Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 7 of 11 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#45451 - 03/09/03 09:53 AM Re: No LFE w/DTS-ES
nohjy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lehigh Valley, PA
With all due respect to scott's response, his "interim configuration" does not suffice. I bought this unit to be able to experience the latest formats and now I know that this is not possible. My favorite surround mix of all time is that of gladiator. I have watched that movie more times on my Denon 3802 than any other. Now that I have "upgraded" to the 950, I was hoping to be able to gain even better clarity and channel separation when listening to this wonderful movie. This latest information is really making me regret my purchase. I will be getting the last piece for my HT system this coming week in the form of high quality 5-channel amplifier (this will complete my 7.1 setup) and I now know that I will ne be able to get the full experience of my favorite movie!! I was hoping for better from the outlaws. They had that problem with the hiss/hum which took them months to fix. How long will this take? Am I going to have to send my 950 back for repair/upgrade only to wait weeks for its return? What is the next issue? Are we beta testers or end consumers? All of this should have been worked out in QC.

I am frustrated!!!!!

#45452 - 03/09/03 10:07 AM Re: No LFE w/DTS-ES
nohjy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lehigh Valley, PA
has anyone tried a firmware reset? I know you can do it. I just wonder if that would help.

Just a thought!

#45453 - 03/09/03 10:29 AM Re: No LFE w/DTS-ES
Keta Offline
Desperado

Loc: Central VA
The S&V test disk does have a chapter for DTS-ES 6-1 speaker ID. I think I'm seeing what others are. With rear surround there is no LFE, with no rear surround you get LFE. Noticed that once you turn rear surround off it won't come back on until the chapter ends on the DVD. Once the chapter ends the initial flag is DTS then switches to DTS-ES with the rear surround operational but no LFE until you turn rear surround off.

#45454 - 03/09/03 11:13 AM Re: No LFE w/DTS-ES
Keta Offline
Desperado

Loc: Central VA
Just another side note the S&V test disk allows you to test both DTS-ES discrete and DTS-ES matrix. Both function the same concerning rear surround on = no LFE

#45455 - 03/09/03 01:06 PM Re: No LFE w/DTS-ES
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Independence, Ohio, USA!!
doesnt 5.1 DTS work with CES? Meaning your 5.1 turns into 7.1?

If losing the LFE only happens in discrete DTS-ES, i'd use the 7.1 CES. But then again, your not getting your $$'s worth...a reason why I will wait to see how and when this gets cleared up.

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/spoonmandts

#45456 - 03/09/03 02:16 PM Re: No LFE w/DTS-ES
eskendir Offline
Gunslinger

I was debating whether to go with the Outlaw 950 or Rotel 1066 for a long time. I have now made my mind to go with the Rotel. With that ugly and cheap look of the 950, and a few bugs here and there my decision to go with the Rotel for extra money is probably a wise decision down the road. I don't think I will consider a product from Outlaw again for quite some time. Hope Rotel doesn't have the same problem b/c Rotel uses the same Cirrus DSP chip.

[This message has been edited by eskendir (edited March 09, 2003).]

#45457 - 03/09/03 02:28 PM Re: No LFE w/DTS-ES
eskendir Offline
Gunslinger

Anyone experienced this same LFE problem with Rotel 1066? I think Rotel uses the same Cirrus DSP chip.

#45458 - 03/09/03 03:12 PM Re: No LFE w/DTS-ES
chris3g Offline
Gunslinger

the rotel does not have this particular problem, but it does have it's own set of issues regarding bass management.

#45459 - 03/09/03 04:35 PM Re: No LFE w/DTS-ES
wmarkw Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Denver, CO
Did some testing of my own. Currently I do not have a full 7.1 setup. I'm running my 950/7100 combo as a 5.1 system. From reading the posts on this thread, the LFE issue is with the dts:es in Large speaker mode? Correct? I have my setup as small and changed my surrounds from "none" to lb/rb and did the LOTR Ch.1 with the big bass drop and LFE was very present. Same for the 6 channel setup. But was more present when selected as none. Wierd. Now I switched my speaker config to large all the way around and did the same tests and there was NO lfe present at all.

This doesn't bother me too much because I will never set my speakers up as large to begin with. I do see it as irritating though, paying a lot of money for a potentially faulty unit. From Scott's response above I'm confident this will be solved rapidly.

This is my first go around with Outlaw. Lets say they do determine there is something wrong and correct the problem, will current 950 owners be allowed to exchange our units for a fixed one at no additional costs? If so, cool with me and I will continue to enjoy my 950/7100 combo until a replacement is determined to be needed. Does circles around my old yamaha A/V!!!

#45460 - 03/09/03 04:40 PM Re: No LFE w/DTS-ES
charlie Offline
Desperado

Apparently the 'problem' is with DTS-ES - If some speakers are set to 'small' you still get no LFE, but some output is generated to the sub due to redirected bass, thus disguising the problem and making it hard to diagnose. Sub output and LFE are not synonymous. Scott or someone from Outlaw will announce what the engineers find as soon as the problem is well defined if past performance is any indicator.

Too bad the firmware isn't flashable - it would save somebody some money in the near future I bet.

Page 7 of 11 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 129 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts