Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#45993 - 03/29/03 05:08 PM DTS-ES Update Instructions
admin Offline

Gunslinger

Fellow Outlaws:

We are pleased to let you know that everything is now in place to enable you to correct any Model 950 unit that exhibits the "No LFE output on DTS-ES" bug. Please follow this link for further instructions.

#45994 - 03/29/03 05:32 PM Re: DTS-ES Update Instructions
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
I'll ask just because...

What's stopping me from doing #1 myself? I've changed memory in PCs before, swapped hard drives, added cards, even upgraded a motherboard in an old Mac once.

??

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#45995 - 03/29/03 06:18 PM Re: DTS-ES Update Instructions
Keta Offline
Desperado

Loc: Central VA
It reads to me that you can change it yourself since they will send the parts to you but you wouldn't have a receipt to collect the $48.

#45996 - 03/29/03 07:06 PM Re: DTS-ES Update Instructions
GMAN Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Seattle,WA,USA
"In the event that these items are not returned to us, whether or not a service charge receipt is enclosed, the unit will not be covered under the Outlaw Five Year Warranty".

I think that this statement from the instructions is saying in a not so direct way, that you can change it yourself, just make sure you return the parts.

BNSF Railway Engineers Do It All Day And Night!

2 CHANNEL: McIntosh MX119,(2)MC402,,Oppo BDP83,AppleTV,Vienna Beethovens,(2)Outlaw LFM-1Plus Subs,Panasonic 50"Plasma,PS Audio Power Plant Premiere,WireWorld Silver Electra Power Cords
HOME THEATER: Pioneer Elite 7.1 Rcvr,McIntosh MC58, Panasonic Bluray,Ipod,Infocus Proj,Vienna Mozarts,Outlaw LRC,Boston Surrounds,Outlaw LFM-1EX Sub

#45997 - 03/29/03 08:13 PM Re: DTS-ES Update Instructions
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
Quote:

Although we do not have specific "Outlaw Authorized" shops, any service depot that is franchised to handle one of the major audio, video or computer brands should be able to perform the update. You will need to select the shop, and we will send you a complete kit containing the replacement chip, the tool needed to pull the chip out, and detailed instructions. Based on our research, the update should take less than 15 minutes, so if you make an appointment with them in advance, it should be easy to have the swap done while you wait.

We will reimburse you for the cost of the bench repair up to a maximum of $48.

Sounds good! For the many of us who want it done by a service depot (as Outlaw recommends, one that's franchised to handle one of the major audio, video or computer brands), it might be beneficial to start listing shops that do this for $48. Anyone know of one in West LA?

#45998 - 03/29/03 08:16 PM Re: DTS-ES Update Instructions
JkFruit Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Orange, CA
Quote:
we are comfortable in having you use the services a local audio/video or computer repair shop. Although we do not have specific "Outlaw Authorized" shops, any service depot that is franchised to handle one of the major audio, video or computer brands should be able to perform the update

Seems to me that the statement is general enough that if you are capable of doing computer upgrade, do the EPROM yourself, generate an invoice for $48 and Outlaw will reimburse you the amount .

I am just a little bit disappointed that Outlaw would not swap out the units that are recently purchased (still within 30 days return guarantee such as mine) .

#45999 - 03/30/03 12:02 AM Re: DTS-ES Update Instructions
TCIII Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Torrance, CA, USA
Hi all,
If you cannot find a major service center in the greater Los Angeles area willing to do the replacement, I will be glad to perform the replacement for free. I live in Torrance near the 405 freeway in the South Bay. I have a static free workstation and grounding strap to ensure an ESD free process. I am a senior electrical systems engineer with Raytheon and have built many control systems involving ESD sensitive components and have yet to have a failure. I have equipment to remove and install both dual inline and PLCC EPROMS. Please feel free to contact me if I can help.
Regards,
TCIII

[This message has been edited by TCIII (edited March 30, 2003).]

#46000 - 03/30/03 12:13 AM Re: DTS-ES Update Instructions
zakman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: East Bernard, TX USA
Question about option #1...Can I do it? I work on electronics and computer systems for a living right now and am more than competant with Eproms (changing and programming)!

Just throwning this "option #3" out for the other engineers that are competant with this kind of thing and wanted to get some input from Scott or the other Outlaws!

#46001 - 03/30/03 09:09 AM Re: DTS-ES Update Instructions
boblinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles
I suspect the invoice is going to have to be from a legitimate shop. I doubt that Outlaw is going to reimburse owners who want to do the upgrade themselves.

Quote:
We are providing you a postage paid envelope to return of these parts.

Hmm. Once again the Outlaws are assuming the costs for the fix including all postage and shipping. Pretty cool.

[This message has been edited by boblinds (edited March 30, 2003).]

#46002 - 03/30/03 02:35 PM Re: DTS-ES Update Instructions
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
moved to general topic DTS-ES thread.

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited March 30, 2003).]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 77 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Helson 1
patm1198 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts