Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#4558 - 03/23/04 10:18 AM Need help with used 1050
zmarke Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Since I am not buying or selling a 1050 via this board I hope my questions will not be a problem. I am looking for information to help me make an informed purchase of a 1050 from an auction site.

What was the original selling price of the 1050?

What is the current selling/buying range for a used 1050?

How about a 1050 that is about 2 years old in good working condition but without the original box?

I have downloaded the manual from the website to review but wanted to know if there are any important issues concerning the 1050 that I should know about before I purchase this used model:
processing?
amplification?
remote?
inputs?

I am just starting with home theater and thought this would be a good entry. If I like it I can always upgrade to seperates down the road.

Thanks!

#4559 - 03/23/04 02:09 PM Re: Need help with used 1050
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The 1050 sold for $599 when it was first released, but dropped to $499 a year or so later. I've seen them on eBay and such sites for around $400. The transferrable warranty ends at two years, which may be an issue for some buyers, but the box isn't too big a deal.

Processing options with the 1050 are fairly complete -- Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Digital, DTS, and even a proprietary approach to Dolby EX. It does lack true Dolby EX, DTS ES, and Pro Logic II, but it is still a very good piece of equipment. The 65W/channel rating has been widely regarded as a very conservative number -- the 1050 will drive a wide range of speakers very comfortably. The pre-amp outputs also allow for a separate power amp, allowing you to start your upgrade to separates slowly. There are a good assortment of inputs, and the universal remote is pretty good (when I had my 1050, I used the included remote to control the 1050, the TV, VCR, DVD player, and CD changer).

The one issue concerning the 1050 (which I believe also affects a fair number of Onkyo receivers from 2000) is caused by a handful of recent titles using a Dolby Digital EX decoding flag that forces the 1050 to engage its 6.1 Surround mode (the 1050's 6.1 Surround pre-dates the availability of Dolby Digital EX decoding by almost two years). When that happens, data from the surrounds is shifted to the surround back channel. If you don't have a surround back speaker, you could lose some of the surround audio on those discs.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

Who's Online
0 registered (), 141 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts