was shocked and pleasantly surprised at the Sony’s stand substance and weight. My sister and I carried the box in and assembled and I think it weighed over 200 pds!. It was well engineered for assembly and has a Safety system to latch the LCD to the stand. (NEEDED at my Moms where little ones are running past the corner where her display lives. This LCD is top heavy). (Where WOULD you put all those CD’s DVD’s??? I see in your room?) I can tell you even though our room is laughably small, I am content that we went with the 60” over the 50, and would do it again (and again).
Although during the first weeks, pre first cup of coffee trying to watch the morning news was overwhelming. We were peeking through held up hands going MY GOSH look at the size of that reporters FACE. Now I feel I need binoculars for most other peoples living rooms once used to this effect.

My mother had a very hard time going for the 60”, One) I think she worried it cost me too much. Two) going from a 27” even though her Liv is hugh, she thought would overwhelm her. Once we stood in stores for 2 days straight going over everything for hours, I could see SIZE gained ground for her. I knew she secretly wished to try it, so I pushed for her to at least demo the 60 incher. Even though the room is large the corner where her seating is arranged towards did have width restrictions. I told her if if didn’t work we would return and wait for the 50” order.

The first day I got her up and running she was thrilled she choose the 60” (and it fit! - for such a screen it’s a very good shoe-horner).

Honestly I can’t count the numbers who have requested to ‘come over’ to watch a DVD at all our homes. In fact my Mom left this AM for a trip, and had no trouble getting a house sitter, who wants to sit in front of the Sony all week. It’s a very satisfying unit, Do I want better, heck yes, and I want all of us to be watching 1080P on EVERY feed. My fantasy world, - in the next few years.

But “PIG, it will do”.

grrrrr. sorry outlaw do I owe you a check for bandwith?

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited April 05, 2003).]

#46112 - 04/06/03 01:48 PM Re: How do you have you center channel setup
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by Smart Little Lena:

I honestly don’t know if Sony cheaped up some parts on the II critical to performance whilst simply adding bells and whistles.

If they didn't change anything why the new model number?

Quote:
This will replace their flagship GW, so hopefully good things are in store. If they launch it at early GW prices expect 8K on one of the larger units. But we will see. Looks like its time to start digging on the web, for info on this topic again.

To rich for my blood.

Quote:
If you get past the roof….and timings right ….maybe it will be time for me to put my GWII on the used market.

You can drop it off at my house, I am just a hop - skip - and jump in S. Cal.

Quote:
I was shocked and pleasantly surprised at the Sony’s stand substance and weight. My sister and I carried the box in and assembled and I think it weighed over 200 pds!. It was well engineered for assembly and has a Safety system to latch the LCD to the stand.

At MeanGene's Home you will notice my component rack is also a Sony and I agree on the quality of construction and weight. I have been very happy with it execpt that I am running out of room it's only 5' tall?

Also, I like the locking mechanism especially here in Earth Quake country.

Quote:
(Where WOULD you put all those CD’s DVD’s??? I see in your room?)

Easy, Sony DVP-875P Demo

I have the newer model than there demo, though. I have all of the keep-cases out in the garage in a plastic tub, then I use DVD Profiler to print a catolog of selections.

Quote:

The first day I got her up and running she was thrilled she choose the 60” (and it fit! - for such a screen it’s a very good shoe-horner).

When I buy it will be 60" or bigger, I am firm on that part, anyway.

Thanks for your time.

Check out some pics of a Plasma Display
http://www.pbase.com/chunkofunk/quick_tour_gallery

[This message has been edited by MeanGene (edited April 13, 2003).]

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 149 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts