Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#45958 - 03/28/03 12:56 PM NOVICE NEEDS HELP
cappy24 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: farmingville new york
if someone out there would be kind enough to guide me i would be ever so grateful..i have everything brand new waiting to be hooked up, except for my av receiver which is a yamaha rx-v2092, which is what i'm looking to upgrade
...my other components are
nht 205I towers for main
nht audio center-1
psb m6x6.1 rear speakers
sony hd200 decoder
nht subwoofer sw10
toshiba sd-9200 dvd player
pioneer sd-582hd5 tv
my question is ...which outlaw components would be compatable for what i have, and should i hire someone to make all of this work...also..did i make a mistake buying something i should not have...sorry..as you can see i am a novice, so please be patient...thanks

#45959 - 03/28/03 01:37 PM Re: NOVICE NEEDS HELP
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
With the amount of information available online through websites and forums like this one, I don't think that you need to hire someone to get things set up. I'd save the money for other things (equipment, movies, maybe ISF calibration of the Pioneer)...

The things you might want to look at from Outlaw are a replacement for your receiver, some reasonably-priced quality interconnects for the system, and perhaps the ICBM for DVD-Audio bass management (depending on what else you get and what you are doing).
The Outlaw Model 1050 is a good, reasonably priced home theater receiver that offers DTS (which the 2092 lacks) and has internal amps that are probably very comparable to the Yamaha. You may be more interested in moving up to the Model 950 and a separate amp, though (a guess on my part, since the question is being asked in the 950 forum), in which case you may want to go with the Model 755 amp (five channels at 200W per channel) to keep the 950 company -- the Model 950 is a pre-amp/processor with no built-in amplification, so you need a separate amp as well. The NHT's are not extremely efficient, so if you have a large listening room you might the extra power that the 755 offers, although Outlaw does not have a 7 channel 100W/channel amp called the Model 7100. A Model 770 amp would give you extra channels to use for surround back speakers if you ever add them as well as the 200W/channel that the 755 has. If you get the Model 1050 and plan to listen to DVD-Audio much with the Toshiba, you might consider getting an ICBM to provide bass management for DVD-A. IF you get the 950, the included analog bass management would probably be plenty for your needs and an ICBM would not be necessary.

When you get to the point of hooking things up, you'll need cables. You may be able to re-use some cables (since you've got the Yamaha, you probably had it hooked up to something in the past and have some cables around). The crew around here may be able to help with figuring that all out, but these two links might help get you started.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#45960 - 03/28/03 02:11 PM Re: NOVICE NEEDS HELP
cappy24 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

hi gonk...thank you for the input, i really appreciate it...at this stage of the game i am definately going with the 950...i am undecided about either the 755 or 770...my den is 22X20 feet, with normal 8ft. ceilings..i was disappointed with your response regarding the nht2.5's..i thought they were considered good speakers...weren't cheap!! if i were to add two more speakers, which ones would you suggest?? and i guess they would be placed somewhere in the middle of the room??? thanks again

#45961 - 03/28/03 03:40 PM Re: NOVICE NEEDS HELP
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
C24- All he said was that the NHT's aren't that "efficient". That has absolutely nothing to do with sound quality. Just means you might need more power to drive them to acceptable volume levels as compared to *more* efficient speakers. I'd personally put NHT as an "above average" or better speaker manufacturer.

[This message has been edited by Kevin C Brown (edited March 28, 2003).]

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#45962 - 03/28/03 03:52 PM Re: NOVICE NEEDS HELP
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Kevin is exactly correct: there's nothing wrong with NHT speakers, but they are listed as around 86dB or 87dB. The lower the number, the less efficient the speaker. My Paradigm's are around 90dB, but something like the horn speakers used by some folks may have ratings well above 100dB. That's part of why I use a Model 750 (165W per channel) to drive my speakers while Soundhound (for example) uses tube amps with an output of somewhere around 15W -- I forget the exact figure -- to drive his horn speakers.

If you do go add more speakers to achieve a 7.1 system, you would want to have surrounds on the side walls near the listening position (which would most likely be the PSB's you have now) and rear surrounds at the back wall. Many people use the same speakers for surrounds and rear surrounds.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#45963 - 03/28/03 03:58 PM Re: NOVICE NEEDS HELP
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
Soundhound (for example) uses tube amps with an output of somewhere around 15W -- I forget the exact figure -- to drive his horn speakers.

Don't make me out to be a power hog! My amps are FIVE watts. Don't need no stinkin' 15 watts, only 5 good watts

#45964 - 03/28/03 04:21 PM Re: NOVICE NEEDS HELP
cappy24 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

thanks guys...with the package savings, the price difference is not that significant between the 755 and 770...so i guess my mind is made up...i will set up what i have now and add 2 more speakers at a later time..wish i knew this before i gutted the room....maybe for now i will throw a speaker in the back for 6.1....i'm sure i will have many questions when it comes time to set this system up..cappy24

#45965 - 03/28/03 07:12 PM Re: NOVICE NEEDS HELP
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
Quote:
Originally posted by soundhound:
Don't make me out to be a power hog! My amps are FIVE watts. Don't need no stinkin' 15 watts, only 5 good watts

don't listen to soundhound, cappy...he's an old guy and only listens to organ interlude. 5 watts may drive his horns for that, but the transients in most of the music we all listen to are WAY too much for those little tube dinosaurs

#45966 - 03/28/03 07:44 PM Re: NOVICE NEEDS HELP
Philip Hamm Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Northern Virginia, USA
Quote:
don't listen to soundhound, cappy...he's an old guy and only listens to organ interlude. 5 watts may drive his horns for that, but the transients in most of the music we all listen to are WAY too much for those little tube dinosaurs
Ha ha ha ha. I play bass guitar and my "big" amp is a 50 watt Fender Bassman from 1967 (the time of tubes). It's sufficient with my efficient Eden speaker cab. Don't listen to 'em Soundhoud!

cappy your equipment list belies that you are far from a novice! I personally recommend the Outlaw stuff highly based on personal experience, but you should look (and listen) around to open all your options.

------------------
Philip Hamm

#45967 - 03/28/03 11:57 PM Re: NOVICE NEEDS HELP
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
another fellow bass player!

any relation to stu?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 106 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts