Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#45533 - 04/09/03 02:18 PM Re: Simplicity? Do your spouses like the 950? Help!
Alex Prosak Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Eagle River, AK
I agree that the remote makes the 950 difficult to use. I can figure it out for myself and program things as needed but I know my wife would never be able to figure it out. She would like to be able to watch movies on the HT when I'm not there sometimes but hasn't figured out how to work the system. I'd love to reduce everything to one remote but I've still got 4 lying around the coffee table.

I'm considering the MX-500 as a replacement. Is it possible to get all the functions of the SL-9000 into the '500? Do I need the 8811 w/ JP1 All in One to do this or can I get by with just the MX-500? I'd rather not fork over the $ for a 700, are there any other good remotes to consider besides these 2? I need something that will be relatively simple so I don't have to write a manual for my wife to understand how to use it.

#45534 - 04/09/03 02:54 PM Re: Simplicity? Do your spouses like the 950? Help!
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The MX-500 has been pretty widely complemented around here. It is not a JP1 remote, so you don't need to (can't) do anything with that. There is this goodie if you want to use your computer to configure the MX-500. It should be able to learn everything without much trouble. Several people here are using them with 950's, apparently with a great deal of success. As with any universal remote, it will take some work on the front end to get it set up so you and your wife can readily use it to control everything.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#45535 - 04/09/03 04:00 PM Re: Simplicity? Do your spouses like the 950? Help!
Jakester Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: O'Fallon MO USA
Mr_D -

Have you already purchased the Tivo? I just wanted to mention that I bought the DISH PVR 721 and my wife loves it. It has two tuners - you can record one show while watching another or watch a previously recorded show while recording up to two more at the same time! It has a nice GUI and is easy to use and has been reliable. Also, if you buy a Pay-Per-View movie that is in Dolby Digital (many are) it will output the Dolby Digital signal during playback for true 5.1 surround during playback. We use this feature a lot - hardly ever run to the store to rent a DVD anymore.

I had not seen anyone else mention the PVR 721, so I just wanted to let you know my wife and I love ours. And if you are new to DISH you can get one, along with the dish itself and installation, at a great price.

Finally, I imagine you will love your separate amps. I have seen firsthand the difference a "real" amp can make several times - it is not subtle. Most receivers simply do not have the high-current available that is needed to give a big, open soundstage with a lot of "air." I expect will be going back soon for 3 more amp channels! BTW, I highly recommend buying at least one more channel right now upfront - the center channel carries the majority of the load during movies and would benefit greatly from a dedicated amp channel.

Hope this additional info opens up another possibility or two.

#45536 - 04/09/03 05:52 PM Re: Simplicity? Do your spouses like the 950? Help!
Alex Prosak Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Eagle River, AK
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
The MX-500 has been pretty widely complemented around here. It is not a JP1 remote, so you don't need to (can't) do anything with that. There is this goodie if you want to use your computer to configure the MX-500. It should be able to learn everything without much trouble. Several people here are using them with 950's, apparently with a great deal of success. As with any universal remote, it will take some work on the front end to get it set up so you and your wife can readily use it to control everything.

I realize it isn't a JP1 remote but I got the impression there are some discrete commands that the MX-500 isn't capable of learning directly. To bypass that a couple of places sell a package that comes with a JP1 remove that can receive the discrete commands and then transfer them to the MX-500. A bit of a PITA but doable. It would be a savings of $50 vs the irclone but whether or not it would be a savings in time...?

I'll go over the options with my wife tonight but right now I'm leaning toward the 700. Although I'm not keen on touchscreen remotes I'll also give her the option of the Pronto 3000.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Who's Online
0 registered (), 149 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts