Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#45736 - 03/15/03 10:11 PM Re: 6ch anlog input reversed polarity on sub channel
nohjy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lehigh Valley, PA
Can someone please explain this issue in detail. Does this affect everyone who uses the 950 for DVDA or SACD? I have an active sub.

John

#45737 - 03/15/03 11:27 PM Re: 6ch anlog input reversed polarity on sub channel
charlie Offline
Desperado

Quote:
If you're inclined, you could connect your subs to the amp with banana plugs and easily flip them over when listening to DVD-A. It would be almost as quick as flipping a phase switch.

Exactly what I was thinking; The problem was stated as "they don't have any type of polarity switch on'em" which makes me think flipping a plug and flipping a switch aren't that different.

OTOH the solution from SH has a certain simplicity - I wonder if anywhere out there is a pro audio item that would invert polarity in a cost effective manner for those not inclined to roll their own?

#45738 - 03/16/03 11:46 AM Re: 6ch anlog input reversed polarity on sub channel
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
when in digital modes, you have digital delay settings to time align the satellites (all 5 speakers). when you switch to analog, you lose the delay, causing different arrival times of satellite/redirected bass sound.

this means that the out-of-phase adjustment will be different in every setup.

if someone were so inclined to move their sub to a position that's equidistant with the mains, use 80hz for digital HP and test for phase that way, it might verify that it ain't the crossover. you would not be testing the best bass, but rather the phase difference between digital and analog modes.

in other words, i suspect that this problem isn't unique to the 950. phase is time. very few people place their subs with time/distance in mind, and every setup is different in that respect.

just a view from the peanut gallery.

#45739 - 03/16/03 02:24 PM Re: 6ch anlog input reversed polarity on sub channel
The Hun Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Riverside
This is not an acoustical problem,or placement issue, though those considerations are valid to set up "formidable" HT,it doesen't apply here,since the problem is fundamental to a electricalproblem[polarity].
Switching the speaker leads are curing the problem,but it is rather cumbersome way in my case.

#45740 - 03/16/03 03:02 PM Re: 6ch anlog input reversed polarity on sub channel
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
if KCB had said his test revealed a 180 degree shift, i would lean toward the analog crossover as the problem and the switch flipping cure.

the 'possible' scenario i offered IS electrical (with delay, without delay)...not placement...as the problem. placement is a way to test the theory.

in repeating kevin's test, i found the phase difference (less difference than kevin's). i have 2 subs. i placed them equidistant with the front 3 speakers and the difference was reduced.

anyone is free to tell me why that is.

#45741 - 03/16/03 05:27 PM Re: 6ch anlog input reversed polarity on sub channel
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
Moving the sub around can make it sound less displeasing when it's played out of phase.

#45742 - 03/16/03 05:43 PM Re: 6ch anlog input reversed polarity on sub channel
The Hun Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
If KCB had said his test revealed a 180 degree shift, i would lean toward the analog crossover as the problem and the switch flipping cure.

That's what I'm telling ya too!
The subs are in "perfect" placement when I originaly set 'em up using the digital inputs,which is 99% of all my listening[movies, music]it's only when I switch to the 6ch input for the few DVD-A discs that I have[and love],would the problem manifast it self.Since there was no changing on any of the speakers locations[including the subs],it's obvious that the problem lies with the 950!

#45743 - 03/16/03 05:47 PM Re: 6ch anlog input reversed polarity on sub channel
The Hun Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Moving the sub around can make it sound less displeasing when it's played out of phase.

Maybe you oughta give me a hand,my sonosub is 7' tall,and my cube sub is over 150lbs!

#45744 - 03/16/03 06:59 PM Re: 6ch anlog input reversed polarity on sub channel
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Isn't a 7 foot tall sub a risky thing to have in earthquake country? I've arranged my speakers horizontal rather than vertical for that reason.

------------------
The Soundhound Theater

#45745 - 03/16/03 07:47 PM Re: 6ch anlog input reversed polarity on sub channel
The Hun Offline
Gunslinger

Yeah maybe I should laydown my DefTech Towers too!Briliant!

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts