Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#45697 - 03/22/03 02:34 AM Re: LFE ISSUE UPDATE
stott Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Jose, CA
This will make all the difference in the world. I can't wait. Do we need to mail the Outlaws or will posting here be enough?

Thanks
Stott

------------------
Stott

#45698 - 03/22/03 10:54 AM Re: LFE ISSUE UPDATE
grundrc Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Montgomery, TX
bossobass,
Did you get your 950 after 3/17? My original impression after reading this thread was that all 950s prior to ship date of 3/17 had the DTS-ES LFE issue.

Anyone else feel the same?

Ron

#45699 - 03/22/03 12:46 PM Re: LFE ISSUE UPDATE
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
Am I missing something here, or aren't there two problems being discussed in the recent comments:

The phasing issue, which is being addressed by the software update;

The loss of LFE when 'small' is selected and bass signal from other speakers is diverted to the sub, this issue not being addressed by the update?

Maybe Scott can step in here and comment. Thanks!

#45700 - 03/22/03 05:03 PM Re: LFE ISSUE UPDATE
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
I doubt the phase of the sub between the analog and digital crossovers will be addressed. What will be fixed, is the lack of LFE (.1) signal in DTS-ES mode.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#45701 - 03/22/03 10:23 PM Re: LFE ISSUE UPDATE
mennis Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Houston, TX
Will everyone be contacted automatically or is there a form or call that has to be made in order to receive the fixed software?

#45702 - 03/24/03 08:48 PM Re: LFE ISSUE UPDATE
nohjy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lehigh Valley, PA
Any updates? I think Scott said that he would let us know how the fix would be implemented either today or tomorrow.

#45703 - 03/25/03 10:51 AM Re: LFE ISSUE UPDATE
Kiwi Offline
Gunslinger

I've waded through all the postings on this topic and cannot fully comprehend the issue when I think about my own setup, so please bear with me, as i know this is getting tedious.
I have not read here of anyone using the ICBM between the 950 and 755 as I am. I have all speakers set to large in the 950 and use the ICBM to send each speaker the correct signal. That is 40Hz to L&R, 60Hz to the center, and 80Hz to the two surrounds. I have the LFE output amplified by a bridged 2 channel amp to a passive sub.
I'm sure the ICBM is redirecting bass from all the other channels, so how do i test for this LFE problem? My own suspicion is for me to unplug all inputs to the ICBM except the LFE, and if I do not have this problem in my 950, then Gladiator DTS-ES should still pump my sub -- YES ???

#45704 - 03/25/03 11:17 AM Re: LFE ISSUE UPDATE
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I think Kevin's nice procedure for testing it should still work in your case (from a post in the previous thread):

Quote:
Here's the best way to test it:

1) Turn all of your speakers off.
2) Set all of your speakers as small in the 950. Sub on.
3) Find a bass intensive scene in your favorite DTS or DTS-ES disc. With either DTS or DTS-ES mode on the 950 selected, you should hear sound out of your sub. You might have to turn it up to hear it.
4) Now, change all of your speakers to large, sub on in the 950. Keep all of your speakers off.
5) Repeat #3. I bet you get LFE to the sub with DTS, but not DTS-ES.

You obviously have to be using the digital connection between your DVD player and the 950.

In your case, you could probably skip the "small speaker" approach and see if your sub gets a signal with the other speakers off. You will need to either disable the bass management in the ICBM or disconnect the pre-amp inputs from the full-range speakers (only have the LFE signal from the 950 going to the ICBM, so that it doesn't mix anything else in). It was pretty readily apparent when I tried it last week.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#45705 - 03/25/03 03:21 PM Re: LFE ISSUE UPDATE
chris3g Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Kiwi:
I've waded through all the postings on this topic and cannot fully comprehend the issue when I think about my own setup, so please bear with me, as i know this is getting tedious.
I have not read here of anyone using the ICBM between the 950 and 755 as I am. I have all speakers set to large in the 950 and use the ICBM to send each speaker the correct signal. That is 40Hz to L&R, 60Hz to the center, and 80Hz to the two surrounds. I have the LFE output amplified by a bridged 2 channel amp to a passive sub.
I'm sure the ICBM is redirecting bass from all the other channels, so how do i test for this LFE problem? My own suspicion is for me to unplug all inputs to the ICBM except the LFE, and if I do not have this problem in my 950, then Gladiator DTS-ES should still pump my sub -- YES ???

all you need to do is set your ICBM crossovers to "bypass" for every channel, and play a DTS-ES track. Make sure the outlaw is set for 6 or 7 speakers and is in ES mode. You should get no output from your sub.

#45706 - 03/25/03 08:23 PM Re: LFE ISSUE UPDATE
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
This is interesting to read, but you have to really read it to understand what the dude is saying:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=132121

Bottom line, LFE/crossover flaw on the Denon 3803 (and 1803 looks like too). The reason why I put this is here, is because, a) the 3803 *really* doesn't have software upgradeability, and, b) this unit is right in the 950's price range as a receiver-as-a-pre/pro.

In the context of the LFE/DTS-ES issue on the 950, this is just an interesting industry benchmark.

[This message has been edited by Kevin C Brown (edited March 25, 2003).]

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 132 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM