Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Options
#45796 - 07/24/03 05:43 PM Re: 6ch anlog input reversed polarity on sub channel
DaleB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Clovis, CA,US
Kevin,
So what you are saying, LFE is digitally encoded (usually bitstream is selected), and would only be sent to the 950 when using the digital output from the DVD player and not analog?
But I don't understand why it would not go through a D/A in the player and directed to analog outputs when either a sub is selected, or other speakers are set to large. It sounds like you are saying it's bypassed when the player is in analog mode.
And is this true for all players with 6 channel analog outputs that support DVD-A an SACD?

#45797 - 07/25/03 12:54 AM Re: 6ch anlog input reversed polarity on sub channel
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Dale- If you have a slab floor, believe me, you will be getting a lot of reflected sound off of the floor.

Yes- I think! I.e., if you have all large and no sub in the player, that will *not* affect the digital feed from the player to the 950. But you are effectively eliminating the LFE portion from the analog output from the player to the 950. Actually, let me ammend this: Players are supposed to redirect the LFE to the mains with all large and no sub, but for whatever reason, neither the Denon or the Pioneer *universal* players do this *for SACD/DVD-A* sources. I actually don't know if this works or not for DD/DTS type sources.

I personally did not check to see if there was any change in the phase relationship after I upgraded my EEPROM. I think Scott said there were no changes, and it does sound like you are testing correctly, but again, I don't know if your results would change if you hooked up the LFE line from the player to the 950.

Some people have said that this may depend on an individual's setup, but try as I might, if you have the sub in phase, and all the distances correct in the 950, everyone's 950 should act the same way.

Here's a thought though. The estimate for the phase difference is 180 deg. I have a variable phase knob on my sub, so I can get my sub in perfect phase with the mains. If you only have a 180 deg phase *switch*, that means that you cannot get perfect phase. So if it's 90 deg out, and then with the 950's crossover difference, it would go to 270 deg out, and you actually wouldn't hear a difference in that case either. The other issue, is that I believe that the Chesky's phase test is not just between the mains and the sub. I believe that it send information to all 5 of the 5.1 channels in addition to the sub. So maybe in your case, even with the phase difference in the 950, you still have a majority of channels in phase in the digital case *and* in the analog case too, so again, no audible difference. Maybe BoB or SH can think about this, because my brain hurts now...

That's why I can always fall back on the discrete test tone CD test that I did. That only tests for phase of a 2.0 signal that is crossed over to the sub. Mains and sub only. I never really worried about the phase of the center and surrounds/rears, because I listen to more 2 ch music.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#45798 - 07/25/03 02:40 AM Re: 6ch anlog input reversed polarity on sub channel
DaleB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Clovis, CA,US
I do have to think on this some more. I will configure the player for all large + sub and connect the sub. I am not sure how to test the presence of LFE. Can this be done audibly?
Yes, a slab floor would be reflective, even though there is carpet, etc. But of course wood flooring will transmit bass more effectively (for better or worse).
Well, overall I am quite pleased with the performance, but want to learn more.
I would also like to experiment with 2 channels, as that is how I enjoy personal or more critical listening of CDs.
If just listening casually, when there's company, etc., I usually leave it in the PLII-M mode.
I sincerely appreciate the comments and suggsstions.

#45799 - 07/25/03 07:50 AM Re: 6ch anlog input reversed polarity on sub channel
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
Isn't bass management wonderful?

KCB: Discrete test tone CD...what exactly does that mean? Do you disconnect the digital jack when switching to analog through the FR/FL of the 6 ch analog inputs (for the test)?

#45800 - 07/25/03 08:23 AM Re: 6ch anlog input reversed polarity on sub channel
DollarBill Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Durham, CT
Using the Avia setup disc, which I believe is in DD, the Denon 2900 does not redirect the LFE to the mains if the mains are set to Large and the sub set to No. I think it's probably the same for DTS sources.

Dale, use the channel identification track you have on the Chesky disc. Keep your setup the way it is and, if the player is redirecting the LFE to the mains, you'll here the guy announce [RADIO COMMERCIAL VOICE]This is the subwoofer channel[/RADIO COMMERCIAL VOICE] through your main speakers. Try it in DVD-A and DVD-V (DD) if your player will allow you to play it both ways.

If it doesn't work, try hooking up your sub to the 950 and turning it on in the player, then set all your speakers to large in the player and let the 950's analog BM take care of the rest. See if you notice, like or dislike the difference.

#45801 - 07/25/03 11:26 PM Re: 6ch anlog input reversed polarity on sub channel
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
BoB- Just a 2 ch CD with different freqs in different tracks. So for example to test phase, I can play an 80 Hz tone with an 80 Hz crossover, then swap the phase (input) on my sub and compare levels. (I use the Autosounds 2001 #101 disc. Has individual tracks for 10, 11, 12, ... 98 Hz.)

I test it either digitally to the 950 via coax (using the 950's digital crossover), or via the 5.1 inputs using the analog crossover. (But it's just a 2.0 signal that gets converted into a 2.1 signal by the 950's crossover.)

So with the digital input, using the positive polarity input on the sub, the sub is in phase with the mains. Then I switch to the analog input, and the positive polarity input goes out of phase, and I have to switch to the negative polarity input to get the sub back in phase with the mains.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#45802 - 08/05/03 05:11 AM Re: 6ch anlog input reversed polarity on sub channel
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
Hello,

My 950 has the same problem as KCB's. The subwoofer's phase seems to invert 180 degrees when switching from 2 channel to multichannel.

Wish the Outlaws would mention if this is a problem with the original 950 design or not. If not, maybe KCB and I am doing something wrong to cause ours to act this way. But if all the original 950's have this problem, was it fixed in later production runs of the 950?

Best,

Will

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Who's Online
0 registered (), 129 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM