Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#46063 - 04/02/03 04:09 PM Re: New 950 questions?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I'm not remembering the full process for bass routing at the moment, but with the mains set to large is it possible that the low frequency from the center being passed to them? I know that the mains get all LFE when they are large and the sub is off.

You could try leaving the mains small and unhooking their pre-amp cables to see if the center's bass goes to the sub, I suppose...

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#46064 - 04/02/03 06:35 PM Re: New 950 questions?
srfdude Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oceanside, CA
I just talked to Scott, he thinks the setting of the mains to large sends center bass there. Sort of strange, wonder why? At any rate I am trying how to figure how to check that; what sort of a mono signal/which settings will send a signal to the center channel? Simply setting the mains to small sends that bass to the sub; I'm not sure that pulling the pre outs for the mains will do anything.
Mike

#46065 - 04/03/03 01:19 AM Re: New 950 questions?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Hmm. The Chesky disc has a set of low freq only signals that rotate through the mains. When the low freq info *hits* a particular channel, there is a high freq beep through that channel. The idea is this: with all speakers small, the low freq content to the sub doesn't change, but where the "beeps" are does, so that you can make sure that the BM is working properly. I reckon that if I set all small, except mains to large, I should still get the beep in the center but the sub should fade away. I'll try this Thurs PM unless someone gets to it 1st...

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#46066 - 04/03/03 01:25 AM Re: New 950 questions?
srfdude Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oceanside, CA
Thanks, KCB. I ordered that Chesky DVD; they will be shipping it on the 7th.

#46067 - 04/03/03 04:39 PM Re: New 950 questions?
Scott Offline
Desperado

Hello All,

When the center channel is set to "small", and the front speakers are set to "large", the bass from the center channel is redirected to the front speakers. Only if the front speakers are set to "small" will the bass from the center channel be redirected to the sub woofer. This is done because of the high level of dialog that occurs in the center channel. When feasible, "vocal bass" should be kept as close to the center channel as possible. This dramatically minimizes the possibility of hearing disembodied voice when you have a small center channels set at a high cross-over frequencies. This becomes most evident if you do have "large" left/rights where full octaves of voice are easily reproduced. A left to center to right speaker pan might inadvertently throw the lower registers of the voice to an obscure corner of the room. Conversely, if the L/C/R are set to "small", the effects are not as noticeable because of relative frequency consistency across the front.

Best,

Scott

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 102 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts