Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#45808 - 03/18/03 03:00 PM Phono Preamps for 950-any suggestions?
daddy_guy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Redwood City, Ca USA
I wondered if anyone has suggestions for a good phono pre amp to use with 950. I have kinda narrowed it down to Parasounds phono preamp, Sumiko Pro-ject phono preamp, Music Halls MMF Phono pack, or Creek OBH-8 (don't want to spend a fortune). Have an old Thorens TD 320MKIII turntable, with an Audio Technica( MM) cartridge...nothing super special, but sounds pretty good.....still love my vinyl.....what suggestions for the phono preamp with the best bang for the buck?

#45809 - 03/18/03 03:02 PM Re: Phono Preamps for 950-any suggestions?
charlie Offline
Desperado

#45810 - 03/19/03 07:38 AM Re: Phono Preamps for 950-any suggestions?
morphsci Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charleston, IL, USA
I use the Parasound PPH100 with my old Dual CS721. It works well and the sound is at least equivalent to the phono input of my old Adcom GFP-565, which was very good.

#45811 - 03/19/03 10:34 AM Re: Phono Preamps for 950-any suggestions?
charlie Offline
Desperado

#45812 - 03/19/03 03:37 PM Re: Phono Preamps for 950-any suggestions?
seattleguy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Seattle, WA, USA
You could always look for a used Acurus P-10. You could pick one up pretty cheap and they sound as good as anything else out there. I still use one that I purchased in the early 90s.

#45813 - 09/24/03 09:34 PM Re: Phono Preamps for 950-any suggestions?
old_school Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
I admittedly did not peruse all the various threads here...but one option would be to find a decent phono pre-amp (I'd suggest a DB Systems DB-1A which is one of THE quietest phone sections I've heard) and either take it direct via a spare analog in or a free digital in. You can occasionally find these (DB Systems) on ebay for around $100 to $200. They also make a moving-coil preamp for the phono stage. Again, you could always send it to either a free set of the analog inputs (i.e. take the TAPE OUT signal (which is fixed)) or if you prefer send the TAPE OUT signal to an outboard ADC and take that into a free digital input. Here's one source (for an outboard ADC) and I suspect there are countless others - warning...this is 'inforamtion-only' as I don't know a lot about this ADC...it's just to reinforce the concept:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl...._ID=16156&DID=7

I would guess that the biggest effect on phono sound quality would be in the analog section (noise, RIAA equalization accuracy etc)...so I'd sink the bulk of the investment there (analog preamp) and get a reasonable ADC to digitize the resulting line-level RIAA-equalized phono signal(I know....heresy...but again...assuming you run out of analog inputs and end up having spare S/PDIF or TOSLINK inputs available).

Just my $0.02

#45814 - 09/24/03 10:24 PM Re: Phono Preamps for 950-any suggestions?
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Some time ago I went shopping for a phono pre-amp. Found lots of good stand-alone possibilities. Everything from the inexpensive NAD PP-1 on up. Then I got to thinking: in the glory days of vinyl some companies used to build in some very decent phono sections into their pre-amps. NAD, in my opinion, was one of them. So I turned to that trusty source, eBay, and picked up a used NAD 1130 pre-amp, in terrific condition, for less than the cost of a new PP-1. (~$60 delivered, if memory serves me right.) It has a great phono section that sounds perfect, to my ears, with the 950. Check out the NAD web site for old product lit and manuals, pick out a few possible models, and track one down on eBay. Worked for me.

Jeff Mackwood

#45815 - 09/24/03 11:42 PM Re: Phono Preamps for 950-any suggestions?
old_school Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Indeed...NAD was always a semi-minimalist company focused more on performance than useless fru-fru add-ons (you gotta love that). I've had great luck (still have it) with my NAD 517 CD player...had it for years with nary a glitch...and have heard (very) good things about the NAD 1130 preamp - especially in terms of value.

#45816 - 09/27/03 09:00 PM Re: Phono Preamps for 950-any suggestions?
gb Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Parker, CO
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Mackwood:
Some time ago I went shopping for a phono pre-amp. Found lots of good stand-alone possibilities. Everything from the inexpensive NAD PP-1 on up. Then I got to thinking: in the glory days of vinyl some companies used to build in some very decent phono sections into their pre-amps. NAD, in my opinion, was one of them. So I turned to that trusty source, eBay, and picked up a used NAD 1130 pre-amp, in terrific condition, for less than the cost of a new PP-1. (~$60 delivered, if memory serves me right.) It has a great phono section that sounds perfect, to my ears, with the 950. Check out the NAD web site for old product lit and manuals, pick out a few possible models, and track one down on eBay. Worked for me.

Jeff Mackwood

#45817 - 09/27/03 09:10 PM Re: Phono Preamps for 950-any suggestions?
gb Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Parker, CO
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Mackwood:

Jeff Mackwood

Jeff:

Sorry about the previous post (or lack there of). I have a 950 and 755 w/ 1 M200, and I run my turntable through an NAD PP-1, which works well.

I have an old NAD 4130 Tuner and NAD 1155 Pre-Amp that I once used with an NAD 2200 amp. I now have my old Denon 3801 (replaced by the 950/755/M200) in another room with the 2200 driving my Paradigm Studio Ref. 20's. The Denon 3801 tuner may be the worst tuner know to man. My question is, could I use my NAD tuner through the NAD pre-amp into an input on the Denon or the 950? Will I have any issues?

I appreciate your advice.

Best,

gb

------------------
gb

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
1 registered (pdxkp), 87 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts