Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#45707 - 03/26/03 04:32 PM Re: LFE ISSUE UPDATE
nohjy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lehigh Valley, PA
So what's the deal? How are they going to implement the fix? I have a line on a cheap B&K Ref. 50 and I am getting antsy to pull the trigger and return the 950. I am so confused...

C'mon Scott how is this going to work? I need to know so I can make a decision on what processor I will be going with.

#45708 - 03/26/03 04:57 PM Re: LFE ISSUE UPDATE
Unferth Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Homewood, AL, US
Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin C Brown:
Bottom line, LFE/crossover flaw on the Denon 3803 (and 1803 looks like too). The reason why I put this is here, is because, a) the 3803 *really* doesn't have software upgradeability, and, b) this unit is right in the 950's price range as a receiver-as-a-pre/pro.
[/B]

In the way he described it I can't imagine that anyone would design bass management to behave that way...

So.. it all matters when bass management is applied, before levels are set or after...

in this case then all of the speakers should be set to the same level or there'd be all kinds of varying bass levels... in my case I've got very insensitive main speakers which are set to -5db, the center is at -9 and the surrounds are at -11 and the back surrounds are at -15... but I guess ideally dvd's wouldn't be mixed to send much low frequency info to the surrounds and center..

So Scott, when does the 950 apply bass management? before or after levels are adjusted?

#45709 - 03/27/03 06:21 PM Re: LFE ISSUE UPDATE
chris3g Offline
Gunslinger

in case anyone was still wondering, my personal testings confirm no LFE in DTS-ES mode with an Atlantic Technology P2000

#45710 - 03/27/03 08:43 PM Re: LFE ISSUE UPDATE
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
Quote:
Originally posted by Unferth:
[B] In the way he described it I can't imagine that anyone would design bass management to behave that way...

So.. it all matters when bass management is applied, before levels are set or after...

in this case then all of the speakers should be set to the same level or there'd be all kinds of varying bass levels... B]

bass management adjusts levels of redirected bass and LFE in the summing modules according to the speaker configuration (dolby 0, dolby 1, dolby 2, etc.). the signals used to do this, in the case of redirected bass, are duplicates of the 5 satellite signals. the subwoofer calibration has nothing to do with the individual satellite calibrations.

the only variable as regards redirected bass level, is user adjustment of the subwoofer level. this also affects the LFE signal equally, as the composite redirected bass signal and the LFE signal are summed to form 'one digital bass signal'. except, of course, in the case of all satellites set to 'large', where the sub gets only LFE.

i'm fairly certain that the 3803 was not designed to do what the poster said his does. IMO, he has a defective receiver.

#45711 - 03/30/03 02:32 PM Re: LFE ISSUE UPDATE
Xen Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Carlsbad, CA, USA
Just how many people are reporting this bug?

And what is the ratio to those who did (or didn't do) the replacement for the 'hiss' issue?

[This message has been edited by Xen (edited March 30, 2003).]

#45712 - 03/30/03 03:05 PM Re: LFE ISSUE UPDATE
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
I am sidetracked by a new pursuit for the month and just now dragged out 2 DTS-ES I own. Glad. & CastA. I'm assuming LFE is either ON/OFF if you have the bug? Not simply reduced output from my sub, requiring closer observation with my SPL? I've got LFE on one of my 950's in DTS-ES.

Edit: after paying attention, Could not remember without dragging out the manual where to turn speakers (OFF), without unplugging the connects. Just left them on with sub trim boosted and rechecked after spotting the large/small parameters of Kevin’s laid out simple test.

With sub on, all speakers (small) I have LFE in DTS-ES. When sub is on, only mains (large) reduced LFE. When sub is on, all speakers (large), No LFE.

Did not notice the large/small effect prior since I normally leave speakers defaulted to small, (because the guys don’t think to change that. (a protective action on my part towards my Beethoven’s. SO if they boost sub trim 100% when I’m not around they won’t be stressing my speakers as badly when additionally they also roll up the dB, and I’m not here to monitor).

I do have the bug? Only exhibits when speakers (large).
Edit again: Sorry should be reaaaadng instead of skimming. My summed bass below CO's is what I'm hearing while speakers are set to small. So thats why no LFE in large, which then glaringly displays the lack of .1 being processed.

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited March 30, 2003).]

#45713 - 03/30/03 03:16 PM Re: LFE ISSUE UPDATE
JkFruit Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Orange, CA
Quote:
When sub is on, all speakers (large), No LFE.

Your 950 has the bug.

#45714 - 04/01/03 11:16 AM Re: LFE ISSUE UPDATE
Kiwi Offline
Gunslinger

Chris, this did not work. Bypass selection just made every speaker run full range I believe. They all still operated anyhow and the ICBM still will reroute bass I think.
Pulling all the inputs from the ICBM but the LFE, should relieve the rerouting and only the LFE signal to the sub should be in evidence.
Now, In this scenario, I ran Gladiator till i found an LFE signal in Dolby D. This was 8.09 and 8.16 into the initial fight scene. (2nd chapter.) I reran this test with the DTS-ES signal and I have the same LFE signal and it was a little stronger yet !
This tells me I do not have the problem !
This disc actually has very little LFE, I almost decided I had the bug !
It is possible a lot of folks will mis diagnose, so i'd love to hear someone say they tried this test track and did NOT get an LFE response.

Quote:
Originally posted by chris3g:
all you need to do is set your ICBM crossovers to "bypass" for every channel, and play a DTS-ES track. Make sure the outlaw is set for 6 or 7 speakers and is in ES mode. You should get no output from your sub.

#45715 - 04/01/03 12:41 PM Re: LFE ISSUE UPDATE
chris3g Offline
Gunslinger

The ICBM will not route information for speakers set to "bypass" to the sub unless you have the recombine switch on, which you shouldn't. IF you're getting non-lfe sub output with all crossovers set to bypass then you need to flick that switch to off.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kiwi:
Chris, this did not work. Bypass selection just made every speaker run full range I believe. They all still operated anyhow and the ICBM still will reroute bass I think.
Pulling all the inputs from the ICBM but the LFE, should relieve the rerouting and only the LFE signal to the sub should be in evidence.
Now, In this scenario, I ran Gladiator till i found an LFE signal in Dolby D. This was 8.09 and 8.16 into the initial fight scene. (2nd chapter.) I reran this test with the DTS-ES signal and I have the same LFE signal and it was a little stronger yet !
This tells me I do not have the problem !
This disc actually has very little LFE, I almost decided I had the bug !
It is possible a lot of folks will mis diagnose, so i'd love to hear someone say they tried this test track and did NOT get an LFE response.

#45716 - 04/02/03 11:57 AM Re: LFE ISSUE UPDATE
Kiwi Offline
Gunslinger

Oh great, now i have to redo this !
Just kidding, I actually do flip the recombine switch on for movies that are radical, and off for everything else.
I need to retest anyway, as I'm thinking about something else I read about in one of the postings. Before I do retest though, what are your thoughts on this:
DTS-ES is a 6.1 enhanced surround format correct? Now,in my case, I have but 5.1 speakers and only these enabled in the 950. Am I correct in now assuming that even when I select the DTS-ES track within the discs menu, the 950 will only give me DTS ?
What makes me think this is that the 950 briefly displays DTS-ES when I select it, but then the display flips back to DTS. DTS-ES does not remain on the display as I believe it should. If this is actually happening, then my test result from yesterday is flawed !
I believe I must reset the 950 to 6.1 to fool it into thinking i have the extra surround and retest ??
And now I read about another wrench in the works, Center channel not redirecting bass frequencies - Man this all starting to sound like a Microsoft scenario: the-public-is-our-research-and-development-program philosophy!

Quote:
Originally posted by chris3g:
The ICBM will not route information for speakers set to "bypass" to the sub unless you have the recombine switch on, which you shouldn't. IF you're getting non-lfe sub output with all crossovers set to bypass then you need to flick that switch to off.

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users